Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Ratings for our players this season
I originally posted this in a mock draft thread, but I thought it was interesting, so I want to give it it's own thread Tongue.

https://imgur.com/a/FOjCC

I put together a list of all the PFF ratings of our players this year by position.
I put it on a gradient from red to green to indicate the relative weaknesses of our team and, while our safeties were in the high 70s, which is considered average on a national scale, they were light green relative to our roster.

According to this list, we are relatively well set (The Starters are Green or Light Green) at Safety, CB, RB, QB (except for, possibly, a new back up) and the Defensive Line.

But when you look at the Offensive Line and Linebacker sections, with the exception of Burfict and Boling, there is just deep red all across the board.

This was originally in response to a draft picking Derwin James.

I am an advocate for BPA most of the time, but when I look at those areas for LB and OT, I just think we need help there. We just need it. So I am thinking that, even if James or a "superior" prospect is there at 12, we may still be better off selecting the top Olineman or LB, assuming they are still valued at #12 overall.

What are your thoughts on this chart?
Reply/Quote
Some real surprises on that list...Kroft a good 20 points behind Uzomah? Is this a season-long average or just one game? Westerman and Redmond played better than any Guards we had all season, opened bigger holes (I do remember one donkey-dick penalty on Redmond) and can't understand their low ranking. And Gio's high ranking?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 09:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Some real surprises on that list...Kroft a good 20 points behind Uzomah?  Is this a season-long average or just one game?  Westerman and Redmond played better than any Guards we had all season, opened bigger holes (I do remember one donkey-dick penalty on Redmond) and can't understand their low ranking.  And Gio's high ranking?

I agree. I don't know exactly why those guards are rated so low. This was based on the full season, which is the only free rating you get per player (you can google any one of them "Clint Boling PFF").

I suspect the Kroft rating is due to poor blocking? Because he seemed like a pretty great receiving option, all things considered.

We'd have to get a full PFF member in here to look into the details.

I just found the disparity between the OL and LB groups vs the other groups to be striking, hence why I put the gradient together.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:07 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I agree. I don't know exactly why those guards are rated so low. This was based on the full season, which is the only free rating you get per player (you can google any one of them "Clint Boling PFF").

I suspect the Kroft rating is due to poor blocking? Because he seemed like a pretty great receiving option, all things considered.

We'd have to get a full PFF member in here to look into the details.

I just found the disparity between the OL and LB groups vs the other groups to be striking, hence why I put the gradient together.

PFF is not the same as it used to be...

I'm telling you guys to not waste your time with them.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Ross's grade seems high to me. He's higher than LaFell. Also higher than other players at other positions, yet he barely played
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 11:25 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Ross's grade seems high to me.  He's higher than LaFell.  Also higher than other players at other positions, yet he barely played

But in the one play he did have, he got a First Down Tongue.

....Granted...he also fumbled...but that's just details.
Reply/Quote
The grades seem pretty reflective of what we saw last season. Our defensive line graded out higher than expected, but I do agree we have an above average group of guys. Glasgow performed well all things considered and Billings was injured. Boling was graded as a tackle and I think Andre Smith was graded to low, but considering all the problems we had last season I can understand it. They have Westermann with a lower rank than Bodine which is impossible. No one is worse than Bodine

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
These ratings and the lack of signing meaningful outside free agents is just frustrating.

I offer up two scenarios:
Sign Zach Brown, draft tremaine edmunds

Sign tahir Whitehead, draft roquon Smith

Either of these turn a weakness into a strength. Either free agent lb shouldn’t be cost prohibitive once you take out minters contract. Too easy, doubt it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 01:07 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: These ratings and the lack of signing meaningful outside free agents is just frustrating.

I offer up two scenarios:
Sign Zach Brown, draft tremaine edmunds

Sign tahir Whitehead, draft roquon Smith

Either of these turn a weakness into a strength.  Either free agent lb shouldn’t be cost prohibitive once you take out minters contract.  Too easy, doubt it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to convert the LB position into a strength. I am a fan of both Smith and Edmunds. In fact, with the way Edmunds' stock is going, he may not even be there at 12!

That, paired with the uncertainty of the tackle class (again) makes LB an attractive option at 12 this year.

I just hope we find a way to improve our Oline in the following rounds. I really really hope we get a new center haha.
Reply/Quote
James should be the pick bc he can play lb or safety. And while we may have strarter level safety's, I'd rather have gs m changing safety's. But I personally don't think he's there.
Reply/Quote
Trumain Edmunds might not be there either
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 11:59 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: But in the one play he did have, he got a First Down Tongue.

....Granted...he also fumbled...but that's just details.

And one of his two targets he failed to generate any separation, which provides some insight as to why he was rated like Lafell  Cool

That should be money put elsewhere, as should Adam Jones, and Michael Johnson.
Reply/Quote
I made it down until the part where I saw Mixon rated 10 points higher than Gio
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote