Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades Preseason Week 2
Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and decided to sign up for PFF ELITE this season. I consider it buying myself a congratulatory gift for getting a new job. I will do my best to provide a weekly highlight (and lowlight) as the Honorable Truck 101 used to do for us.

Here is what I gathered from the week 2 analysis:

Offense, TOP 3

Brandon Allen. Ok, that was just for laughs. Dude sucked arse like never before. I watched guys like Benkert at Green Bay, Jacoby Brisset at Miami, and Teddy Bridgewater at Denver and I think the Bengals missed the boat on a veteran QB to back up Burrow.

In all seriousness, here are the top 3:

1.) Jacques Patrick- 77.6 in receiving, 73.4 in pass blocking, 82.6 in rushing, and 60.0 in run blocking. Overall grade: 88.6

Very nice day at the office for Patrick. Would be interesting to see if he gets the start over Perine with a series or two with the starting offensive line against Miami. Granted, no one seems to know if this third preseason game will be the old 4th preseason game with virtually no starters, but he has earned a good look.

2.) Playing exclusively at LG (which I find interesting, since RG seems to be the open spot), Mike Jordan scored a 83.9 in pass blocking (17 snaps) and a 76.3 in run blocking (11 snaps). Overall 81.3

I understand the optics of just having him out there since he was the one that got Burrow injured last year, but the guy has improved. We have to give him credit for that. I know the reports out of camp have not been glowing, but against that defensive line, he graded out very well.

3.) Jackson Carman - All 28 snaps coming at RG, he graded a 52.0 in 17 pass-blocking snaps and a 78.2 in 11 run blocking snaps for an overall ranking of 75.0

I know we will all cringe at that pass-blocking grade, but against the #1 ranked front four (that did start) for Washington, I consider it a pretty successful progression for Carman. The run-blocking grade is especially encouraging.

Bottom 3 on Offense:

Lamont Gaillard-
29.3. Didn't even know who this was, but he sucked at Guard.
Kyle Shurmer- 28.7. I think he just fumbled again.
Ja'Marr Chase- 27.0. I don't know how it isn't zero?

Worth Noting:

Quinten Spain was a 4th-from-the-bottom 33. overall, with a solid 79.1 in pass protection and 31.4 in run blocking. I am unsure how much they graded him down for his penalty, but there it is.

Defense, top 3

1.) Logan Wilson. Overall grade of 92.7.

A bit surprising for me, given that I blamed him for the wide-open TE route on the first snap, but he had a really good game.

2.) D. J. Reader- Although he only played in 10 snaps, reader scored an overall grade of 90.4.

I think seeing him with Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, and Hubbard at the same time shows the potential of this line and how much it frees the LBs to make plays.

3.) Trey Hendrickson- Overall grade of 75.4

Not earth-shattering, but a solid night for Hendrickson.

Bottom 3 on Defense:

Amani Bledsoe 43.7- Seemed to be pretty active, but just couldn't finish plays
Tyler Shelvin 31.3- Not so sure about this grade, as I saw him take on double teams and hold his ground.
Joe Bachie 28.2- Came back to earth with a thud

Worth Noting:

Freedom Akinmolundun- Graded out at an overall 75.1, putting him just outside the top 3. Outperformed Tupou (only 6 snaps, though) 63.3 and Wren 60.2. Might be tough for him to get a position on this team, but pretty much ensures that they won't have to trot out the likes of Bledsoe or Mackenzie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and decided to sign up for PFF ELITE this season. I consider it buying myself a congratulatory gift for getting a new job. I will do my best to provide a weekly highlight (and lowlight) as the Honorable Truck 101 used to do for us.

Offense, TOP 3

Brandon Allen. Ok, that was just for laughs. Dude sucked arse like never before. I watched guys like Benkert at Green Bay, Jacoby Brisset at Miami, and Teddy Bridgewater at Denver and I think the Bengals missed the boat on a veteran QB to back up Burrow.

1.) Jacques Patrick- 77.6 in receiving, 73.4 in pass blocking, 82.6 in rushing, and 60.0 in run blocking. Overall grade: 88.6

Very nice day at the office for Patrick. Would be interesting to see if he gets the start over Perine with a series or two with the starting offensive line against Miami. Granted, no one seems to know if this third preseason game will be the old 4th preseason game with virtually no starters, but he has earned a good look.

2.) Playing exclusively at LG (which I find interesting, since RG seems to be the open spot), Mike Jordan scored a 83.9 in pass blocking (17 snaps) and a 76.3 in run blocking (11 snaps). Overall 81.3

I understand the optics of just having him out there since he was the one that got Burrow injured last year, but the guy has improved. We have to give him credit for that. I know the reports out of camp have not been glowing, but against that defensive line, he graded out very well.

3.) Jackson Carman - All 28 snaps coming at RG, he graded a 52.0 in 17 pass-blocking snaps and a 78.2 in 11 run blocking snaps for an overall ranking of 75.0

I know we will all cringe at that pass-blocking grade, but against the #1 ranked front four (that did start) for Washington, I consider it a pretty successful progression for Carman. The run-blocking grade is especially encouraging.

Bottom 3 on Offense:

Lamont Gaillard-
29.3. Didn't even know who this was, but he sucked at Guard.
Kyle Shurmer- 28.7. I think he just fumbled again.
Ja'Marr Chase- 27.0. I don't know how it isn't zero?

Worth Noting:

Quinten Spain was a 4th-from-the-bottom 33. overall, with a solid 79.1 in pass protection and 31.4 in run blocking. I am unsure how much they graded him down for his penalty, but there it is.

Defense, top 3

1.) Logan Wilson. Overall grade of 92.7.

A bit surprising for me, given that I blamed him for the wide-open TE route on the first snap, but he had a really good game.

2.) D. J. Reader- Although he only played in 10 snaps, reader scored an overall grade of 90.4.

I think seeing him with Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, and Hubbard at the same time shows the potential of this line and how much it frees the LBs to make plays.

3.) Trey Hendrickson- Overall grade of 75.4

Bottom 3 on Defense:

Amani Bledsoe 43.7- Seemed to be pretty active, but just couldn't finish plays
Tyler Shelvin 31.3- Not so sure about this grade, as I saw him take on double teams and hold his ground.

Worth Noting:

Freedom Akinmolundun- Graded out at an overall 75.1, putting him just outside the top 3. Outperformed Tupou (only 6 snaps, though) 63.3 and Wren 60.2. Might be tough for him to get a position on this team, but pretty much ensures that they won't have to trot out the likes of Bledsoe or Mackenzie.

Thanks for posting this SHR. Encouraging play from Jordan and I liked what I saw from Carman as well. Not super worried about Chase, but it’s disappointing that he hasn’t really shown anything yet.

The grades are always fun talking points.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and decided to sign up for PFF ELITE this season.  I consider it buying myself a congratulatory gift for getting a new job.  I will do my best to provide a weekly highlight (and lowlight) as the Honorable Truck 101 used to do for us.

Offense, TOP 3

Brandon Allen.  Ok, that was just for laughs.  Dude sucked arse like never before.  I watched guys like Benkert at Green Bay, Jacoby Brisset at Miami, and Teddy Bridgewater at Denver and I think the Bengals missed the boat on a veteran QB to back up Burrow.

1.) Jacques Patrick-  77.6 in receiving, 73.4 in pass blocking, 82.6 in rushing, and 60.0 in run blocking.  Overall grade:  88.6

Very nice day at the office for Patrick.  Would be interesting to see if he gets the start over Perine with a series or two with the starting offensive line against Miami.  Granted, no one seems to know if this third preseason game will be the old 4th preseason game with virtually no starters, but he has earned a good look.  

2.) Playing exclusively at LG (which I find interesting, since RG seems to be the open spot),  Mike Jordan scored a 83.9 in pass blocking (17 snaps) and a 76.3 in run blocking (11 snaps).  Overall 81.3

I understand the optics of just having him out there since he was the one that got Burrow injured last year, but the guy has improved.  We have to give him credit for that.  I know the reports out of camp have not been glowing, but against that defensive line, he graded out very well.  

3.) Jackson Carman -  All 28 snaps coming at RG, he graded a 52.0 in 17 pass-blocking snaps and a 78.2 in 11 run blocking snaps for an overall ranking of 75.0

I know we will all cringe at that pass-blocking grade, but against the #1 ranked front four (that did start) for Washington, I consider it a pretty successful progression for Carman.  The run-blocking grade is especially encouraging.  

Bottom 3 on Offense:  

Lamont Gaillard-
29.3.  Didn't even know who this was, but he sucked at Guard.
Kyle Shurmer- 28.7.  I think he just fumbled again.
Ja'Marr Chase- 27.0.  I don't know how it isn't zero?

Worth Noting:  

Quinten Spain was a 4th-from-the-bottom 33. overall, with a solid 79.1 in pass protection and 31.4 in run blocking.  I am unsure how much they graded him down for his penalty, but there it is.  

Defense, top 3

1.) Logan Wilson.  Overall grade of 92.7.  

3.) Trey Hendrickson-  Overall grade of 75.4

Bottom 3 on Defense:

Amani Bledsoe 43.7-  Seemed to be pretty active, but just couldn't finish plays

Worth Noting:

Freedom Akinmolundun-  Graded out at an overall 75.1, putting him just outside the top 3. Outperformed Tupou (only 6 snaps, though) 63.3 and Wren 60.2.  Might be tough for him to get a position on this team, but pretty much ensures that they won't have to trot out the likes of Bledsoe or Mackenzie.

To your point on Logan with TE that is the flaw with PFF, unless they have info from team they dont always know the coverage calls or blocking calls but in general it does ok but at times perplexing 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: To your point on Logan with TE that is the flaw with PFF, unless they have info from team they dont always know the coverage calls or blocking calls but in general it does ok but at times perplexing 

Yeah, I think their argument is that once a play starts you can generally tell what a player is trying to do. I can actually agree with that argument, but I still think player grades are nothing more than fun talking points.
Reply/Quote
I totally agree with the poor grade on Shelvin. I commented during the game that I never saw a guy that big get pushed around against his will that much. Guys that will be selling insurance in 2 weeks were putting him where they wanted him. I don't know if it will be a "surprise cut" but I can see this dude not making the 53
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I totally agree with the poor grade on Shelvin. I commented during the game that I never saw a guy that big get pushed around against his will that much. Guys that will be selling insurance in 2 weeks were putting him where they wanted him. I don't know if it will be a "surprise cut" but I can see this dude not making the 53

Wow...Surprised to hear you say that.  I haven't re-watched focusing on him yet, but I plan to (no life  Hilarious).  I did see one play where he held his ground in a double team, forced the RB outside, and he got stuffed.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Freedom Akinmolundun-  Graded out at an overall 75.1, putting him just outside the top 3. Outperformed Tupou (only 6 snaps, though) 63.3 and Wren 60.2.  Might be tough for him to get a position on this team, but pretty much ensures that they won't have to trot out the likes of Bledsoe or Mackenzie.

accurate comment...Freedom was cut this morning

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:14 PM)pally Wrote: accurate comment...Freedom was cut this morning

Wish him well.  Seems like a good dude, but doesn't provide the juice outside of a Sample, nor the run stuffing of a Tupou.  Kind of middling on both accounts.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 12:14 PM)pally Wrote: accurate comment...Freedom was cut this morning

Should’ve cut Wren
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: To your point on Logan with TE that is the flaw with PFF, unless they have info from team they dont always know the coverage calls or blocking calls but in general it does ok but at times perplexing 

You say "flaw" but he had an excellent grade which would indicate that they didn't assume he was responsible for the coverage. 

So, what's up with that?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Interesting to look at and thanks for posting. I'm not sure how much the PFF grades really mean during the preseason when there is a lot of vanilla offense and defense being run. No one wants to put much on tape for their Week 1 opponents so it's a lot of basic stuff being run.
Reply/Quote
IDK...

I like Freedom over Wren and Shelvin manhandled a couple dudes and did a Geno impression but bigger.

These are the reasons I put no stock in Pfffffffff

Carman had a damn good game once again.

Bailey played well and saw a couple good plays from ADG.

Jalen Davis also had a good game from what I saw. Phillips got beat a few times but made up for it as he should.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 09:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: IDK...

I like Freedom over Wren and Shelvin manhandled a couple dudes and did a Geno impression but bigger.

These are the reasons I put no stock in Pfffffffff

Carman had a damn good game once again.

Bailey played well and saw a couple good plays from ADG.

Jalen Davis also had a good game from what I saw. Phillips got beat a few times but made up for it as he should.

Freedom already got claimed by the Titans.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 09:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Freedom already got claimed by the Titans.

Damn. Smart team. Hope he does well there. I do like the Titans.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2021, 11:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: To your point on Logan with TE that is the flaw with PFF, unless they have info from team they dont always know the coverage calls or blocking calls but in general it does ok but at times perplexing 

They obviously got it wrong this time because Pratt said that was his assignment and he missed it.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2021, 09:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Freedom already got claimed by the Titans.

[Image: freedom-mel-gibson-LI.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Wasn't impressed by Bachie and apparently neither were these guys. You're a LB, you should know how to wrap up! I think I counted 3 missed tackles on 1 series.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Wasn't impressed by Bachie and apparently neither were these guys. You're a LB, you should know how to wrap up! I think I counted 3 missed tackles on 1 series.

He looked great against TB, but yeah, against WFT not so much.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He looked great against TB, but yeah, against WFT not so much.
Agreed. 
Yeah, he's a depth piece that you hope doesn't need to be called upon for significant snaps, but I do kinda like him, and did last year pre-draft as a late round flyer.  He plays with good effort and is pretty sound technically, but has limitations athletically.  If only he could get on the juice again and get away with it  Wink
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2021, 12:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He looked great against TB, but yeah, against WFT not so much.

He did!  He was really impressive against Tampa.  
Reply/Quote