Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PFF Grades vs JAX
(10-01-2021, 12:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve been super impressed with Hendrickson so far. It obviously wasn’t just a case of him cleaning up in New Orleans.

If Ossai’s flash in the preseason is a sign of what’s to come with him we could have a nasty pass rush the next few years.

Last season, Hendrickson converted an unusually high amount of his pressures into sacks (40%). This usually signals for a regression, and it has. The good thing for us is that this regression still puts him in the ten sack range. He hasn’t had a substantial drop in pace like Beasley did after his big season.
Reply/Quote
And this probably isn’t even Joe at 100%

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Last season, Hendrickson converted an unusually high amount of his pressures into sacks (40%). This usually signals for a regression, and it has. The good thing for us is that this regression still puts him in the ten sack range. He hasn’t had a substantial drop in pace like Beasley did after his big season.

He really upped his pressure rate though so I wouldnt exactly call that regression. Going into last night he was leading the league in pressures with 19 and I know he had another sack and QB hit vs the Jaguars.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Plus both the Vikings and Steelers (and TBH Jax tonight) got away with holding on him a good deal.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:25 PM)Synric Wrote: He really upped his pressure rate though so I wouldnt exactly call that regression. Going into last night he was leading the league in pressures with 19 and I know he had another sack and QB hit vs the Jaguars.

The sack didn’t count because of the penalty, but he was a force again last night. Has been in every game so far.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:25 PM)Synric Wrote: He really upped his pressure rate though so I wouldnt exactly call that regression. Going into last night he was leading the league in pressures with 19 and I know he had another sack and QB hit vs the Jaguars.

Where are you seeing 19? I’m seeing 8 pressures per ProFootballReference. Regardless, I was mainly speaking about regression from a sack standpoint. I am assuming the 19 comes from PFF. PFR had him at 33 pressures last season. What did PFF have him at?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Where are you seeing 19? I’m seeing 8 pressures per ProFootballReference. Regardless, I was mainly speaking about regression from a sack standpoint. I am assuming the 19 comes from PFF. PFR had him at 33 pressures last season. What did PFF have him at?

Next Gen Stats.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Next Gen Stats.

Interesting. They gave him 72% more pressures than PFR did. I wonder who is closer to the light here. Regardless, yeah, he has upped his pressure rate and dropped his sack rate to a more sustainable ratio. Bottom line, the dude is actually good and not a pretender.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yep he saved the play on the busted play that Joe got to CJ.
Good memory. I may have already had a Natty Light or 2 by then.

It starts at about the 8:35 mark of the below video. That is NOT a RG doing poorly in pass pro:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 02:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Good memory. I may have already had a Natty Light or 2 by then.

It starts at about the 8:35 mark of the below video. That is NOT a RG doing poorly in pass pro:

Looking for work after he and Reiff took his guy out of the play. Reiff was tangled up and couldn't get outside so really he was the only one who had any shot to save that play. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 02:08 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looking for work after he and Reiff took his guy out of the play. Reiff was tangled up and couldn't get outside so really he was the only one who had any shot to save that play. 

That play shows excellent awareness by Carman. He knew Reiff had the first guy bottled so he pulls BEHIND Reiff and gets the edge defender. 
Reply/Quote
Jackson Carman looks amazing athletically... he really fits well at RG in this wide zone. The issue is this is an entirely new system with different techniques hes just learning but you can see the speed explosiveness athleticism and power.

I say let him play even when Xavier Su'a Filo comes back.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:33 PM)Stewy Wrote: They hate Carman.  There is obvious bias.  The best measure of our OL's performance is how much the fans bytch (or not) about them.

It really is, because fans usually "bytch" way less when the line does it's job.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember seeing Carman come off a block too early that allowed Perine to get stuffed on one play, but other than another penalty (he’s going to need to clean those up) I didn’t notice anything.

Surprised Hopkins is so high. He was really struggling early in the game.
If you watch the tape they literally moved exactly together, but the Defender wasn't in the neutral zone.  Therefore... it goes on the offense.  
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I remember seeing Carman come off a block too early that allowed Perine to get stuffed on one play, but other than another penalty (he’s going to need to clean those up) I didn’t notice anything.

Surprised Hopkins is so high. He was really struggling early in the game.

He was, I was calling for a change, but he really put together a nice second half.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 01:39 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Where are you seeing 19? I’m seeing 8 pressures per ProFootballReference. Regardless, I was mainly speaking about regression from a sack standpoint. I am assuming the 19 comes from PFF. PFR had him at 33 pressures last season. What did PFF have him at?

(10-01-2021, 01:47 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Interesting. They gave him 72% more pressures than PFR did. I wonder who is closer to the light here. Regardless, yeah, he has upped his pressure rate and dropped his sack rate to a more sustainable ratio. Bottom line, the dude is actually good and not a pretender.

PFR doesn't show hurries, which are part of pressures; they just do hits and sacks.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:27 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: PFR doesn't show hurries, which are part of pressures; they just do hits and sacks.

PFR has hurries. They track hurries, knockdowns and sacks.
Reply/Quote
My first in-person eye test on Carmen, I really liked what I saw. I actually thought Rieff struggled more than he did, but no one of the OL had a "bad game" from what I saw. Sure there are some things that could be cleaned up, but overall there is an improvement this year and they seem to be getting better each week.

Quinton Spain has been great for us. What a solid pickup he has been. Really liking his game.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 10:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: PFR has hurries. They track hurries, knockdowns and sacks.

Wow, I see it now; they've been up there since 2018?!?!

With how often I go to the site, I'm amazed I've missed it. :$
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 01:09 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wow, I see it now; they've been up there since 2018?!?!

With how often I go to the site, I'm amazed I've missed it. :$

I've been hitting sports reference since before I joined the boards over 10 years ago, and it took me awhile to notice. They've added a lot of stuff over the last few years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote