Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney!
Man, do I like that move by the Patriots.

They sent a 5th round pick for Trent Brown and a 7th round pick. Brown restructured his deal to be a 1 year deal worth up to 11 million dollars. (I haven't seen the incentive structure, but I have to believe some of it's tied to games played, as his missed time these last two years)

Seems like a great move to me. Swap a 5th for a 7th, and get to rent Trent Brown for a year with incentives built in. Brown is only 27 was widely considered one of the best RT's in the game earlier in his career.

How cool would it have been to plug him in for Bobby Hart this year, for not all that much more money (+4 mil), with protections built in via incentives?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 10:39 AM)pally Wrote: Patriots just traded for Trent Williams.  Pats beat reporters seem to believe this means that Thuney will not be tagged as they can't afford both players

No chance Thuney will return they have Shaq Mason at RG who's good/ well paid and Michael Onwenu was a stud rookie for them he'll be the other guard with Wynn and Brown as the tackles. 
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals miss out on Thuney things get interesting in terms of putting impact players around Burrow. With Moton/ Scherff tagged there next best options at O-line would probably be guys like Jackson/ Norwell/ Zetiler/ Matt Feiler. I can't see them signing Trent Williams who's 33. Idk if it makes sense to pay Hunter Henry big money when he's always hurt. Far as WR they need an outside guy with speed. Golladay fits that mold but he will cost a ton plus there's a good chance the Lions tag him. Goodwin and Robinson are slot WR's similar to Boyd. Corey Davis makes sense for the Bengals. Then if you sign Davis at WR and Swell gets taken and Chase is there can you pass on him ?, When you have 3 starting WR or do you maybe go Pitts ? There's a lot of interesting scenarios.
Reply/Quote
If they could somehow get Joe Thuney and Trent Williams, then I'd be all for Chase or Pitts at 5.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:40 AM)Bernards watch Wrote: You mean Trent brown?

yes...thank you

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Jaguars just surprisingly tagged Cam Robinson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kyle Long unretiring is kind of intriguing to me. He retired because he was banged up, but he is supposedly 315, shredded, and healthy so I think there should be some intrigue there by the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 03:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Kyle Long unretiring is kind of intriguing to me. He retired because he was banged up, but he is supposedly 315, shredded, and healthy so I think there should be some intrigue there by the team.

Yeah but, with his injury history, no thanks.  He only played in like half the games in his last three seasons.  

Being away from the NFL and being in better shape might solve those problems, but would he really be interested in coming here?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 03:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah but, with his injury history, no thanks.  He only played in like half the games in his last three seasons.  

Being away from the NFL and being in better shape might solve those problems, but would he really be interested in coming here?

I think getting a year off to heal goes a long way in being able to be healthy going forward. As to is he willing to come here? Who knows, is anyone willing to come here? I guess we will find out, but that is another guard option beyond the "Thuney or bust" belief we could look at.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Jaguars just surprisingly tagged Cam Robinson.

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 03:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

This is what I was kind of getting at earlier. The market I think is about to be really weird for young guys at premium positions. I think they will end up getting a longer-term deal done with him.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 01:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Jaguars just surprisingly tagged Cam Robinson.

Jags gonna Jag?

While they are busy making silly decisions, see if they are willing to part with Minshew for couch change. Would be a hell of a backup.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 03:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think getting a year off to heal goes a long way in being able to be healthy going forward. As to is he willing to come here? Who knows, is anyone willing to come here? I guess we will find out, but that is another guard option beyond the "Thuney or bust" belief we could look at.

The Bengals would be smart to add proven veterans to the offensive line instead of hoping a bunch of draft picks could possibly protect Burrow and open holes for Mixon. 

I know alot of people are Joe Thuney or bust but honestly we are talking about a Guard that is an average run blocker and that usually the first skill set you look for in a Guard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:33 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals would be smart to add proven veterans to the offensive line instead of hoping a bunch of draft picks could possibly protect Burrow and open holes for Mixon. 

I know alot of people are Joe Thuney or bust but honestly we are talking about a Guard that is an average run blocker and that usually the first skill set you look for in a Guard.

If you told me I could have Daryl Williams and say Gabe Jackson/Kyle Long for a total of 17-18 million a year, I'd be doing backflips. That's the kind of move that let's you still go and tag/sign Lawson and add potentially another rusher and a mid-tier veteran corner. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:33 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals would be smart to add proven veterans to the offensive line instead of hoping a bunch of draft picks could possibly protect Burrow and open holes for Mixon. 

Yeah, they could potentially solidify both guard spots by adding Matt Feiler and Gabe Jackson...for the price of one Joe Thuney. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 05:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, they could potentially solidify both guard spots by adding Matt Feiler and Gabe Jackson...for the price of one Joe Thuney. 

Feiler can play guard...but you don't want Feiler playing guard if you don't have to. He is much better at RT than he is playing guard.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 05:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Feiler can play guard...but you don't want Feiler playing guard if you don't have to. He is much better at RT than he is playing guard.

If they do run alot more zone stretch he may fit better at guard... Actually he may not fit at all in a wide zone scheme. 

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 05:18 PM)Synric Wrote: If they do run alot more zone stretch he may fit better at guard... Actually he may not fit at all in a wide zone scheme. 

After watching the struggles of Pittsburgh attempting to run last year, I'll pas on pretty much that whole crew.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 05:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: Feiler can play guard...but you don't want Feiler playing guard if you don't have to. He is much better at RT than he is playing guard.

Feiler is a very solid RT, but isn't exactly a slouch at LG either: 'He finished 5th among all right tackles in PFF's pass-blocking grades in 2019. He was also ranked 12th in that same metric among left guards in 2020.' - 'he’s been good at right tackle and above average at left guard.'
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 07:59 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Id like to sign Guard Will Hernandez from the Giants.. He was good he's young. I think Pollack could get the best out of him.

Just curious, where does Will Hernandez and for that matter Zeitler rank in PFF guard grades?  For some reason we've had 3 years of a lovefest on this forum for Will Hernandez even before the he got drafted.  Is he really that good?  Why didn't the Giants extend him to keep Saquan happy?
Reply/Quote