Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Says We Have The 4th Most Improved Line!
A huge pile of leaves is an improvement.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OT - Williams, Reiff, Smith, Adeniji, Johnson
OG - Spain, Carman, XSF, Jordan
C - Hopkins, Price, Hill

Yes, that's 12, so 2-3 will have to go.

It's going to be tough to decide which depth to keep, aside from Jordan.

Hill is probably needed with Hopkins coming off injury, and they likely want Hill to take over as backup in 2022 with Price set to hit FA.
I'd probably move on from Johnson before I moved on from Adeniji.

Jordan, Johnson, Price. Easy. I’d probably keep price if only cutting 2.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:40 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I guess when your line gets your new franchise quarterback hurt, you can only really go up, but PFF on Twitter ranked us as the 4th most improved offensive line this offseason:

[Image: E0eDDSHWQAIG31x?format=jpg&name=medium]

I hope that our front office doesn't see this and decide "ok, job's done" and stops trying to improve the line because that seems like a Mike Brown move and I pray he's involved as little as is rumored.

Do you think our line could be a strength next season (or at least not a glaring weakness)?

When you have a good to great receiving corp. it's alot easier to block for your QB. Go look at how many sacks Burrow took from CB's and Safety. There were a bunch of blitz sacks. Great receivers require more coverage and lots less cheating and blitzes by opponents. Goint to be easier for a 5-6 man OL to block 4-5 DL than the defense sending 5-7 in every time.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 11:27 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Jordan, Johnson, Price. Easy. I’d probably keep price if only cutting 2.

I'd keep Price until at least Hopkins is for sure 100% back.
Price has familiarity with the offensive scheme and Pollack.
Hill may come along quickly though and be ready to fill in for Hopkins by the start of Week 1, we'll see.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After hearing Frank Pollack mention the wide zone I expected the Bengals to target a certain kinda linemen and they did with D'Ante Smith and Riley Reiff but Trey Hill and Jackson Carman are both more wide body maulers. Add in 330lb Quinton Spain and that's potentially some big guys in the middle of that Offensive Line

I think we will see alot more mid/outside zone runs than wide zone.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 11:27 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Jordan, Johnson, Price. Easy. I’d probably keep price if only cutting 2.

(05-05-2021, 11:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd keep Price until at least Hopkins is for sure 100% back.
Price has familiarity with the offensive scheme and Pollack.
Hill may come along quickly though and be ready to fill in for Hopkins by the start of Week 1, we'll see.

I keep MJ before Price. MJ is still a growing kid. Many around here were mad we didn't take Telvin Jenkins at #38, but we must remember MJ is less than 2 months older than Jenkins. Folks also forget MJ has experience at Center.

What I'd love to see is Big Willie to continue to work with him and turn him into a RT
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I keep MJ before Price. MJ is still a growing kid. Many around here were mad we didn't take Telvin Jenkins at #38, but we must remember MJ is less than 2 months older than Jenkins. Folks also forget MJ has experience at Center.

What I'd love to see is Big Willie to continue to work with him and turn him into a RT

There's a lot of hate on the board for Jordan.

I'd have to back and find the exact tweet, but Willie tweeted that Jordan was completely ruined by Turner and that he knew what Turner was teaching the line.

There's no doubting Jordan's physical gifts, he may actually end up being a very good linemen under Pollack if we Willie is correct in his assessment.
Reply/Quote
To be fair Jordan earned the sentiment he has on this board by playing incredibly poorly - he put on one of the worst displays of Guard play ever seen. And our lack of line depth meant it took longer than we would have liked to bench him.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I keep MJ before Price. MJ is still a growing kid. Many around here were mad we didn't take Telvin Jenkins at #38, but we must remember MJ is less than 2 months older than Jenkins. Folks also forget MJ has experience at Center.

Meh.
Jordan has not impressed me at all from the games I've watched. No, I haven't watched every game, so perhaps I missed some good moments.

If the team wants to keep Jordan over Price, fine, but they better start trying him at C to increase his versatility.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:40 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I guess when your line gets your new franchise quarterback hurt, you can only really go up, but PFF on Twitter ranked us as the 4th most improved offensive line this offseason:

I hope that our front office doesn't see this and decide "ok, job's done" and stops trying to improve the line because that seems like a Mike Brown move and I pray he's involved as little as is rumored.

Do you think our line could be a strength next season (or at least not a glaring weakness)?

I think we could be average at least which would be a major jump from 30th or whatever we were ranked last season.

Reiff, bringing back Spain and drafting Carman, D'Ante Smith and Trey Hill is a pretty sweet Offseason along with adding 
Pollack. Still have work to do as you say, we can still improve in depth so we can cut MJ if he cannot get low. If you can't
get low you will never win in the trenches in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 01:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: To be fair Jordan earned the sentiment he has on this board by playing incredibly poorly - he put on one of the worst displays of Guard play ever seen. And our lack of line depth meant it took longer than we would have liked to bench him.

But that's more the team's fault than MJ's. Dude was thrown into the fire as a kid and IMO is playing out of position. He should be on the edge 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's also somewhat interesting that the Vikings had such an improvement when the they lost Reiff....
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's also somewhat interesting that the Vikings had such an improvement when the they lost Reiff....

Yeah but I'm seeing that Vikings Nation isn't happy about losing him.
Reply/Quote

Ya , I'm sure the front office is gonna judge what needs to be done with the team by some facebook post..
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OT - Williams, Reiff, Smith, Adeniji, Johnson
OG - Spain, Carman, XSF, Jordan
C - Hopkins, Price, Hill

Yes, that's 12, so 2-3 will have to go.

It's going to be tough to decide which depth to keep, aside from Jordan.

Hill is probably needed with Hopkins coming off injury, and they likely want Hill to take over as backup in 2022 with Price set to hit FA.
I'd probably move on from Johnson before I moved on from Adeniji.

They should just cut Jordan and Price now.. Both are complete trash.. Thank God they didn't draft anymore OSU lineman...
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:58 PM)Tony Wrote: They should just cut Jordan and Price now.. Both are complete trash.. Thank God they didn't draft anymore OSU lineman...

Willie Anderson swears that Turner really screwed him up.  He's on a cheap 4th round contract, I'd keep him around.

Can't really cut Price at this point.  We need someone at C if Hopkins isn't 100%,
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:52 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If everything breaks right this will be a middle of the road o-line.  The interior o-line is still full of questions, Jonah is oft-injured, and Reiff is a middling talent at this stage of his career on a 1 year rental.  In short, the line is a work in progress, and nowhere near a top unit.  They’re going to need to draft additional high quality help next year and/or sign legitimate quality in FA.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote