Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Free Agency Preview
(02-12-2020, 12:43 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Exactly Glenn is a good as gone can’t believe people think they would actually keep him. If he faked the concussion you don’t want him on the team and if you think he didn’t then he still needs to be cut because he’s one hit away from being out for the season. Plus Glenn has been in the league 10 years and hasn’t played guard since college and they wouldn’t pay him 9.5 million to play guard for a year.

You bring up a lot of valid points, but it might be in Glenn's best interest to move to guard.
He's 30 years old now, so a move to guard could extend his career in terms of being a good player longer.
Also, guards are getting paid much closer to OTs now, so it's not like it's a big drop off in cash.
If Glenn moves to LG, he still wouldn't be in the top 10 in terms of salary at the guard position, so it'd still be a bargain for the Bengals compared to whats expected for a guy like Joe Thuney.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Front Office made bold changes by bringing in ZT and others. Will they follow up with another bold move and hire blue chip FA?

What infuriates me most is this antiquated attitude toward FA and desire to build through the draft while maintaining the smallest draft war room and scouting department in the league. If they want Burrow to succeed, then they need at least 2 top FA.

Another point of contention is that Mike Brown doesn't put effort, money, concerns in the performance of the OL. The guards are the lowest rated in league or near the bottom. Bengals could have brought in the best OL coach in NFL in Callahan but decided to keep Turner instead. I think the OL improved but why not bring in Callahan, even if not for the appearance they care about progress.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals won't have room to bring in any good FAs if they keep all of Dalton, Glenn, and Kirkpatrick.
$45 mill is really in the low-mid 30's due to the Bengals needing to reserve cap for the draft and injuries.
And that would get eaten up just by signing Green, Billings, Dennard, and maybe Vigil.

Dropping Dalton and Glenn ($27 mill in total) should be about enough to sign Thuney and Littleton, which would be fantastic for the Bengals.
I doubt they would cut Kirkpatrick unless they can get Dennard re-signed and WJ3 extended in March.

Agreed, have to drop Dalton and Glenn. Don't care how we do it. Would prefer to get some picks out of them but if not, so be it.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You bring up a lot of valid points, but it might be in Glenn's best interest to move to guard.
He's 30 years old now, so a move to guard could extend his career in terms of being a good player longer.
Also, guards are getting paid much closer to OTs now, so it's not like it's a big drop off in cash.
If Glenn moves to LG, he still wouldn't be in the top 10 in terms of salary at the guard position, so it'd still be a bargain for the Bengals compared to whats expected for a guy like Joe Thuney.

Give me a Guard that can run block. Glenn is soft in the run game. 

Thuney would be expensive but he would be worth it.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Give me a Guard that can run block. Glenn is soft in the run game. 

Thuney is my top target, must have for this team.  He's local, terribly versatile and would be an exact fit of the ideal FA.  There's no reason not to pay the man.  If they're justifying 9.5M for an injury(concussions at that) prone malcontent to play guard, cut him if they say they don't have the money for both.  

Jones is a pipedream, I'm all for upgrading other positions but linebacker is an absolute.  You can't call Burrow's name, tell him to forget national perception and say you want to win if you're that pathetic at LB.  Both the draft and FA doesn't have a lot of top end depth, but you have to bring in balanced starter minimum but ideally two.  
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:19 PM)phil413 Wrote: Thuney is my top target, must have for this team.  He's local, terribly versatile and would be an exact fit of the ideal FA.  There's no reason not to pay the man.  If they're justifying 9.5M for an injury(concussions at that) prone malcontent to play guard, cut him if they say they don't have the money for both.  

Jones is a pipedream, I'm all for upgrading other positions but linebacker is an absolute.  You can't call Burrow's name, tell him to forget national perception and say you want to win if you're that pathetic at LB.  Both the draft and FA doesn't have a lot of top end depth, but you have to bring in balanced starter minimum but ideally two.  

Hit the nail on the head about Thuney and cutting Glenn Phil.

Jones who?
Reply/Quote
Need to trade Dalton for what we can get and cut Glenn. He has just been injury prone, discontented and not very effective - way below his value. They should also either cut Dre or redo his contract.

I think Thuney and Littleton are critical. We'll have to overpay, but it will be worth it. Then sign AJ to top tier contract that is conditional on his being healthy and staying that way - and producing, which I think he will definitely do if he's healthy. Also sign Dennard, Billings and Eifert.

sign Thuney and Littleton. It would be nice to have Vigil as a backup if it can be done realistically.

And they will have to draft well at interior Oline and Tackle as well as adding a WR. They may have to trade down in the 2nd to get all the pieces we want.

OP is correct, it's the right time to do this. We have the money if we manage our players right. If we set Burrow up from the get go we could turn things around quickly.
Reply/Quote
I feel it will go something like this. Keep glen he has a high cap hit, resign AJ to way more than we should pay a guy 32 with major injury history the last few years, resign Eifort to make him top 10 paid TE, extent Mixon to a huge cap hit, sign 2 former big names that havent been productive for 2 year and 3 scrubs. This will be the easiest way for MB and company to use the cap money and look like they did something. I also would not shock me if they keep Dalton and say they didn't get an offer they liked.
Reply/Quote

Which means a few under the radar outside signings with those two incoming large contracts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2020, 02:27 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Some pretty interesting stuff.  I did not realize our guards were so bad.  What do you think of their recommended cuts and additions?

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Projected cap space: $44.7 million

Players to target: CB Byron Jones, G Joe Thuney, TE Hunter Henry

Soon-to-be unrestricted free agents: WR A.J. Green, DI Andrew Billings, CB Darqueze Dennard, TE Tyler Eifert, S Clayton Fejedelem, T John Jerry, LB Nick Vigil

Potential cuts: T Cordy Glenn (saves $9.5 million in 2020), CB Dre Kirkpatrick (saves $8.4 million in 2020), QB Andy Dalton (saves $17.7 million in 2020)

Since Cincinnati didn’t trade wide receiver A.J. Green at the in-season deadline, it’d be hard to imagine them letting him walk in free agency. A long-term deal or the franchise tag is destined to happen. He hasn’t stepped on the field since Week 13 of 2018, but we have to recognize how great of a player Green is when healthy. Even with not playing the past year and a half, Green still ranks fourth in deep receiving yards (20-plus yard targets) and is tied for first in deep touchdowns since coming into the league in 2011. He’s exactly who Joe Burrow needs, and he should be a priority for Cincinnati this offseason. Cordy Glenn and Dre Kirkpatrick both had limited time on the field in their 2019 seasons due to injury, and if Cincinnati is serious about winning immediately, they would cut both to bring in an extra $18 million to make some plays. In two of the past three seasons, Darqueze Dennard has been one of the top 10 slot corners in PFF coverage grade. Cincinnati can bring him back for a low cost and form a nice secondary with him, William Jackson III, Darius Phillips and, perhaps, Byron Jones to replace Kirkpatrick. Among all 32 NFL teams, the Bengals' offensive guards were 30th in overall grade and 31st in pass-protection, where they lost more than any team. Signing Joe Thuney, who owns the third best two-year pass-blocking grade at the position, would certainly help.

I have mentioned Thuney a lot at RG, but he is going to set the market for FA guards, and even though he is a local guy, I can't see the Bengals making that deal.  I would be thrilled if they did and I would much rather have him than a CB or TE.  Everyone seems to think they can't get Whit, but I would sure try...

I don't see them trading for a guy to replace Kirkpatrick, but Phillips could certainly fill that role, and a draft pick could provide quality depth.  

I would love to see them save the money by parting with Glenn and perhaps trading Dre K and Dalton.  Hopefully that money would be used on other FA like the aforementioned guards.  I think they will sign AJ Green, Billings, Dennard, Fej, and Vigil...
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 12:55 PM)Synric Wrote:
Which means a few under the radar outside signings with those two incoming large contracts.

Also pretty interesting to see that Billings was seen as a bit of a non-priority in that article.  

I've kind of been expecting this.  He's one of the better players in the league at what he does, and will likely get paid well for it.  This will allow them to play the comp pick game that they love so much.  Comp picks are like high-grade elephant fentanyl to Mike and Duke.  They just can't resist. 

Practically speaking, letting Billings go isn't all that insane, I suppose.  Toupou improved quite a bit and could probably assume his role without too big of a drop-off.  They also have Wren, who they seem to think highly of, to develop as a backup.  I don't see them shelling out 8 or 9 mil for a NT type with two mega-cheap options already available in-house.  I hate to see Billings go, but I get it.

Also, if the team dumps all the cap into Mixon and a broken-down Green and uses it as an excuse to forego any meaningful participation in FA, I hope Burrow does pull an Elway.  This is the worst team in football and their only priority is keeping dudes that they already had when they lost 14 ballgames.  I don't know who'd going to buy into some bullshit about them being some secret squirrel great team with a 2-14 roster and some draft picks, but it's not going to be anyone who's been paying attention for the last year.  I hate these people so much.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 12:55 PM)Synric Wrote:

How can they go "all out" on a WR that hasn't played in 24 straight games? They must know something we don't and AJ looks
great is my only answer to this. You have to take into account his injury history as of late and while I want Mixon here long term
RB's are not worth once they once were. A stout O-line like the 49ers have beats a great RB every day and I love Mixon.

Billings also needs to be re-signed and that doesn't seem like a priority here.

These people still don't know games are won in the trenches. It doesn't matter how many weapons Burrow has if he has no time,
injured Receivers and a highly paid RB that has bad run blocking in front of him.

Have to stop the run and Billings is essential in this, trenches please...
Reply/Quote
I like Mixon a lot but everyone in the league knows RBs are overpriced, fungible assets.

Green is just dead money. If it helps the Burrows feel better to have him around, I can justify it, but otherwise this is a bad idea.

Billings, when all of his 360 lbs aren't being dropped into coverage by Capt. Lou, is a beast and one we need to retain.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You bring up a lot of valid points, but it might be in Glenn's best interest to move to guard.

(02-12-2020, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Give me a Guard that can run block. Glenn is soft in the run game. 

WhoDey2 Glenn is or never was a bargain for the Bengals. It's quite clear he doesn't want to be here (if he ever did). With the shit that he pulled this year (the "concussion" of all concussions, the pushing a coach against a wall and his overall play when "healthy") just screams to get this guy out of the locker room, his attitude just sucks.

As far as soft in the run game, I agree. As far as soft goes, I could agree there also.

However, if Glenn wasn't faking that monumental concussion, he needs to retire. If he doesn't, he's one hit away from thinking he's Batman permanently... Ninja  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:38 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Glenn is or never was a bargain for the Bengals. It's quite clear he doesn't want to be here (if he ever did). With the shit that he pulled this year (the "concussion" of all concussions, the pushing a coach against a wall and his overall play when "healthy") just screams to get this guy out of the locker room, his attitude just sucks.

As far as soft in the run game, I agree. As far as soft goes, I could agree there also.

However, if Glenn wasn't faking that monumental concussion, he needs to retire. If he doesn't, he's one hit away from thinking he's Batman permanently... Ninja   

play health aside..  How well can "Batman" block if he thinks hes batman
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:38 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Glenn is or never was a bargain for the Bengals. It's quite clear he doesn't want to be here (if he ever did). With the shit that he pulled this year (the "concussion" of all concussions, the pushing a coach against a wall and his overall play when "healthy") just screams to get this guy out of the locker room, his attitude just sucks.

Financially, he was considered to be.
For the remaining amount Glenn had on his contract, he was not going to be paid like a Top 10 LT or even LG.
The Bengals likely thought that Glenn, who was just a year or two removed from being a really good player, was going to provide them great value for the remainder of his contract.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Financially, he was considered to be.
For the remaining amount Glenn had on his contract, he was not going to be paid like a Top 10 LT or even LG.
The Bengals likely thought that Glenn, who was just a year or two removed from being a really good player, was going to provide them great value for the remainder of his contract.
WhoDey2 I can see that and believe they did think that. Another glaring mistake by the Front Office.

To quote ML: I see better than I hear. What I'm seeing is that Glenn is hot garbage and should be sent packing for the overall health of this football team...soonest...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 04:17 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 I can see that and believe they did think that. Another glaring mistake by the Front Office.

To quote ML: I see better than I hear. What I'm seeing is that Glenn is hot garbage and should be sent packing for the overall health of this football team...soonest...

Glenn was the highest graded OL on the team last year...
If you want to send him packing, fine, but also send Hart, Miller, Price, and Jordan then.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I admit I trust my eyes more than PFFs notorious ratings. Miller looked awful the first half of the season but after the change in the blocking scheme he looked rather a lot better. Jordan also rallied and played a bit better with the new scheme. Even Price looked a bit better.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 04:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Glenn was the highest graded OL on the team last year...
If you want to send him packing, fine, but also send Hart, Miller, Price, and Jordan then.

WhoDey2  I'd be absolutely fine with that.  Hart should've been sent packing after his 1st pre-season game. The only one I'd keep is Price.                         He's a 1st rounder that has talent. There's something going on there that just doesn't sit right with me.

You don't have a college career like Price did, get drafted in the 1st round. Start from game 1 and then go to a seldom used back-                     up in 1 season.

Is/was there an injury? Could it be mental? Could Turner be playing locker room games like he did in Miami?

It'll come out in the wash I'm sure...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

Reply/Quote