Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF O-line ratings
Just saw a tweet that Westerman was the highest rated Bengal O-lineman in last night's game.

Wonder how the Bengals graded it.

[Image: DkbbNrAV4AAzkA2.jpg:large]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 03:56 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Just saw a tweet that Westerman was the highest rated Bengal O-lineman in last night's game.

Wonder how the Bengals graded it.

We will never know. I hope he gets a fair shake and the RG position isn't handed to hopkins. 
Reply/Quote
We need to also factor in that Westerman didn't go against the starting lineup for the Bears, but I completely agree that he deserves a shot with the #1s next week. Maybe this was the plan all along since he had that illness and dropped 12 pounds. They perhaps wanted to give him another week to get back to his playing weight (or close to it) and get his strength back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We need to also factor in that Westerman didn't go against the starting lineup for the Bears, but I completely agree that he deserves a shot with the #1s next week.  Maybe this was the plan all along since he had that illness and dropped 12 pounds.  They perhaps wanted to give him another week to get back to his playing weight (or close to it) and get his strength back.

Goods points there, Racer.  The competition was not as strong.  But I thought he looked damn good at the end of last season.  True about bouncing back from that illness, also.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We need to also factor in that Westerman didn't go against the starting lineup for the Bears, but I completely agree that he deserves a shot with the #1s next week.  Maybe this was the plan all along since he had that illness and dropped 12 pounds.  They perhaps wanted to give him another week to get back to his playing weight (or close to it) and get his strength back.

This sounds like the plan.

Was Westerman the dude who opened up that hole for Brian Hill?
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This sounds like the plan.

I believe he was. Took his man and swung him to the side.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:47 PM)tBengal Wrote: I believe he was. Took his man and swung him to the side.

(08-11-2018, 01:49 PM)tBengal Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you, that was the biggest hole i have seen our guys make in quite awhile.

Start the man please Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:49 PM)tBengal Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was a well designed and perfectly executed play.  Westerman did a great job on the pull, and pick up of his man.  That is the type of thing we haven't seen around here, in a while.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Don't really care about PFF. However I am an OLine guy.

I believe that you build a winning team from the OLine out. That was why I wanted DeCastro and Glenn in 2012 in back to back 1st round selections. The what ifs still plague me.

So out of the 2 I would have Westerman as my starting OG. He was considered a top prospect at the position when he was drafted and his measurables are on par with Will Hernandez of the Giants. The difference is that Westerman is a technician.

After we failed to select a OG in the draft, I did some research on our currents and Westerman truly stands out. Made me change my mind about not taking a OG and feel more comfortable with who we have on the roster.

I know Fred has his thread about our line, but I don't see it as 3/5ths with one rookie. I see it as 4/5 with one rookie and out of Hart, Fisher (who I am still rooting for) and Ogbuehi, think the RT can be schemed to cover the weakness.

Now the reason I want Fisher is because Hobson for years has used the idiotic "Fisher Price" phrase. For once I would like our guys to have the name Fisher and Price to finally make that phrase relevant.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Now the reason I want Fisher is because Hobson for years has used the idiotic "Fisher Price" phrase. For once I would like our guys to have the name Fisher and Price to finally make that phrase relevant.
Uhmmm.. Matching the offensive line with the brand name of children's toys isn't exactly the greatest justification for starting players over others that has ever been proposed. But we could trade for Christopher Milton and Stewart Bradley , keep both Fisher and Price and corner the toy market.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 07:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: Uhmmm.. Matching the offensive line with the brand name of children's toys isn't exactly the greatest justification for starting players over others that has ever been proposed. But we could trade for Christopher Milton and Stewart Bradley , keep both Fisher and Price and corner the toy market.. 

I am talking about how overused Hobson recites that phrase.  I would obviously like the best player for the spot to start.  However when Hobson uses Fisher/Price at least it would fit on the stupidest of bases.  Which is saying something to the way he uses it now.
Reply/Quote
PFF's observation of our Oline:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-2018-bengals-30-bears-27

The offensive line had issues throughout the game. Virtually every tackle was unable to sufficiently close off the edge, and 2018 first-round pick Billy Price whiffed on a number of run blocks.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 08:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: PFF's observation of our Oline:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-2018-bengals-30-bears-27

The offensive line had issues throughout the game. Virtually every tackle was unable to sufficiently close off the edge, and 2018 first-round pick Billy Price whiffed on a number of run blocks.

Just watched the game and you are right.  The only lineman I didn't see whiff was Boling.  Glen had at least one major whiff on the red zone.  

Westerman had a whiff, but was the best of the guards.  Hopkins is hot garbage.  If he starts again I'll be wondering what the coaches are smoking.

Price looked good on several plays, but had some big whiffs in the running game.

O line is a work in progress.  Sorry to say, but Hart is clearly our best RT.

OG should just be cut.  On one play he barely made contact with his primary target and could not identify a single other defender to block despite being present with several candidates.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 09:50 PM)3wt Wrote: Just watched the game and you are right.  The only lineman I didn't see whiff was Boling.  Glen had at least one major whiff on the red zone.  

Westerman had a whiff, but was the best of the guards.  Hopkins is hot garbage.  If he starts again I'll be wondering what the coaches are smoking.

Price looked good on several plays, but had some big whiffs in the running game.

O line is a work in progress.  Sorry to say, but Hart is clearly our best RT.

OG should just be cut.  On one play he barely made contact with his primary target and could not identify a single other defender to block despite being present with several candidates.

Agree with this.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This sounds like the plan.

Supposedly, Westerman and Redmond had big blocks there.  Redmond was stonewalling his guy for much of the time he played.  The rest of the line would get pushed back and he just flat stayed put, engaged with his guy.  However, he was blown by on one pass protection (guessed wrong?) and, although he stayed with his guy (I liked that) and shoved him past Dalton, it was a big whiff initially.  He also had the bad false start.  

Not ready to give up on Redmond but need to see him stone the opponent's #1s in the preseason.  Maybe he will get his shot, also.  

And as down as I was on Bobby Hart (everything I read showed poor play as a Giant), he seems to be the frontrunner for RT.  Apparently, he played through an ankle injury for a large part of last season.  Some friction came because he didn't want to play the final game of the season as they were long eliminated because of the ankle injury.  I don't know, I would have real problems with any team that sat Eli Manning for Geno Smith.

Pollack faced him twice a year and liked him.  He is also just 23 years old.  
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thank you, that was the biggest hole i have seen our guys make in quite awhile.

Start the man please Pollack.

Clearly deserves a:  "That's what she said"
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 08:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Supposedly, Westerman and Redmond had big blocks there.  Redmond was stonewalling his guy for much of the time he played.  The rest of the line would get pushed back and he just flat stayed put, engaged with his guy.  However, he was blown by on one pass protection (guessed wrong?) and, although he stayed with his guy (I liked that) and shoved him past Dalton, it was a big whiff initially.  He also had the bad false start.  

Not ready to give up on Redmond but need to see him stone the opponent's #1s in the preseason.  Maybe he will get his shot, also.  

And as down as I was on Bobby Hart (everything I read showed poor play as a Giant), he seems to be the frontrunner for RT.  Apparently, he played through an ankle injury for a large part of last season.  Some friction came because he didn't want to play the final game of the season as they were long eliminated because of the ankle injury.  I don't know, I would have real problems with any team that sat Eli Manning for Geno Smith.

Pollack faced him twice a year and liked him.  He is also just 23 years old.  

Losing initially on a play isn't the end of the world, even good OL get beat from time to time. It's going to happen, you just try to learn from each mistake.  The fact that he recovered, and caught up with the play is not only a sign of quality coaching, but a credit to the player's pride and tenacity.  OL that have the determination to follow a play to the end, rarely get beaten by the same player repeatedly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Losing initially on a play isn't the end of the world, even good OL get beat from time to time.  It's going to happen, you just try to learn from each mistake.  The fact that he recovered, and caught up with the play is not only a sign of quality coaching, but a credit to the player's pride and tenacity.  OL that have the determination to follow a play to the end, rarely get beaten by the same player repeatedly.

Completely agree, but I was a little bummed that it was a backup that got him on a simple swim move.  You're right, though, as how many times have we seen Og just look at his guy go kill Dalton or a RB?  I love Redmond's attitude and Westerman and Price seem to be cut from the same cloth.  Not trying to sound douchey, but I don't want a group of pacifists out there.  I want the front five to want to overpower and demoralize their opponent.  
Reply/Quote

This is my hope as well

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote