Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades for Texans
(11-15-2023, 01:46 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I really don't understand what happened with the team trying to get Callahan here. He was the #1 target by Zac when Zac was putting together his staff. Washington refuses to let him go. Then we get to 2020 where Jim Turner did absolutely nothing to keep his job yet we let Callahan just stroll up to Cleveland. At some point, Callahan's contract is going to end and there's zero reason for us to not go after him.

He's also stated that he really wants to coach with his son. 

Bill Callahan just signed a contract extension over the off-season about the same time the Browns brought in Jim Schwartz.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 09:23 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: And I think the most frustrating part is that the Texans are not normally a good pass rushing team but against our line they played much better. Think it was a distressing step backwards for this group.

There aren’t normally a good rushing team either and yet Singletary went off for 150. Such a weird ***** game.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 07:03 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Hell, make him co-coordintaor with his son if you have to.

That only works if you can convince Zac and Burrow to roll with a run-first, ball control style of offense featuring much more targeting of RBs and TEs in the passing game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 09:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That only works if you can convince Zac and Burrow to roll with a run-first, ball control style of offense featuring much more targeting of RBs and TEs in the passing game.

That is the problem! Zac and Burrow acts as if the NFL is arena league football and a running game doesn’t matter. This has been the Achilles heal of the offense this year and we all knew it was going an issue going into the season. We are arm chair QB’s and it has been blindly obvious to us. The front office did NOTHING to address it! We come so far but this organization is still not ready to build a perennial winning team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 09:57 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: That is the problem!  Zac and Burrow acts as if the NFL is arena league football and a running game doesn’t matter. This has been the Achilles heal of the offense this year and we all knew it was going an issue going into the season.  We are arm chair QB’s and it has been blindly obvious to us.  The front office did NOTHING to address it!  We come so far but this organization is still not ready to build a perennial winning team.

At some point the light will come on, let's just hope that it happens in time to salvage the season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 09:57 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: That is the problem!  Zac and Burrow acts as if the NFL is arena league football and a running game doesn’t matter. This has been the Achilles heal of the offense this year and we all knew it was going an issue going into the season.  We are arm chair QB’s and it has been blindly obvious to us.  The front office did NOTHING to address it!  We come so far but this organization is still not ready to build a perennial winning team.

I watched the end of the Buffalo game last night and it was painful watching Samaje Perine get two very key first downs on the Broncos last, and game-winning, drive. Both were short passes, not runs, but he just lowered his body and bulldozed for the extra yards. One was a third-down play. Bengals could have used his 3rd down plays and blocking. Just keeping him and Bell would have been huge.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:33 AM)Nepa Wrote: I watched the end of the Buffalo game last night and it was painful watching Samaje Perine get two very key first downs on the Broncos last, and game-winning, drive. Both were short passes, not runs, but he just lowered his body and bulldozed for the extra yards. One was a third-down play. Bengals could have used his 3rd down plays and blocking. Just keeping him and Bell would have been huge.

Yes, I watched that too and Denver isn't using him much at all. Seems like a waste. They run Williams 80% of the game. He still seems to be just a 3rd down back. Denver's OL didn't look much better than ours as Wilson was scrambling most of the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:33 AM)Nepa Wrote: I watched the end of the Buffalo game last night and it was painful watching Samaje Perine get two very key first downs on the Broncos last, and game-winning, drive. Both were short passes, not runs, but he just lowered his body and bulldozed for the extra yards. One was a third-down play. Bengals could have used his 3rd down plays and blocking. Just keeping him and Bell would have been huge.

Bell and Perine were critical losses that were just not going to cost us a lot of money.  I will never understand this.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At some point the light will come on, let's just hope that it happens in time to salvage the season.

Problem is, our backup RB's are terrible, so Mixon's workload has to be managed by leaning more into the short passing game.

Our OL is not constructed with enough athleticism to be good enough at run blocking to just plug scrubs in and still be able to run. The team has needed to invest a Day 1 or 2 pick into the position for years, but instead occasionally throw a 5th or 6th rounder there and wonder why they don't have any backups good enough to take significant snaps in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 01:15 PM)3wt Wrote: Bell and Perine were critical losses that were just not going to cost us a lot of money.  I will never understand this.

Bell, I understood. He got more guaranteed money from the Panthers. Perine? From what I recall, we matched that deal and he decided he'd be a number one back in Denver. Seems like he's getting less playing time there than he was here. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 01:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Problem is, our backup RB's are terrible, so Mixon's workload has to be managed by leaning more into the short passing game.

Our OL is not constructed with enough athleticism to be good enough at run blocking to just plug scrubs in and still be able to run. The team has needed to invest a Day 1 or 2 pick into the position for years, but instead occasionally throw a 5th or 6th rounder there and wonder why they don't have any backups good enough to take significant snaps in the offense.

That is not really the case.  The problem as I see it is that they are not all-purpose backs, and thus being misused when asked to perform as one.  We have seen flashes of Evans' capabilities as an offensive weapon, but he's by no means an NFL pass protecting back.  Henderson is a bit of a head scratcher, as he's a hard, stong runner and decent returner, has the build to be a decent blocker.  For years I thought that the issue with him was the injuries, but when I seen Burrow snapping at him for not knowing his assignment, it all became clear to me what his issue really was.  Either he needs much more involvement so that the offense stays fresh in his mind, or he needs to be down the road. Chase Brown has that potential to be an all-purpose back in the NFL, but he's out injured for the year.

I guess what I am saying is that there are physically talented backs on the bench, the staff is just doing a bad job of working them into the games in ways to take advantage of their individual skill sets. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People online have been posting clips of OBJ not being able to anchor at all vs Houston. Which has never been a problem for him (he struggles more with speed). Guys that know more about OL play than me seem to think he re-aggravated his groin.

This isn't good going into this Thursday night game against a much more physical pass rush in the Ravens.

Man, this is going to be a tough game to win. We need Burrow to play his best and some players on Defense to step up and get 
Turnovers for us to pull it off. Trey might play, which is crazy, didn't ever expect this but he is one tough sumbitch. Sam most likely
not playing along with Tee and now Iosivas being banged up have made me re-think us winning this one.

But I do know Burrow plays his best when we need it the most and our Defense under Lou has been poor at least it was against 
the Texans and usually we bounce back on D after a bad performance under Lou.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is not really the case.  The problem as I see it is that they are not all-purpose backs, and thus being misused when asked to perform as one.  We have seen flashes of Evans' capabilities as an offensive weapon, but he's by no means an NFL pass protecting back.  Henderson is a bit of a head scratcher, as he's a hard, stong runner and decent returner, has the build to be a decent blocker.  For years I thought that the issue with him was the injuries, but when I seen Burrow snapping at him for not knowing his assignment, it all became clear to me what his issue really was.  Either he needs much more involvement so that the offense stays fresh in his mind, or he needs to be down the road. Chase Brown has that potential to be an all-purpose back in the NFL, but he's out injured for the year.

I guess what I am saying is that there are physically talented backs on the bench, the staff is just doing a bad job of working them into the games in ways to take advantage of their individual skill sets. 

Plus Trayveon Williams led the nation in rushing at one time and both him and Evans average more YPC than Mixon over their respective 
careers. I don't know how anyone can say our backup RB's are trash when they hardly ever see the field. When our OL plays well like they
did against the 49ers and the Bills, our backup RB's could very well be an upgrade at times in terms of long speed.

We just don't know. Chase Brown being out for the year sucks as well who also led the nation in rushing last year at one time. RB's that do
this are not just trash suddenly because they are on the Bengals. They have had hardly any snaps. Would be interested in seeing the RB 
snaps flipped with Trayveon and Evans getting the majority of snaps and Mixon being the fresh guy at times.

Burrow needs to play under Center much more like he did against the 49ers, that would help the running game.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is not really the case.  The problem as I see it is that they are not all-purpose backs, and thus being misused when asked to perform as one.  We have seen flashes of Evans' capabilities as an offensive weapon, but he's by no means an NFL pass protecting back.  Henderson is a bit of a head scratcher, as he's a hard, stong runner and decent returner, has the build to be a decent blocker.  For years I thought that the issue with him was the injuries, but when I seen Burrow snapping at him for not knowing his assignment, it all became clear to me what his issue really was.  Either he needs much more involvement so that the offense stays fresh in his mind, or he needs to be down the road. Chase Brown has that potential to be an all-purpose back in the NFL, but he's out injured for the year.

If you want an all purpose RB, you have to get them early.  If you wait til later in the draft, you'll get guys that can only do one thing well.  At that point, you either tip your hand playing to their strengths or struggle with asking them to do things they can't do at an NFL level.

Football IQ is a draftable trait.  RB's have to understand a variety of assignments, from finding holes to pass routes to blitz pickups.  You wait, you may find yourself with a guy who looks the part, but is in his 5th year and still doesn't know the offense.  I saw another instance of this Sunday where Joe was frantically gesturing at Stanley Morgan presnap trying to get him to go into motion.  Chris Evans was academically ineligible for a year.  What are the chances he knows the playbook inside and out?  

Almost every skill position player shows flashes at some point.  How many guys have we misevaluated through the years because they showed flashes?  Of these Day 3 picks who showed flashes, how many became steady contributes and how many were just ST'S guys?  When you have a bad roster, you have to hope and pray some of these guys who had one or two highlights a year step up.  When you've got a playoff caliber roster, you fix the issue and be done with it.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: ***
Chase Brown being out for the year sucks as well who also led the nation in rushing last year at one time.

I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed this. Chase Brown is out for the year? I thought he was just gone for 4 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 04:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you want an all purpose RB, you have to get them early.  If you wait til later in the draft, you'll get guys that can only do one thing well.  At that point, you either tip your hand playing to their strengths or struggle with asking them to do things they can't do at an NFL level.

I think that we all understand those points.  What I am saying is that the players still have value as weapons in the offense, the coaches need to be figuring out ways to incorporate those guys specific skills into a game plan.  

I'll give you an example, with Higgins out the team is down a receiving weapon.  What is Chris Evans good at?  Receiving the ball.  Instead of over using a banged up Jamarr Chase for stuff like Jet Sweeps, short passes and such, why not take advantage of Evans' speed and agility by plugging him into the lineup?  Same goes with Henderson, if Mixon isn't hitting the hole hard, put Henderson out there and run him dead ahead and reward him with a few swing passes when they crowd the box.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 04:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm sorry, I seemed to have missed this. Chase Brown is out for the year? I thought he was just gone for 4 weeks.

Sunset just said so, he could be wrong though. I know he is on the IR.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 04:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that we all understand those points.  What I am saying is that the players still have value as weapons in the offense, the coaches need to be figuring out ways to incorporate those guys specific skills into a game plan.  

I'll give you an example, with Higgins out the team is down a receiving weapon.  What is Chris Evans good at?  Receiving the ball.  Instead of over using a banged up Jamarr Chase for stuff like Jet Sweeps, short passes and such, why not take advantage of Evans' speed and agility by plugging him into the lineup?  Same goes with Henderson, if Mixon isn't hitting the hole hard, put Henderson out there and run him dead ahead and reward him with a few swing passes when they crowd the box.

Do Evans and Trayveon understand all the checks and audibles?  If Joe sees single high man coverage and checks the play to try to hit a home run, do they understand their responsibility and can execute it?

These guys have been on the roster for years and still don't get significant snaps.  There's probably a reason.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 05:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: Do Evans and Trayveon understand all the checks and audibles?  If Joe sees single high man coverage and checks the play to try to hit a home run, do they understand their responsibility and can execute it?

These guys have been on the roster for years and still don't get significant snaps.  There's probably a reason.

Again, you're wanting to ask them to have all of the knowledge of the featured back when I am suggesting just getting them in for a few snaps to utilize their particular talents. TWIW, I can't see Henderson not understanding to stay in and block when a play is switched to deep pass.  Same for Evans, but I wouldn't ask him to stand in and pass block much.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals are serious about upgrading the rushing game they should put in a claim for Michael Carter. The dude killed us in '21
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote