Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF CB Rankings
(06-02-2021, 05:47 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: Jackson absolutely should thrive in Washington.   It is one of the most corner-friendly situations in the league.

Yes, with that pass rush they can play more Man coverage over there then we can, he fits.

We needed CB's who could play more Zone in Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Allen, Apple etc.

Watch if Washington plays WJ3 in Zone coverage though, he just isn't good in Zone at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, with that pass rush they can play more Man coverage over there then we can, he fits.

We needed CB's who could play more Zone in Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Allen, Apple etc.

Watch if Washington plays WJ3 in Zone coverage though, he just isn't good in Zone at all.

My question would be this, is it the fault of coaches or the player or talent evaluators then? 

For example:

If he struggles in zone, why did they not coach him up to be better? Coaching fail or player can't do it?

If he struggles in zone, why didn't they play more man? Coaching fail? Seems like Phillips is also better in man.

If he struggles in zone, why didn't they see this before drafting him and instead draft a guy that fit their scheme?

It seems to happen a good amount with this team and I honestly question where the failing is happening the most. Do the coaches just not know how to properly use players or not coach them up enough? Or are they just not digging deep enough on these guys to see they don't fit or can't be coached up to the Bengals scheme?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
PFF ranked Mike Hilton as the #4 slot CB in the league.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PFF ranked Mike Hilton as the #4 slot CB in the league.

Really have to hope the Bengals are smart enough to continue using him to rush the passer. If they drop him into coverage only, they are wasting a really strong part of his game.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:25 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: My question would be this, is it the fault of coaches or the player or talent evaluators then? 

For example:

If he struggles in zone, why did they not coach him up to be better? Coaching fail or player can't do it?

If he struggles in zone, why didn't they play more man? Coaching fail? Seems like Phillips is also better in man.

If he struggles in zone, why didn't they see this before drafting him and instead draft a guy that fit their scheme?

It seems to happen a good amount with this team and I honestly question where the failing is happening the most. Do the coaches just not know how to properly use players or not coach them up enough? Or are they just not digging deep enough on these guys to see they don't fit or can't be coached up to the Bengals scheme?

The difference between playing zone and playing man are negligible.  The Bengals played a lot of zone last year and Jackson was not that bad. 95% of cover skills are the same in man and zone. Some players might be better in one than the other but a good CB can play either.

No CB that can't play zone coverage is going to be ranked in the top 10 like Jackson.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2021, 01:25 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: My question would be this, is it the fault of coaches or the player or talent evaluators then? 

For example:

Jackson was drafted back when they played more of a man cover scheme, IIRC.
I agree though that this says a lot if you need to get rid of players who aren't good fits to your defensive scheme vs adjusting your scheme to fit your players. That's on Lou (and Zac for offense).
I'm a bit puzzled by the addition of Waynes. He's never really been much of a zone guy, I thought? I guess we'll see on him this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

For example:

All great questions, it is all of those things. But bottom line your Corners have to be able to play both Zone and Man coverage.

WJ3 was not a good Zone Corner at times and we all saw it when he got beat. He got confused in Zone.

Understandable, I sucked in Zone in basketball but was good at Man on Defense. Just a different mind set you have to adapt to.
Reply/Quote