Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF Most Underrated Bengals Player
PFF posted an article this morning who they think is the most underrated player on each team.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-underrated-player-32-nfl-teams-2022#CIN

The Bengals choice is...Logan Wilson!

Quote:Linebacker has been a problem spot for the Bengals for years, but Wilson’s play last year went a long way toward solving it. He had a rough stretch in the middle of the season, but his good play made a visible impact on the defense, and he was notably productive throughout the playoffs on the team’s run to the Super Bowl. Wilson’s best three single-game PFF coverage grades all came in the postseason, and if he can maintain that into next year, the Bengals will have found a long-term answer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I expected it to be DJ Reader when I opened the thread, but can’t argue with Logan Wilson either.

Reply/Quote
Underated by who? Bengals fans love this guy.

Well so far as I can tell most of us here do.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:03 PM)motoarch Wrote: Underated by who?  Bengals fans love this guy.

Well so far as I can tell most of us here do.

I can guarantee you that if non-Bengal fans are asked who the best players are on the Bengals, hardly anyone would name Logan Wilson.
Also, if non-Bengals fans are asked to make their Top 10-15 LBs in the league list, Logan Wilson also likely won't be mentioned.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd venture to say he'll start getting noticed this season.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I expected it to be DJ Reader when I opened the thread, but can’t argue with Logan Wilson either.

I've noticed - at least among the more casual fans - that Reader is very underrated.  He's arguably the most important player on the entire defense.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can guarantee you that if non-Bengal fans are asked who the best players are on the Bengals, hardly anyone would name Logan Wilson.
Also, if non-Bengals fans are asked to make their Top 10-15 LBs in the league list, Logan Wilson also likely won't be mentioned.

That was kinda my point.

We know. 

They don't.  But I bet the guys watching the tap from the other team know.
Reply/Quote
It really doesn't matter what other fans or pundits for that matter think. The only, ONLY thing that matters is how said players perform and whether or not the team succeeds. 
Underrated, overrated.. Doesn't really matter. What matters is the scoreboard and who makes the plays. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:02 PM)grampahol Wrote: It really doesn't matter what other fans or pundits for that matter think. The only, ONLY thing that matters is how said players perform and whether or not the team succeeds. 
Underrated, overrated.. Doesn't really matter. What matters is the scoreboard and who makes the plays. 

So, and correct me if I'm wrong.  You're saying that all that matters is what the final score is and that there is no value in fans sharing their thoughts feelings and analysis.

Well that settles it.  Shut the board down everyone.  There is no need for any conversation.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts but we have established they are no longer needed as any and all relevant information is to be shared via the scoreboard at the end of the game.

I know some of you will be disappointed as watching the game is irrelevant as well.  Entertainment is no longer at the core of why we enjoy the sport as ONLY THE FINAL SCORE IS IMPORTANT.

I wish all of you well and am a bit saddened we will no longer be sharing a discourse here.

Good day.

(Yes this a a bit of trolling. I got bored at work. It was intended in good fun.)
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 01:26 PM)motoarch Wrote: So, and correct me if I'm wrong.  You're saying that all that matters is what the final score is and that there is no value in fans sharing their thoughts feelings and analysis.

Well that settles it.  Shut the board down everyone.  There is no need for any conversation.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts but we have established they are no longer needed as any and all relevant information is to be shared via the scoreboard at the end of the game.

I know some of you will be disappointed as watching the game is irrelevant as well.  Entertainment is no longer at the core of why we enjoy the sport as ONLY THE FINAL SCORE IS IMPORTANT.

I wish all of you well and am a bit saddened we will no longer be sharing a discourse here.

Good day.

(Yes this a a bit of trolling.  I got bored at work.  It was intended in good fun.)

Exactly the same point when people say things like, "Well, the coaches know better than us, so trust their judgement."
If we all did that, there'd be nothing to discuss!
Blind homerism!
WHERE'S DENNY?!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 02:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly the same point when people say things like, "Well, the coaches know better than us, so trust their judgement."
If we all did that, there'd be nothing to discuss!
Blind homerism!
WHERE'S DENNY?!

I think it’s fair to say that once a while (just not automatically for everything). Especially about something like OL play for example - which most on this board probably don’t know that much about on the technical side.

Reply/Quote
Am I the only one that finds it odd that a company that exists off of ratings has an underrated listing? Who are they critiquing, themselves?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Ok - just scrolled through the rest of the list and saw they have Aaron Donald and Mike Evans on there. :lol:

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:43 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: I've noticed - at least among the more casual fans - that Reader is very underrated.  He's arguably the most important player on the entire defense.  

Reader has been great back to his time with Texans. He just doesn't put up a ton of sacks, so people don't notice him. But, he might be our best defensive player.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 10:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Reader has been great back to his time with Texans. He just doesn't put up a ton of sacks, so people don't notice him. But, he might be our best defensive player.

He is. And that’s no slight against Hendrickson. He’s an elite pass rusher. But stopping the run was the identity of our defense last year, and that’s largely because of Reader.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 12:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd venture to say he'll start getting noticed this season.

I think people on the outside who watched the SB, was pretty much saying "who the hell is this #55?" He was everywhere making plays!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 10:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He is. And that’s no slight against Hendrickson. He’s an elite pass rusher. But stopping the run was the identity of our defense last year, and that’s largely because of Reader.

Reader is a stud but I have to vote Hendrickson as the best, most impactful defensive player. At least last season. Cincinnati's rush defense was middling aside from the standard volume stats. The Bengals allowed the fifth least yards because they faced the fifth least carries. Teams didn't run the ball much on them and tried passing to stay in the game due to Cincinnati's offense. From a per carry standpoint, the Bengals were 13th in yards per carry and 15th in EPA per rush. 

Cincinnati wasn't particularly great at anything on defense until the playoffs, where they were an incredibly opportunistic defense. Their turnover ratio was absolutely incredible. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 10:57 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Reader is a stud but I have to vote Hendrickson as the best, most impactful defensive player. At least last season. Cincinnati's rush defense was middling aside from the standard volume stats. The Bengals allowed the fifth least yards because they faced the fifth least carries. Teams didn't run the ball much on them and tried passing to stay in the game due to Cincinnati's offense. From a per carry standpoint, the Bengals were 13th in yards per carry and 15th in EPA per rush. 

Cincinnati wasn't particularly great at anything on defense until the playoffs, where they were an incredibly opportunistic defense. Their turnover ratio was absolutely incredible. 

It’s nice to be able to have this debate.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s nice to be able to have this debate.

I agree. This beats the socks off of the old Andy debates that ran rampant on the boards. Instead of "which player is holding us back" it is "which player is more elite". 

Makes me warm and fuzzy. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2022, 10:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He is. And that’s no slight against Hendrickson. He’s an elite pass rusher. But stopping the run was the identity of our defense last year, and that’s largely because of Reader.

Yes. Hendrickson is a great pass rusher, but he had a lot of missed tackles last year. Surprisingly high. Not trying to bash. He's very good.

But Reader is better.
Reply/Quote