Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF OL rankings entering week 11
PFF wrote an article on offensive line rankings this season entering week 11.
They ranked the Bengals OL at 23 with a grade of 67.0.

Here are a few key things they point out...
- Whitworth is currently ranked their second-best OT behind Trent Williams
- Ogbuehi has allowed seven sacks and 32 total QB pressures in just nine games
- Bodine has allowed more sacks than all other centers in the league

Article here - https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-11/

I think Whitworth needs to be re-signed this offseason because I don't think the Bengals can afford to have a turnstile at both OT positions next year.
It's also time to try and find a replacement for Bodine in the offseason. He's had a good three seasons now to make progress and hasn't improved enough.
I also think a more traditional RT needs to be found (via draft or FA) and do what was originally planned (IIRC) and groom Ogbuehi at LT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: PFF wrote an article on offensive line rankings this season entering week 11.

Article here - https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-11/

I think Whitworth needs to be re-signed this offseason because I don't think the Bengals can afford to have a turnstile at both OT positions next year.
It's also time to try and find a replacement for Bodine in the offseason. He's had a good three seasons now to make progress and hasn't improved enough.
I also think a more traditional RT needs to be found (via draft or FA) and do what was originally planned (IIRC) and groom Ogbuehi at LT.

Dude, please tell me you're joking.  Ced gets ran over, by and through most of the DE's he's faced this year.  He has no idea what a stunt is or how to counter it, and he is hysterically slow at getting into his pass-pro.  It would be a catastrophe if the guy played a single down at LT. Ever.

Earlier this season I defended him, imploring the staff to continue to give the kid a chance to learn and acclimate to the pro game.  But it is beyond obvious he just doesn't have it.
Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander would disagree.

He is the best offensive line coach eevvvvvvvaaaaarrrrrr!
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 02:51 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Dude, please tell me you're joking.  Ced gets ran over, by and through most of the DE's he's faced this year.  He has no idea what a stunt is or how to counter it, and he is hysterically slow at getting into his pass-pro.  It would be a catastrophe if the guy played a single down at LT.  Ever.

Earlier this season I defended him, imploring the staff to continue to give the kid a chance to learn and acclimate to the pro game.  But it is beyond obvious he just doesn't have it.

Being bad at RT doesn't mean you'll be bad at LT. LT and RT typically require different skill sets. LT is usually the more athletic, RT is more the power road grader.
Ogbuehi was praised for his outstanding athleticism coming out of Texas A&M but criticized for his lack of strength and anchor...both of which are needed to really succeed at RT.
He might be able to handle LT better, especially if the rushers are more speed oriented rather than powerful.

Either way, he really can't be trusted to start next year and needs to be a backup to get another year of grooming and add strength.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: PFF wrote an article on offensive line rankings this season entering week 11.

.....and he hasn't even played all of the snaps in those!!!! Shocked Say What Twitch

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 02:52 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Paul Alexander would disagree.

He is the best offensive line coach eevvvvvvvaaaaarrrrrr!

Well......we must remember, PFF rankings only matter some of the time....... LMAO

Reply/Quote
The sad part is oggieboggie Sucked his senior year at Texas Am when he switched over to LT. Gave up a league high 7 sacks I believe . Who ever is responsible for drafting this guy should be fired asap
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:29 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: The sad part is oggieboggie Sucked his senior year at Texas Am when he switched over to LT.  Gave up a league high 7 sacks I believe .  Who ever is responsible for drafting this guy should be fired asap

Why would you ever want to fire the greatest OL coach of all time? (And a pretty fine piano player, too!)

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why would you ever want to fire the greatest OL coach of all time? (And a pretty fine piano player, too!)

Ninja

Im convinced that he serenades Mike Brown to sleep everynight, and that's the only reason why he is keeping his job.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why would you ever want to fire the greatest OL coach of all time? (And a pretty fine piano player, too!)

Ninja

And will someone please think about the stability!   Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Being bad at RT doesn't mean you'll be bad at LT. LT and RT typically require different skill sets. LT is usually the more athletic, RT is more the power road grader.
Ogbuehi was praised for his outstanding athleticism coming out of Texas A&M but criticized for his lack of strength and anchor...both of which are needed to really succeed at RT.
He might be able to handle LT better, especially if the rushers are more speed oriented rather than powerful.

I agree that LT requires differeent skills than RT, but right now Ogbuehi is not showing any skills at all.

I am not ready to write him off until he has at least one full healthy training camp, but his problem is more than just lack of power.  He looks lost and confused too much.

However you can't criticize the Bengals for drafting him in the first round.  Pretty much everyone everywhere agreed he was a first round talent.  Hopefully he is just suffering from lack of training and experience.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well......we must remember, PFF rankings only matter some of the time....... LMAO

That is correct.

Too bad some people are too dense to figure this out even though it has been explained numerous times.

But you agree that their system for ranking units is not flawed like the way they rank individual, right Wyche?  You are not one of those dunderheads who just like the rankings when they say what you want them to, correct?
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:44 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im convinced that he serenades Mike Brown to sleep everynight, and that's the only reason why he is keeping his job.

Since we are discussing PFF rankings I thin I should point out that this is probably why PA keeps his job.

From last year

http://www.si.com/vault/2016/02/11/lay-it-line

Since 2007, when the stat was first kept, the Bengals rank first in PFF's pass-blocking-efficiency statistic ("a rating that reflects the most efficient pass blockers on a per-pass-blocking snap basis") at 84.1%. The league average is 79.5%. And Cincinnati has been remarkably consistent year to year, ranking outside the top six of that stat just once.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 03:44 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im convinced that he serenades Mike Brown to sleep everynight, and that's the only reason why he is keeping his job.

An unconfirmed anonymous source told me that exact situation may have been the inspiration for this scene...

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

"It's a witch hunt!"
[Image: m8FbUYk.png?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 04:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:      "It's a witch hunt!"
[Image: m8FbUYk.png?1]

At least they photographed Paul's "good side" in that one.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 04:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is correct.

Too bad some people are too dense to figure this out even though it has been explained numerous times.

But you agree that their system for ranking units is not flawed like the way they rank individual, right Wyche?  You are not one of those dunderheads who just like the rankings when they say what you want them to, correct?

Nope, that'd be you cherrytoast :andy:

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 04:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nope, that'd be you cherrytoast :andy:

What does this even mean?

You do agree that PFF had our O-line ranked number one in pass protection over the entire period from '07 through '15, right?
Reply/Quote
LOL, fred is still as salty as ever.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does this even mean?

You do agree that PFF had our O-line ranked number one in pass protection over the entire period from '07 through '15, right?

Those were the years when PFF didn't matter Ninja

Reply/Quote