Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Grades from the debacle
I didn't really notice ADG in this game (probably because I was too disgusted to pay close attention). But I have noticed him flashing recently.
I still can't help but feel our offense was different in the Jax and Indy games then what we did against Minn. and Pitt. I know the players need to execute but we have to put them in position to succeed. I know the "under center" claim was a little over done because we were still heavy shotgun against Jax and it was really only the Indy game we were close to 50% under center. But it's funny that we were close to 50% under center against Indy and we were all singing the olines praises. Then in this game I believe we only had 2 under center plays both were runs. I remember the 1st Pitt game seeing breakdowns that said Pitt was selling out on the run specifically when we were under center. Seems odd that we wouldn't try play action from under center.
I know this isn't the thread for this but I can't help but feel we have some kind of conflict in our playcalling by committee situation. It appeared in two games we drastically reduced Brownings decision making with wildly successful results. Only to appear to lean more back into more of the Burrow offense where he needs to diagnose the play and deliver the results. I know it worked out against Minn. but it felt like it took players going above which just won't always happen.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 10:25 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I didn't really notice ADG in this game (probably because I was too disgusted to pay close attention). But I have noticed him flashing recently.
I still can't help but feel our offense was different in the Jax and Indy games then what we did against Minn. and Pitt. I know the players need to execute but we have to put them in position to succeed. I know the "under center" claim was a little over done because we were still heavy shotgun against Jax and it was really only the Indy game we were close to 50% under center. But it's funny that we were close to 50% under center against Indy and we were all singing the olines praises. Then in this game I believe we only had 2 under center plays both were runs. I remember the 1st Pitt game seeing breakdowns that said Pitt was selling out on the run specifically when we were under center. Seems odd that we wouldn't try play action from under center.
I know this isn't the thread for this but I can't help but feel we have some kind of conflict in our playcalling by committee situation. It appeared in two games we drastically reduced Brownings decision making with wildly successful results. Only to appear to lean more back into more of the Burrow offense where he needs to diagnose the play and deliver the results. I know it worked out against Minn. but it felt like it took players going above which just won't always happen.

Unless the run game popped off from under center I don't think the plan was much play action under center passing giving TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Alex Highsmith extra time to rush the passer. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 10:53 AM)Synric Wrote: Unless the run game popped off from under center I don't think the plan was much play action under center passing giving TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, and Alex Highsmith extra time to rush the passer. 

Isn't the point of play action to also put linebackers and safeties in conflict? I also don't think you need to necessarily be "efficient" running the ball for playaction to work. I know from the 1st Pitt game to the Jax game Browning got rid of the ball faster. I would be curious how that trend played out over the next several games.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 07:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No surprise, that is what I saw, pathetic game from Jonah. We all know Twatt is good, but he shouldn't look like the greatest pass rusher of all time.

Not only that, but Irwin's and Boyd's run blocking grades look like what I saw...and Joe Mixon on pass blocking, yikes!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 11:17 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Isn't the point of play action to also put linebackers and safeties in conflict? I also don't think you need to necessarily be "efficient" running the ball for playaction to work. I know from the 1st Pitt game to the Jax game Browning got rid of the ball faster. I would be curious how that trend played out over the next several games.

1. Yes Play action puts defenders in conflict but drop from under center also takes a half a second longer which requires the OL to pass block longer. 

2. The whole run game isn't necessary for play action is mostly for the spread shotgun teams that run a ton of play action motion to hold the linebackers and safeties for a half a second. The drop back from under center play action requires a little more from your run game because you want the DL attacking the OL in gap control and not rushing the passer with their initial move. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 08:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Even if he is?

Twatt is damn good, but I wouldn't say the best ever...

He shouldn't just abuse Jonah like that, it was sad.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 11:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Not only that, but Irwin's and Boyd's run blocking grades look like what I saw...and Joe Mixon on pass blocking, yikes!

Yes, was very disappointed in all these players blocking against the stealers. Usually Irwin is a good blocker, Boyd has shown that he CAN be a 
good blocker in the past, but he has his bad moments for sure. Mixon? No surprise, never been a good pass blocker. Hope whoever we bring in 
at WR in the Offseason to replace Boyd can block, same with Tee's replacement. Would be nice if Chase Brown can develop into a good blocker
in the future as well.
Reply/Quote