Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixon's reception
I am sorry that I don't have a video clip of the play...maybe someone with the editing skills can find it and post it, but there was a play towards the end of the game that just drove me crazy.

Joe Mixon, our $12 Million Dollar Man, took a checkdown from Burrow (it actually looked like a designed play) where Burrow looked to the middle, then turned and fired to Mixon to his right. Mixon caught the ball cleanly then proceeded to jog toward the sideline and ran out of bounds after about an 8 yard gain. It was 2nd and very long, as there was a loss on first down (of course).

There was one defender that didn't even really hit Joe, he just kind of eased him out of bounds. One defender. Now, I know Mixon was nursing an injury of some sort so maybe that explains all of it, but he wasn't limping or anything. He just looked completely disinterested and jogged out of bounds.

One of two things should have happened on that pass: Mixon absolutely trucks the defender at full speed and runs him over, or he cuts back inside and tries to make the first down. After running out of bounds, he just moped back to the huddle with a bored look on his face. They were still very much in that game. What was he thinking? Where was the energy? More than ANY other form of ineptitude, I CAN'T STAND when it looks like they just aren't trying or don't care.

Did anyone else see that play and think the same thing?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon runs over EVERY defender that makes first contact. We shouldn’t analyze The ONE time he didn’t.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
A lot of players had the drops, including Mixon on that play. The team is not helping out the Rookie QB that is for sure. That drop by Green along the boundary is classic.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Was it before or after the injury? He played hurt the second half, could’ve been a factor.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:36 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Mixon runs over EVERY defender that makes first contact. We shouldn’t analyze The ONE time he didn’t.

Not true, I see him go out of bounds or look disinterested sometimes just like the OP was talking about. This time maybe it was the injury but there are other times (not a lot) where we looks uninspired. 
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:40 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: A lot of players had the drops, including Mixon on that play.  The team is not helping out the Rookie QB that is for sure.  That drop by Green along the boundary is classic.

Green is trying to catch the ball with his chest he never extends his arms or tries to highpoint a ball. Just lack of effort the way ZT treated Green like he was a king in training camp practice. Letting him sit out cause he thought he was going to be the old AJ from the jump with no reps hurt Green as well as the developing QB throwing to him.
Reply/Quote
What about his lack of a reception? Burrow hit him right in the chest in the End Zone and he dropped it. Wasn't even close to catching it.

I keep hearing about he's such a capable receiving back, yet I hardly ever see evidence to support it. This guy continually puts up lower tier receiving numbers for a RB1, and I keep waiting for him to move beyond his typical 300 yards a season.

We're paying him top tier money to play a role similar to Derrik Henry. The problem is, Derrik Henry doesn't average high 3's, low 4's per carry, and he scores a helluva lot more than 6 TD's a season.

For Joe Mixon to ever be worth near what we've commited to paying him he's going to have to produce more in the pass game.
Reply/Quote
I’m not necessarily trying to pick at the OP here.

I mentioned this yesterday and it’s a phenomenon I cannot explain nor understand.

Mixon is a fantastic back. Easily in the top 10 and probably higher.

And he WANTS to be here.

Probably the most maddening part is that, as a Bengal fan, you have such a wide array of shitty things to complain about. We’re so blessed in that regard.

Why does one of the few things this franchise did correctly draw such ire?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am sorry that I don't have a video clip of the play...maybe someone with the editing skills can find it and post it, but there was a play towards the end of the game that just drove me crazy.

Joe Mixon, our $12 Million Dollar Man, took a checkdown from Burrow (it actually looked like a designed play) where Burrow looked to the middle, then turned and fired to Mixon to his right. Mixon caught the ball cleanly then proceeded to jog toward the sideline and ran out of bounds after about an 8 yard gain. It was 2nd and very long, as there was a loss on first down (of course).

There was one defender that didn't even really hit Joe, he just kind of eased him out of bounds. One defender. Now, I know Mixon was nursing an injury of some sort so maybe that explains all of it, but he wasn't limping or anything. He just looked completely disinterested and jogged out of bounds.

One of two things should have happened on that pass: Mixon absolutely trucks the defender at full speed and runs him over, or he cuts back inside and tries to make the first down. After running out of bounds, he just moped back to the huddle with a bored look on his face. They were still very much in that game. What was he thinking? Where was the energy? More than ANY other form of ineptitude, I CAN'T STAND when it looks like they just aren't trying or don't care.

Did anyone else see that play and think the same thing?
I really doubt if you could be "little Mary sunshine" playing for an obviously incompetent ass clown like ZT.

A few more games you're going to start seeing from more players.

Zac Taylor is sucking the football life out of everybody...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Why does one of the few things this franchise did correctly draw such ire?

Here's a list of the RBs with the most yards in 2020:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYards/dir/desc

He's currently 5th in rushing yards, but if you look at the top 50 RBs by yardage, only 3 other RBs have a lower average yards per carry(3.6). 

He's probably top 16, I don't know about "easily top 10." Even with blocking he's more of a hot and cold kind of runner who relies on popping a really long run from time to time rather than grinding out consistent yards(the latter is preferable according to pff articles that I've read. It also makes sense logically - if you call runs you want safe, steady yardage).

I believe that his contract is probably about 15%-20% over what's fair market value. The macro strategic decision to pay out the nose for the current RB room seems goofy. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m not necessarily trying to pick at the OP here.

I mentioned this yesterday and it’s a phenomenon I cannot explain nor understand.

Mixon is a fantastic back. Easily in the top 10 and probably higher.

And he WANTS to be here.

Probably the most maddening part is that, as a Bengal fan, you have such a wide array of shitty things to complain about. We’re so blessed in that regard.

Why does one of the few things this franchise did correctly draw such ire?

I agree.

While what the OP is saying really did happen, I can think of many more things to be irked by from this franchise.

Our team is one of the shittiest at producing an offensive line for a decent consistent ground game.

Are we really busting our starting RB's balls for show a flash of a lack of enthusiasm?

Dude wants to be here, but is getting tired of the damn clown show...  sound familiar?

C'mon man !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Mixon's drop is the one that really hurt. We were one play from winning that game, and there were a bunch of plays that could've and shouldve been that one play. Mixon's TD drop was one of them.
Reply/Quote