Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF OL Grades Through Preseason So Far
(08-22-2023, 04:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Carman can run block. Adeniji being decent against backups doesn't surprise me. He HAS played against the best all be it 
he sucked in doing so. I hope Adeniji has worked on his anchor a lot, that has always been his problem, he plays on roller skates
far too much for my liking. Trey Hill at least hasn't been getting a ton of penalties from what I have been seeing which has always
been his biggest problem, he is tough to move.

Has Ford played RT at all? I thought that is where he was supposed to be playing?

I agree with all of this. The RT experiment should be put to bed, keep Carman at LT and yeah put Kirkland on the practice 
squad and develop him. He is big and strong and has potential.

Eh, I have had Carman's back more than anyone but he was down right terrible in the Packers game...

Ford's snap breakdown:
LG - 23 snaps
RG - 26 snaps
RT - 14 snaps
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 06:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ford's snap breakdown:
LG - 23 snaps
RG - 26 snaps
RT - 14 snaps

Thanks Ocho, all I know is Ford has looked bad at Guard when I watched him.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 04:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Volson. Jonah? 

(08-22-2023, 05:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: PFF wouldn't agree on Volson, and Jonah well.... There's a reason Brown is here. 

I'm in agreement with JJ.
Until we see Volson more, I'm not ready to say he's been "developed" just yet.

He went from atrocious the first half of last year to meh by the end of the year.
But he's been getting a lot of praise from veterans like Brown and Mixon, so maybe he's ready to turn the corner this year.
We'll have to see.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
These scores are largely against backups or worse.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
We can blame Pollack all day but Duke needs to answer for poor OL depth year after year for forever now. He’s the consistent factor here.

Reply/Quote
Is it troubling that our prize free agent signing score is so low? or just preseason in a new system? tell me when to panic
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 10:09 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Is it troubling that our prize free agent signing score is so low? or just preseason in a new system? tell me when to panic

Is that OBJ or Ben Brown? I didn’t watch either game so far so I have no idea if Zues has even played or not.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is that OBJ or Ben Brown? I didn’t watch either game so far so I have no idea if Zues has even played or not.

That's Ben Brown. Jonah is the only first team offensive lineman to take snaps so far.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 04:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Has Pollack developed anyone? Sooner we get rid of him and all his practice gadgets, the better.

If this team could at least run the ball then the Offense would be unstoppable, but they can't pass block or run block.

Or develop.

He has done nothing other than take guys out of college and then switch their position and wonder why it isn't working. Volson and Kirkland were good RT's in college so let's put them at guard. It may work out in Volsons case but Kirkland is a 6'7 athletic build. He is not a guard. I just don't get it. Draft a damn guard if you want a guard and draft a right tackle if you want a right tackle. Stop switching sides and positions. It like a right handed hitter being forced to hit left handed.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 10:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: That's Ben Brown. Jonah is the only first team offensive lineman to take snaps so far.

Figured. Thanks.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 09:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: These scores are largely against backups or worse.

True, but at least it can help give you a gauge on how they're doing in regard to competing against each other for spots.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is that OBJ or Ben Brown? I didn’t watch either game so far so I have no idea if Zues has even played or not.

(08-22-2023, 10:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: That's Ben Brown. Jonah is the only first team offensive lineman to take snaps so far.

My bad. I thought it was obvious it was Ben Brown since he was listed with the other IOLs in the list, and Orlando hadn't played yet.
I edited the OP to specify Ben.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 03:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: jcar.jpg]

It's amazing, to me anyways, how he has that big a difference in passpro from left to right side. And that big a difference in run block as well. Crushes run block from RT.

In the Bills playoff game wasn't he playing LT?
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 10:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's amazing, to me anyways, how he has that big a difference in passpro from left to right side. And that big a difference in run block as well. Crushes run block from RT.

In the Bills playoff game wasn't he playing LT?

Yes.
Carman played LT for all postseason snaps last year.

PFF grade in the postseason last year:
Overall - 58.1
Pass Block - 67.1
Run Block - 48.3
Sacks - 1
Total Pressures - 7
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
All of these score are very bad. If we have an OL go down, we are in deep crap. I will say, QB play impacts OL play also. There have been pressures due to WR's not getting open or our bad QB's holding the ball too long.

I feel we can get something for Carmen in a trade. I think that is why he is playing so many snaps, so other teams can get a good look. But as bad as he has been, he is one of the highest ranked backups.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 06:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All of these score are very bad. If we have an OL go down, we are in deep crap. I will say, QB play impacts OL play also. There have been pressures due to WR's not getting open or our bad QB's holding the ball too long.

I feel we can get something for Carmen in a trade. I think that is why he is playing so many snaps, so other teams can get a good look. But as bad as he has been, he is one of the highest ranked backups.

To be fair, about the best we can expect a backup to do is in the 50's.
They're backups for a reason, and we know the Bengals don't really have any studs in waiting.

For Carman, he seems to be a tale of two cities.
When at LT, he's a solid pass blocker, but he can't run block very well.
In his brief time at RT, he's showing to be a good run blocker but not good pass blocking.

If he could put his LT pass blocking and RT run blocking together, he'd be pretty solid.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Preparing for the rage when Adeniji makes the 53.
Reply/Quote
I had high hopes for Cody Ford but the dude has looked like garbage and pff seems to back it up.

I've thought Carman has looked like our best Olineman this year, but I'm seeing folks put Adeniji and even Smith above him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 07:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Preparing for the rage when Adeniji makes the 53.

Knowing someone is garbage against competition is better than someone who may not be garbage against competition. At least according to our coaching staff. 

I understand they "know what they have" in Adeniji but I feel like it has always been bad in the most important moments so I don't understand how that could possibly be a positive statement. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 04:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Has Pollack developed anyone? Sooner we get rid of him and all his practice gadgets, the better.

If this team could at least run the ball then the Offense would be unstoppable, but they can't pass block or run block.

Or develop.

He has been unachieving for a while, not sure how long we can give him as oline coach if we don't see real improvement. 
Reply/Quote