Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades for Seattle Game
(09-11-2019, 10:38 AM)grampahol Wrote: Since PFF isn't calling any plays, makes zero decisions on who plays and who doesn't and assigns scores according to their own criteria and NOT that of any team I'd say it's speculative at best...basically just punditry and little more.

I think for QB's, RB's, and DT's is where I question the PFF ratings.

They seem to rate Dalton, Mixon, and Gio lower than I'd expect...and not just talking this year.

DT's generally seem to get rated higher than I would expect in some cases.

re: Dalton - If he sets a career yardage high, throws no int's, has what 2 or 3 passing TD's and ranks as the 11th best QB...there is either bias or something else wrong. He had a rating in the 80's last year. He wasn't worse than his gave average last year in this game. This wasn't an average game for him either. He should have had one of his highest scores.

That's my stance on Dalton, and I don't want to harp on it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 03:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think for QB's, RB's, and DT's is where I question the PFF ratings.

They seem to rate Dalton, Mixon, and Gio lower than I'd expect...and not just talking this year.

DT's generally seem to get rated higher than I would expect in some cases.

re: Dalton - If he sets a career yardage high, throws no int's, has what 2 or 3 passing TD's and ranks as the 11th best QB...there is either bias or something else wrong. He had a rating in the 80's last year. He wasn't worse than his gave average last year in this game. This wasn't an average game for him either. He should have had one of his highest scores.

That's my stance on Dalton, and I don't want to harp on it.

It pretty much has to be the fumbles that hurt his score, and only one of those was actually a fumble. Also heard that he was responsible for a handful of QB pressures himself (ie, stepping into the wrong area).

But yeah, you've made a good point. That's the best game he played in years, and the score definitely doesn't show it.
Reply/Quote
This is all great discussion, but at the end of the day I don't care if they score all 30s and the Bengals win. The dub is all that matters.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
im just shocked that Billy price is not starting... We cant afford another oline bust
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 08:27 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: im just shocked that Billy price is not starting...  We cant afford another oline bust

If Ross shakes his detractors, Price will truly become the new whipping boy.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 01:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here they are for the offense. I have to say, MUCH lower than you would expect from the optimism on the board. Really Hopkins is the only player who they considered as having a good game.

They thought that Miller, Jordan, Mixon, Bernard, and Willis had bad games apparently.

Dalton - 69.5
Ross - 68.8
Boyd - 63.5
Willis - 57.7
Erickson - 68.9
Mixon - 53.5
Bernard - 52.5
Eifert - 66.8
Uzomah - 68.3
Hopkins - 77
Michael Jordan - 56.2 (0 sacks allowed)
John Miller - 52.9 (0 sacks allowed)
Andre Smith - 59.5 (1 sack allowed. 1 penalty)
Bobby Hart - 64.0 (1 sack allowed)

On Defense - The Line and LB's were generally good. The secondary was bad with Bates and WJ3 being HORRIBLE.
Webb - 51.5
WJ3 - 42.6 - Wow - Terrible
Kirkpatrick - 68.8
Williams - 71.0
Bates - 29.5 Ouch - Horible
Fej - 68.7
Brown 78.9
Vigil - 63.8
Wren - 46.4
Billings - 87.8
Atkins - 86.5
Wynn - 45.9
Dunlap - 79.7
Lawson - 71.8
Hubbard - 88.1
Glasgow - 76.0

Those DL scores are very, very good. To have all of our starters at 79.7 or above is great.

No score for Sample. He had no targets, but he did have a penalty.

(09-10-2019, 01:49 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Bobby Hart is the second best Offensive Lineman we have, confirmed.

Confirms that our OL is a problem.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 08:48 PM)NKURyan Wrote: If Ross shakes his detractors, Price will truly become the new whipping boy.

There’s too many OSU fans on this board to ever truly be the #1. Dre could lock that dubious honor up with more games like last week. Immature, untimely penalties, from a veteran player who most feel is overpaid, compared to a kid that couldn’t beat out a guy that was the #1 rated center in the league week 1...

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:03 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Those DL scores are very, very good. To have all of our starters at 79.7 or above is great.

No score for Sample. He had no targets, but he did have a penalty.

Confirms that our OL is a problem.

No it doesn’t. It just means Hart played a decent game.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it doesn’t. It just means Hart played a decent game.

Hopkins - 77

Those are not a decent OL grades, save Hopkins. Combined the bottom 4 make for a low grade.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hopkins - 77

Those are not a decent OL grades, save Hopkins. Combined the bottom 4 make for a low grade.

Those grades are rough. I personally thought they did an (mostly) admirable job considering the workload.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Those grades are rough. I personally thought they did an (mostly) admirable job considering the workload.

I believe they looked decent in pass protection. 51 pass attempts does create more sack and pressure opportunities so that has to be considered. Then there is the getting a push in the running game. That wasn't there, at all.

I'm starting to wonder if the coaches figured out what was the best pass blocking line combination and went with that as the starting guys.

It was only one game though and we'll have to see how it unfolds.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Those grades are rough. I personally thought they did an (mostly) admirable job considering the workload.

If we got an average OL score of 61.9 (all 5 OL), then if PFF is accurate Seattle should be in the 40's. They could not run or pass block.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Some interesting stats from game 1 :

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 01:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Some interesting stats from game 1 :

I also read somewhere, PFF I think ? Where Ross had something like 12 snaps in the slot last season ? It was a very low #. And in last Sundays game he had like 6 targets from the slot with 4 receptions and a TD, forget the yards.
Reply/Quote
Do they have separate pass and run blocking scores? If so let's see them.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 02:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Do they have separate pass and run blocking scores? If so let's see them.

Yeah Ochocino posted it somewhere. .BTW Jordan did really well in pass protection.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Very overrated system the relies on people watching plays and assuming...
Reply/Quote

Watching the game, it felt better...but 0 push on running plays and gave up pressure 36% of snaps. That's definately not good.

Interestingly, Dalton scored low too. One would think to get 400+ passing yards under pressure was good.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 02:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: This is why the new scoring system is terrible.

I hate to bring it up in every PFF thread, but I just like to remind people that it used to be better and MUCH more objective/transparent...

One way you can tell their scoring system is..... let's say questionable lol is that they use decimals and not just .5s. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 07:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Very overrated system the relies on people watching plays and assuming...

How do you fix that? It's not like the teams going to give their playbook over.

Like I said before, people agree with 85-90% of the grades overall...but 1 or 2 players on offense and defense are ranked lower than they expect so they bash the whole thing.

Or line gave up pressure on 35% of passes and could not run the ball. That's not a great day.
Reply/Quote