Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF Scores-wildcard
(01-16-2023, 08:03 PM)Garrus Wrote: I wouldn’t worry yet. Leon Hall had a rough rookie year then ended up having a really good career

Leon Hall was one of my favorites for a long time. I know it's way too early to say one way or another on Dax. Just not the fan of the situation of drafting him to be presumably the replacement for Bates and not getting playing time because Bates is too good to take off the field. A little too similar to the Whitworth Cedric O. situation for my liking. Two different players in two different situations but they say OL and secondary are the two position groups that are hard to gel and need to gel in order to play well.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Carter played well too. 

Yes and no.

He's making tackles, yes . . . but he's not beating anybody on the line. He's not slipping by a guy and forcing pressure or making a runner cut back. He's just in on the tackle, which is an upgrade over what he was doing earlier in the year.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:03 PM)Garrus Wrote: I wouldn’t worry yet. Leon Hall had a rough rookie year then ended up having a really good career

So it’s a Michigan thing? Have to take a year to get all of that crap out of their system?

I hope he ends up being as solid as Hall was.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 10:51 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: So it’s a Michigan thing? Have to take a year to get all of that crap out of their system?

I hope he ends up being as solid as Hall was.

Leon Hall was a hell of a lot better than “solid.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Yeah, Dax has had a rough rookie year without many opportunities due to good play in front of him.

Not worried about him....

YET.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 08:11 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Leon Hall was one of my favorites for a long time. I know it's way too early to say one way or another on Dax. Just not the fan of the situation of drafting him to be presumably the replacement for Bates and not getting playing time because Bates is too good to take off the field. A little too similar to the Whitworth Cedric O. situation for my liking. Two different players in two different situations but they say OL and secondary are the two position groups that are hard to gel and need to gel in order to play well.

Eh, I bet Daxton Hill is a nothing like the bust of Cedric Obguehi lol
Reply/Quote
Dax Hill had a 52.8 PFF grade yesterday
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:13 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: Dax Hill had a 52.8 PFF grade yesterday

so apparently he was really good outside of the 3 penalties..
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 07:30 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I know it's his rookie year, but should we be worried? Did cincy draft a lemon?

Nah... The guy's gotten so little playing time, and then he's getting reps in the playoffs out of position. It was a rough night, but I'm not taking too much away from it. I thought the defense as a whole was lackluster.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 11:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, I bet Daxton Hill is a nothing like the bust of Cedric Obguehi lol

Well I hope not but the situations are similar.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:37 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah, I wouldn't say he was particularly 'on it' yesterday, the offence went nowhere most of the 2nd half. But he led the drives which mattered and critically committed no turnovers. Nothing close to one either I don't think. Similarly to how he was in the playoffs last year to a point, not always an offence which moved the ball, but they didn't give it away much either.

I think people mistake us not doing anything because we only had 7 drives all game. For comparison- the Bills had 8 in the FIRST half of their game. We scored 17 points in the 1st five drives, with 3 scores, 1 punt and 1 turnover. That’s really good at 3.4 points per drive. Our last 2 drives got super conservative holding on to the lead (which has been a problem recently).

I don’t think our offense did as poor as many think though. Including our last two drives, a total of 17 points, we averaged 2.4 points per drive, and Buffalo, even though they scored 34, they had 15 drives and averaged 2.2 points per drive.

This was more about lack of opportunities vs lack of performance.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:13 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think people mistake us not doing anything because we only had 7 drives all game. For comparison- the Bills had 8 in the FIRST half of their game. We scored 17 points in the 1st five drives, with 3 scores, 1 punt and 1 turnover. That’s really good at 3.4 points per drive. Our last 2 drives got super conservative holding on to the lead (which has been a problem recently).

I don’t think our offense did as poor as many think though. Including our last two drives, a total of 17 points,  we averaged 2.4 points per drive, and Buffalo, even though they scored 34, they had 15 drives and averaged 2.2 points per drive.

This was more about lack of opportunities vs lack of performance.

Definitely a reasonable point. I agree with applying this to the first half in particular, we had 3 meaningful drives and scored on two of them. We scored 17 points on our first 5 drives, and one of those was to end the half so doesn't really count. 

I think the issue was the second half, and our last 3 possessions. Key time to close out the game and our offence did next to nothing with it. Unfortunately reminded me of the Super Bowl a little, we had chances to close out the game and the offence stopped being effective. But the Super Bowl was definitely worse, as like you say we didn't possess the ball many times in this game.

In any case I'm not too worried about it, we played a top defence and the offence did a good job of not committing turnovers. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 06:13 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Definitely a reasonable point. I agree with applying this to the first half in particular, we had 3 meaningful drives and scored on two of them. We scored 17 points on our first 5 drives, and one of those was to end the half so doesn't really count. 

I think the issue was the second half, and our last 3 possessions. Key time to close out the game and our offence did next to nothing with it. Unfortunately reminded me of the Super Bowl a little, we had chances to close out the game and the offence stopped being effective. But the Super Bowl was definitely worse, as like you say we didn't possess the ball many times in this game.

In any case I'm not too worried about it, we played a top defence and the offence did a good job of not committing turnovers. 

I agree. I do think Baltimore has the best defense (both players and scheme) that we will play until the superbowl (Niners/Eagles). The other team has solid players but Baltimore had really no weakness especially once they got Roquan.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I wonder if Dax Hill got less than a 10...

Dax should have had more playing time during the season. All mistakes are magnified in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:39 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well I hope not but the situations are similar.

I don't know about that, Ogbuehi was never on anybody's radar before we drafted him. Dax Hill was on a lot of people's radar
before we drafted him, I just thought he would of been taken before our pick and we were lucky he fell. I wanted Brisker because
I thought he would be there, but Dax is a better tackler than both Brisker and our guy Bates and is crazy versatile and can play 
multiple positions. Not coming off an injury either like Ogbuehi was.

I still have very high hopes for Dax Hill, never saw anybody really have high hopes for Og. He was just a terrible pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 06:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I wonder if Dax Hill got less than a 10...

He had his worst game of his career I think
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know about that, Ogbuehi was never on anybody's radar before we drafted him. Dax Hill was on a lot of people's radar
before we drafted him, I just thought he would of been taken before our pick and we were lucky he fell. I wanted Brisker because
I thought he would be there, but Dax is a better tackler than both Brisker and our guy Bates and is crazy versatile and can play 
multiple positions. Not coming off an injury either like Ogbuehi was.

I still have very high hopes for Dax Hill, never saw anybody really have high hopes for Og. He was just a terrible pick.

What pick was Ogbuehi? He had to be on some people's radar to be taken as high as he was. The team must have had high hopes for Ogbuehi because they let Whitworth walk when it sounds like we could've easily retained him. Also not sure where your getting Dax is a better tackler than Bates. I assume your getting that from what his 60 snaps this season? 
I hope he isn't a bust and he may very well be good. But the situations are similar and I hope we aren't making the same mistake of getting good solid production from a player in a position and thinking you can draft another guy and get equal play. It just doesn't always work out that way.
Reply/Quote
What Dax Hill needs is reps. He's had virtually no play time since preseason which kinda hampers learning and developing any kind of comfort level.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 07:50 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: What pick was Ogbuehi? He had to be on some people's radar to be taken as high as he was. The team must have had high hopes for Ogbuehi because they let Whitworth walk when it sounds like we could've easily retained him. Also not sure where your getting Dax is a better tackler than Bates. I assume your getting that from what his 60 snaps this season? 
I hope he isn't a bust and he may very well be good. But the situations are similar and I hope we aren't making the same mistake of getting good solid production from a player in a position and thinking you can draft another guy and get equal play. It just doesn't always work out that way.

Think he was in the mid-teens if I remember correctly, still I always am in the Draft forum leading up to the Draft and I don't
remember anyone pushing for Og before we picked him. It was a surprise pick that we all just had to hope the FO knew what
they were doing and they obviously did not.

I trust these coaches and the FO now much more than I did back then.

In college Jessie's tackling was always his weakness and has been overall in the NFL. Played great Sunday night though and 
made some great tackles. Dax Hill was known for sure tackling and that being his strength in college, opposite of Jessie.

I just don't find the situations that similar as I think Dax Hill could be better than Bates at least in the tackling department 
and overall versatility. Never thought Og could be better than Whit.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 08:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Think he was in the mid-teens if I remember correctly, still I always am in the Draft forum leading up to the Draft and I don't
remember anyone pushing for Og before we picked him. It was a surprise pick that we all just had to hope the FO knew what
they were doing and they obviously did not.

I trust these coaches and the FO now much more than I did back then.

In college Jessie's tackling was always his weakness and has been overall in the NFL. Played great Sunday night though and 
made some great tackles. Dax Hill was known for sure tackling and that being his strength in college, opposite of Jessie.

I just don't find the situations that similar as I think Dax Hill could be better than Bates at least in the tackling department 
and overall versatility. Never thought Og could be better than Whit.

It's too early to think he's a bust. But it's also too early to think he will be better than Bates tackling. I've been watching a lot of game breakdowns this season. Something that surprised me because I don't notice it in games is how active Bates is in run defense. He gets down into the mix and makes tackles on the ball carrier in the crowd more often than I thought watching the games. I also think Bates and Bell do a lot more for our secondary and coverages than a lot of us realize. I could get on board with the situations not being similar if we had got to see a little more out of Dax this season. He flashed in the preseason but it just hasn't carried over to the regular season. Although he hasn't had a ton of opportunities. I did also see where Dax was rated as the worst 1st Rd pick this year. Although to early to say that and playing time might be a factor.
Reply/Quote