Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Overrated
(04-27-2021, 09:05 AM)Au165 Wrote: See, I actually think he is underrated. The passing game has evolved over the last couple of years with a lot of option route concepts that have much more relevance to the NFL game, I think that is partially related to Brian Hartline. Even if you watch tape from the offense when Haskins was there to the last two years you see full-field reads and concepts that have two side route combos for attacking different coverages. Beyond Haskins you can't really talk about "all OSU" QB's because they have no real tie to Fields other than a helmet, that would be like saying all Texas Tech QB's stink so Mahomes stinks. In reality, Haskins needed another year in college, and even Urban Meyer kind of alluded to the point pre-draft he wasn't ready, add in the immaturity and you get a bust.

If Field's goes somewhere who uses him like Daboll uses Josh Allen he has the chance to have a really special career I think. 

I get your point(s). I hope you're right and Fields actually is underrated. It would be nice to see an OSU QB break the trend.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:10 AM)Takedown Wrote: I get your point(s). I hope you're right and Fields actually is underrated. It would be nice to see an OSU QB break the trend.

Like so many QB's, it'll come down to fit. If he ends up in a place like Detroit his career is probably over before it starts as I don't think Dan Campbell works out there and he will end up bouncing from HC to HC. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 09:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: Like so many QB's, it'll come down to fit. If he ends up in a place like Detroit his career is probably over before it starts as I don't think Dan Campbell works out there and he will end up bouncing from HC to HC. 

I'd like to see him in NE. He can sit under Cam for a year and take the reigns year 2. Could be a bad scheme fit, but I think McDaniels could come up with a good playbook for him.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
QB Kyle Trask, Florida
Late first to early 2nd. I do not see it.

OT Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
He has a Cam Robinson vibe to me and looks like a G only prospect in my opinion. He could be a good guard but drafting him to be a tackle early would be a mistake in my opinion.

OT Alaric Jackson, Iowa
Iowa is one of the best OL developers at the collegiate level. This guy was a 4 year starter there. I have seen him mocked in the 3rd/4th round but how much better can he get? He has had great coaching and definitely the game rep experience. I think he is what he is at this point.

WR Sage Surratt, Wake Forest
See this guy mocked in the 4th round. He is slow on tape and ran a 4.69 40.

WR Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma St and Amari Rodgers, Clemson (3rd round)
I don't see either of these guys being able to separate from defenders at the next level.

DE Jayson Oweh, Penn State
Dude is fast but he has little in the way of pass rush moves. He has enough traits to take a flyer on later in the draft but I am not as high on this guy as a lot of people are.

IDL Daviyon Nixon, Iowa
This guy turned a 3 sack game against a terrible opponent into a 2nd round grade. Early talk was a 1st rounder. This IDL class is less than spectacular but he looks like a late 3rd/4th round guy to me.

LB Dylan Moses, Alabama
See him being mocked in round 2. He is a 4th/5th round guy to me.

S Paris Ford, Pitt
Guy still is mocked in the middle rounds. He ran a 4.90 40 at his pro day. That is undraftable to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 12:38 AM)northernbengal Wrote: I am gonna really put my neck out hear and shoot for a hot take but....... Kyle Pitts. Alex Rollins has a good video on him. Basically he is not a tight end and is really a wide receiver, I think he comps to a chase claypool type. I think he is a starting quality receiver but not a HOF'er.

I am just going to ride the coattails of your post.  I think Pitts as well.  When asked about his blocking, his coach said something to the effect of:  "Well, I think he CAN be a solid blocker, but he just wasn't asked to do that much, and he will need to improve there, absolutely".  Uh, for the #4 or 5 pick overall?  No thank you.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 01:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chase was not a junior in 2019. He was a 19 year old sophomore. 2020 (had he not opted out) would have been his junior season.

thanks i actually meant sophomore year
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 09:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How so? Not saying your wrong or right, but I honestly think he could turn out to be the best QB in this class. 

Wilson struggles to throw the ball over the middle(particularly deep). He throws a lot of jump balls to the outside and often has trouble progressing through his reads. He has a good but not insane arm. He had a very qb-friendly offense, great receivers, and struggled against better competition. He was a one year wonder with great receivers and an easy schedule.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:07 AM)SErebel11 Wrote: QB Kyle Trask, Florida
Late first to early 2nd. I do not see it.

OT Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
He has a Cam Robinson vibe to me and looks like a G only prospect in my opinion. He could be a good guard but drafting him to be a tackle early would be a mistake in my opinion.

OT Alaric Jackson, Iowa
Iowa is one of the best OL developers at the collegiate level. This guy was a 4 year starter there. I have seen him mocked in the 3rd/4th round but how much better can he get? He has had great coaching and definitely the game rep experience. I think he is what he is at this point.

WR Sage Surratt, Wake Forest
See this guy mocked in the 4th round. He is slow on tape and ran a 4.69 40.

WR Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma St and Amari Rodgers, Clemson (3rd round)
I don't see either of these guys being able to separate from defenders at the next level.

DE Jayson Oweh, Penn State
Dude is fast but he has little in the way of pass rush moves. He has enough traits to take a flyer on later in the draft but I am not as high on this guy as a lot of people are.

IDL Daviyon Nixon, Iowa
This guy turned a 3 sack game against a terrible opponent into a 2nd round grade. Early talk was a 1st rounder. This IDL class is less than spectacular but he looks like a late 3rd/4th round guy to me.

LB Dylan Moses, Alabama
See him being mocked in round 2. He is a 4th/5th round guy to me.

S Paris Ford, Pitt
Guy still is mocked in the middle rounds. He ran a 4.90 40 at his pro day. That is undraftable to me.

I don’t think Moses goes in 2. Maybe late 3 but I think 4th round like you mentioned is where he ends up. I’d be happy with him in 4 depending on the first three picks. He’d be a steal in 5.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 08:45 AM)Au165 Wrote: His true Freshman year he had 23 receptions for 313 yards and 3 TD's as well on what was a bad offense, so it wasn't "nothing" either. This is what happens when someone has talked themselves into a position and will essentially eschew reality to support it.

Well, he was a 1 year wonder, but how many guys are 2 year wonders by their sophomore year?

The same can be said about Burrow, Jefferson and the rest of that LSU team.  That being said, you have to evaluate what you have and make the best choice.  It worked with Burrow and Jefferson, there's no reason that it can't work with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 11:44 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, he was a 1 year wonder, but how many guys are 2 year wonders by their sophomore year?

The same can be said about Burrow, Jefferson and the rest of that LSU team.  That being said, you have to evaluate what you have and make the best choice.  It worked with Burrow and Jefferson, there's no reason that it can't work with Chase.

There is a difference between "one year of seeing him be productive" and what he did is the issue because it was so insane. His freshman year would be considered a "productive" year by most accounts for a Freshman. He had more yards in one year than Mike Thomas had in three years at OSU, which if we care about production then why does it matter really? 

The issue with the knock here is, let's assume he was exactly half as productive as a Junior as he was as a sophomore. That would mean he would have been 5th in total yards, 1st in yards per rec (better than Waddle), and tied for 3rd in TD's in the SEC, on par with guys all projected to go in the 1st. That is assuming he was literally half the player he was as a Sophomore which is a pretty big reach. Now if he did that, would we still not be talking about him as a highly elite prospect? Of course we would, so the idea that there is anything he could have really done this year to not have produced average results is kind of silly. A much less talented Terrance Marshall still produced solid numbers for that team.

The one-year wonder label works when the production is good, but not great, it doesn't apply when the production in that conference is record-setting. As you said, it didn't impact Burrow or Jefferson as both thrived and Chase was the most talented guy on that offense...which is scary. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2021, 10:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am just going to ride the coattails of your post.  I think Pitts as well.  When asked about his blocking, his coach said something to the effect of:  "Well, I think he CAN be a solid blocker, but he just wasn't asked to do that much, and he will need to improve there, absolutely".  Uh, for the #4 or 5 pick overall?  No thank you.  

You hit it right on the head there. Secondly, the Friermuth and Brevin Jordan are talented as well and I think they may be overshadowed due to Pitts. I think that one of those two could be more successful than Pitts.
Reply/Quote