Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF OL grades
(09-18-2020, 03:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Note that all but one (Hopkins, and that is a really odd difference?) have higher run blocking grades than pass blocking.  And they have not run the ball much at all.  

It's more about what you do in those snaps, not whether you had a lot of them
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Note that all but one (Hopkins, and that is a really odd difference?) have higher run blocking grades than pass blocking.  And they have not run the ball much at all.  

Considering they have lost both games (you get more carries when you have a lead) they have actually ran it a decent amount of times. They are tied for 20th in carries/game. That doesn't sound great, but you also have to remember that the Bengals are 23rd in YPC. Success running creates more carries. If you're failing hard to run the ball, you can't keep running it because you're punting it.

Joe Mixon is sporting an ugly 3.3 YPC so far this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm stunned Hopkins is that low in run blocking.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm stunned Hopkins is that low in run blocking.

I'm watching the game now, and Hopkins gets pushed backwards a lot. So does Jordan, Johnson and Hart. Hart has definitely looked better run blocking, but he is terrible pass blocking and goes backwards fast every pass play it seems. Johnson and Hopkins both looked sucky for the most part. I'll probably watch the game a few times just to watch all the OL and DL players.

Price has an ankle injury, so that explains why he didnt play. I was cussing Taylor and Turner last night for not putting him in, but now I know why. Hope he heals fast. Imo he looked better than Johnson.

There still may be a combo that works better for us. Johnson didnt debut well at RG but maybe RT is more his natural position. I just hope we see Jordan and Williams get better every game like they should being that young. Johnson has room to grow too. Hart, I feel like he is who is is already and thats all. Hopkins needs to step up tho. He definitely isnt playing that great from what I see. We got to get this together or Burrow is going to get banged up bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At first, I questioned PFF's rating of Michael Jordan, as it's taken a nosedive compared to Game 1.
And I don't recall him being mentioned much (if) at all last night for mistakes.
But I saw Matt Minich tweet that after re-watching last night's game, he said Jordan missed a lot of blocks.
He also said Bobby Hart looked better than people gave him credit for, which is reflected by PFF too.

I trust these guys are looking at the OL much closer than we are, as we don't always get to notice those things from snap to snap in a live game. Most of the focus last night was on Fred Johnson, so it was easy to not notice the others.

The thing about Hart that I'm not sure their ratings reflect ? We've had three 3 and outs in a row and we finally get a couple 1st downs got a drive going. whistle, false start RT. We're down to crunch time, need a play, Hart whiffs and doesn't even lay a hand on DE.

Sure he may have been ok the rest of the game but he laid 2 or 3 giant eggs right when we needed him. To inconsistent. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 01:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd have to go digging for what the PFF grades were from Sunday's game (I posted them somewhere), but here is what they are after two games.

Bobby Hart - 66.6 (60.1 pass, 75.0 run)
Fred Johnson - 54.2 (45.0 pass, 57.4 run)
Trey Hopkins - 61.8 (71.8 pass, 55.4 run)
Michael Jordan - 55.7 (46.2 pass, 59.2 run)
Jonah Williams - 68.3 (65.1 pass, 66.5 run)

Billy Price (28 snaps) - 51.7 (47.9 pass, 52.7 run)

I'd be happy to either post a new thread after each game or I can update this thread after each game.
Or I can maybe just do next one at bye week and then end of the year instead lol.
Up to you all which you'd prefer.

They should just get rid of the numbers and use adjectives like : Awesome, Great, Good, Mediocre, Bad, Bobby Hart, Fred Johnson
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:41 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: They should just get rid of the numbers and use adjectives like : Awesome, Great, Good, Mediocre, Bad, Bobby Hart, Fred Johnson

If someone grades out Ogbuehi, it’s time to seriously consider a different career!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If someone grades out Ogbuehi, it’s time to seriously consider a different career!

If you grade out Ogbuehi........you get banned from the league
Reply/Quote
Jonah blocking two guys on one play lol

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reply/Quote
I’d be getting Adeniji some 1st team reps next week.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 05:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The thing about Hart that I'm not sure their ratings reflect ? We've had three 3 and outs in a row and we finally get a couple 1st downs got a drive going. whistle, false start RT. We're down to crunch time, need a play, Hart whiffs and doesn't even lay a hand on DE.

Sure he may have been ok the rest of the game but he laid 2 or 3 giant eggs right when we needed him. To inconsistent. 

Ratings do factor in penalties and also "critical" moments in the game.

From their site...
Quote:Each player is given a grade of -2 to +2 in 0.5 increments on a given play with 0 generally being the average or “expected” grade. There are a few exceptions as each position group has different rules, but those are the basics. The zero grade is important as most plays feature many players doing their job at a reasonable, or expected, level, so not every player on every play needs to earn a positive or a negative.  
At one end of the scale you have a catastrophic game-ending interception or pick-six from a quarterback, and at the other a perfect deep bomb into a tight window in a critical game situation.
https://www.pff.com/grades
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 02:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Mixon still sucks in pass pro. thats why we are seeing lots of Gio

Yup, I wouldn't be suprised to see Gio get a start and more playing time than Mixon. He has been playing better..
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:16 PM)Tony Wrote: Yup, I wouldn't be suprised to see Gio get a start and more playing time than Mixon. He has been playing better..

Gio has only had 2 carries through 2 games. Hard to say he’s playing better with that small a sample size.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 06:08 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: I’d be getting Adeniji some 1st team reps next week.

It definitely wouldn't hurt at this point

https://stripehype.com/2020/09/18/bengals-ol-guru-answer/
Reply/Quote
Internet has seen enough of the O-line.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/bengals-offfensive-line-joe-burrow/
Reply/Quote
Well, we all know this is the biggest problem, I think we could out score most if Burrow had more time.

Still think Jonah and Jordan will grow into a good left side and Hop is a good Center. Fred Johnson got abused at RG tho.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 03:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's more about what you do in those snaps, not whether you had a lot of them

My point was not playing to their strengths.  Like they did the last 8 games of the season last year without Williams and Green.  
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 04:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Considering they have lost both games (you get more carries when you have a lead) they have actually ran it a decent amount of times. They are tied for 20th in carries/game. That doesn't sound great, but you also have to remember that the Bengals are 23rd in YPC. Success running creates more carries. If you're failing hard to run the ball, you can't keep running it because you're punting it.

Joe Mixon is sporting an ugly 3.3 YPC so far this year.

There are several other things contributing to those numbers:  QB rushes, and not breaking any long runs.  Mixon COULD get in a groove and break one run (look how Cincy largely contained the rush of Cleveland in the first half but couldn't stop it at all down the stretch) and it also helps create balance on offense while allowing your offensive line to fire off the ball instead of constantly retreating.  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2020, 10:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There are several other things contributing to those numbers:  QB rushes, and not breaking any long runs.  Mixon COULD get in a groove and break one run (look how Cincy largely contained the rush of Cleveland in the first half but couldn't stop it at all down the stretch) and it also helps create balance on offense while allowing your offensive line to fire off the ball instead of constantly retreating.  

If you look at it just from a Mixon standpoint, then...

Mixon is 10th in rush attempts per game. He's getting carries.

- - - - 

They didn't, terribly. Chubb had 11 carries for 49 yards and a TD in the first half. The only reason the Browns didn't run it more is because they had a 43 yard TD pass.

They only had 4 drives in the first half, scored TDs on 3 of the 4 and had a 3-and-out on the other.

The Bengals just ate up all the clock they could in the first half. Even their 5 play/-5 yard drive took 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Their opening FG took nearly 8 minutes. First three drives of the game took 16 minutes, 32 seconds and the Bengals had 2 of those 3.

That's why it seemed like they contained Chubb. They simply didn't give him a chance to play much, and when they did, the Browns got a long TD pass.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote