Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Simulation after recent FA Signings
Hats off to this staff and front office for a very good FA period so far. While many may not like letting Lawson and Jackson III to move on I take no real issue with it. Lawson has flashed but has not stayed healthy and Jackson has been much the same while certainly not being the lock-down CB most envisioned. I believe Hendrickson is a good, young DE that fits the 4-3 base much better than Lawson and I believe his best football is still ahead of him. I really like the signing of Reif and I think it really opens this draft up and now more than ever I would look to trade down.

So here we go...

At #5 Denver proposed a trade offering the 9th and 40th selection which I accepted. At 9 New England offered the 15th and 46th selections. I thought the board was coming to us at this point and liked the way it was falling so I gambled and took the trade and ended up with the player I would have taken at 9th Overall.

Round 1 - 9th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.qzcnDe84Qn62dFMAWj6xQwHaEK&pid...=315&h=178]

Patrick Surtain II - CB - Alabama - 6'2" 202

I like the moves we have made in revamping the defensive backfield over the last two seasons and this makes it even better. To replace Jackson III we get the true lock-down corner we were missing. Will be a heck of a trio in Surtain II, Trae Waynes, and Awuzi. Not to mention having Hilton in the slot. Brings the entire package to the field at the position and the polish he will get at the NFL level should make for a top end CB for many years to come.

Round 2 - 38th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.DMzJ_GMB3T0MuC8A1b3qNgHaD-&pid...=316&h=171]

Jaelan Phillips - DE - Miami(Fla.) - 6'5" 260

At the NFL level you can never have too many cover guys or pass rushers. Phillips has all the tools you are looking for to be an elite pass rusher and DE at the NFL level. Needs to continue to get stronger and to improve his hand usage but he has shown nothing that would lead one to believe that these issues will not continue to improve. Experienced playing with his hand on the ground and has shown the ability to drop and play in space as well. Should get to see plenty of snaps behind Hubbard and Hendrickson and will be a nice addition to the core of this defense.
Round 2 - 40th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.v64rijZAUHl372uel3JiiwHaEK&pid...=311&h=176]

Terrace Marshall - WR - LSU - 6'3" 200

While much has been made about Chase...Marshall is a very good receiver in his own rights. May not be as polished as Chase and not as complete overall but brings a laundry list of exceptional talents to the position. Has the deep speed this offense is lacking and get behind a defense. Brings exceptional size to go with his speed and will make for an outstanding boundary pairing with Higgins and Boyd playing from the slot. Really nice addition to this offense.

Round 2 - 46th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.0OtZ2w86RRvVX7HxOlxJ5QHaF-&pid...=217&h=176]

Daviyon Nixon - DT - Iowa - 6'3" 305

I really like this selection and I feel that Nixon is the most underrated DT in the entire draft. I have seen many stating the the do not feel Nixon is even close to a finished project. Geno being released hurts but he was never the same player after injuries, Signing Ogunjobi helped ease the pain some Nixon should open the season as the day 1 starter at the 3 technique and not look back. Will be an outstanding tandem with DJ Reader and a nice rotation with Ogunjobi early on. Will go far in building the core of the D line for the future.

Round 3 - 69th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.yepr6ROBQcySKwZdHnb0pQHaE7&pid...=257&h=172]

Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin Whitewater - 6'3" 320

This kid showed up at the Senior Bowl and served notice that the stage was not too big for him. He took on premier rushers such as Patrick Jones and handled them very well. His strength is elite and should come into camp competing for the starting C or one of the starting OG positions. Should help to solidify the interior of this O line.

Round 4 - 111th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.CKtRB1-DudHC4j3kowSpigHaE4&pid...=235&h=156]

Trey Sermon - RB - The Ohio State - 6'0" 213

This team struggled to run the ball between the tackles when Mixon was out. Sermon should go along way in filling the void and will be a great back to rotate in behind Mixon as well as a future starter should Mixon leave or get injured. Got healthy at the end of the 2020 season and showed the football world the quality of back he is when he is right. He arguably was as important as anyone in the Buckeyes final drive to the championship game.

Pittsburgh proposed a trade of 149 and 235 for 161 and 174 which I took.

Round 5 - 161st Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.phOopxvKZiWmllobBVfT7wHaD5&pid...=305&h=161]

Tre McKitty - TE - Georgia - 6'4" 248

McKitty is a really good value at this point in the draft and brings real versatility to the position. Is a willing and able blocker and has shown real skill after the catch. McKitty was a victim of inconsistent QB play in 2020 at Georgia and will bring excellent athleticism to the TE position for this team. He should be a guy that they will be able to move around the formation and use in different ways for this offense.

Round 5 - 174th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.JS5EokMoMRNlqMldbR-vNgHaD4&pid...=313&h=165]

Janarius Robinson - DE - Florida State - 6'5" 266

This is a selection for the future. Elite length and good size for the position. Has shown outstanding athleticism and if a staff can get him to play with consistent motor and technique he could develop into an elite pass rusher at the NFL level. Low risk, high reward selection at this point and one that could pay huge dividends in the future. Likely will be a PS addition as a rookie but could as well surprise everyone and put it all together to make the tail end of this roster.

Round 6 - 190th overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.Yti5KcMqdl-V_VKkc2aBnQHaD4&pid...=300&h=158]

Tamorrion Terry - WR - Florida State - 6'3" 200

We go back to the sunshine state and Florida State for yet another very athletically gifted player. There is no denying that Terry has deep speed to stretch a defense and create mismatches. There is also no denying that he really needs to work at improving his catch technique to become a consistent threat for an offense. Coming off of knee surgery so will need to show that he is 100% but at this point in the draft makes for another low risk, high reward prospect that could be huge for this offense.

Round 6 - 202nd Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.Qch4rYSZpIBihsaZI0ZI-gHaE8&pid...=264&h=177]

Alaric Jackson - T/G - Iowa - 6'6" 318

Iowa is known for putting out very strong and technically sound offensive linemen and Jackson keeps with that tradition. I think his draft stock has been hurt by playing out of position for the Hawkeyes. While being their best lineman he was being played at LT which is not his best fit. He does not possess the overall athleticism needed for the position especially at the NFL level. What he does possess is good strength and technique. I see Jackson as competing for a starting guard position and at worst being a swing guy that can play guard or RT in an emergency. Even for a late selection I believe he has the ability to be a day 1 starter on the interior of the line.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:46 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Hats off to this staff and front office for a very good FA period so far. While many may not like letting Lawson and Jackson III to move on I take no real issue with it. Lawson has flashed but has not stayed healthy and Jackson has been much the same while certainly not being the lock-down CB most envisioned. I believe Hendrickson is a good, young DE that fits the 4-3 base much better than Lawson and I believe his best football is still ahead of him. I really like the signing of Reif and I think it really opens this draft up and now more than ever I would look to trade down.

So here we go...

At #5 Denver proposed a trade offering the 9th and 40th selection which I accepted. At 9 New England offered the 15th and 46th selections. I thought the board was coming to us at this point and liked the way it was falling so I gambled and took the trade and ended up with the player I would have taken at 9th Overall.

Round 1 - 9th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.qzcnDe84Qn62dFMAWj6xQwHaEK&pid...=315&h=178]

Patrick Surtain II - CB - Alabama - 6'2" 202

I like the moves we have made in revamping the defensive backfield over the last two seasons and this makes it even better. To replace Jackson III we get the true lock-down corner we were missing. Will be a heck of a trio in Surtain II, Trae Waynes, and Awuzi. Not to mention having Hilton in the slot. Brings the entire package to the field at the position and the polish he will get at the NFL level should make for a top end CB for many years to come.

Round 2 - 38th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.DMzJ_GMB3T0MuC8A1b3qNgHaD-&pid...=316&h=171]

Jaelan Phillips - DE - Miami(Fla.) - 6'5" 260

At the NFL level you can never have too many cover guys or pass rushers. Phillips has all the tools you are looking for to be an elite pass rusher and DE at the NFL level. Needs to continue to get stronger and to improve his hand usage but he has shown nothing that would lead one to believe that these issues will not continue to improve. Experienced playing with his hand on the ground and has shown the ability to drop and play in space as well. Should get to see plenty of snaps behind Hubbard and Hendrickson and will be a nice addition to the core of this defense.
Round 2 - 40th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.v64rijZAUHl372uel3JiiwHaEK&pid...=311&h=176]

Terrace Marshall - WR - LSU - 6'3" 200

While much has been made about Chase...Marshall is a very good receiver in his own rights. May not be as polished as Chase and not as complete overall but brings a laundry list of exceptional talents to the position. Has the deep speed this offense is lacking and get behind a defense. Brings exceptional size to go with his speed and will make for an outstanding boundary pairing with Higgins and Boyd playing from the slot. Really nice addition to this offense.

Round 2 - 46th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.0OtZ2w86RRvVX7HxOlxJ5QHaF-&pid...=217&h=176]

Daviyon Nixon - DT - Iowa - 6'3" 305

I really like this selection and I feel that Nixon is the most underrated DT in the entire draft. I have seen many stating the the do not feel Nixon is even close to a finished project. Geno being released hurts but he was never the same player after injuries, Signing Ogunjobi helped ease the pain some Nixon should open the season as the day 1 starter at the 3 technique and not look back. Will be an outstanding tandem with DJ Reader and a nice rotation with Ogunjobi early on. Will go far in building the core of the D line for the future.

Round 3 - 69th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.yepr6ROBQcySKwZdHnb0pQHaE7&pid...=257&h=172]

Quinn Meinerz - C/G - Wisconsin Whitewater - 6'3" 320

This kid showed up at the Senior Bowl and served notice that the stage was not too big for him. He took on premier rushers such as Patrick Jones and handled them very well. His strength is elite and should come into camp competing for the starting C or one of the starting OG positions. Should help to solidify the interior of this O line.

Round 4 - 111th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.CKtRB1-DudHC4j3kowSpigHaE4&pid...=235&h=156]

Trey Sermon - RB - The Ohio State - 6'0" 213

This team struggled to run the ball between the tackles when Mixon was out. Sermon should go along way in filling the void and will be a great back to rotate in behind Mixon as well as a future starter should Mixon leave or get injured. Got healthy at the end of the 2020 season and showed the football world the quality of back he is when he is right. He arguably was as important as anyone in the Buckeyes final drive to the championship game.

Pittsburgh proposed a trade of 149 and 235 for 161 and 174 which I took.

Round 5 - 161st Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.phOopxvKZiWmllobBVfT7wHaD5&pid...=305&h=161]

Tre McKitty - TE - Georgia - 6'4" 248

McKitty is a really good value at this point in the draft and brings real versatility to the position. Is a willing and able blocker and has shown real skill after the catch. McKitty was a victim of inconsistent QB play in 2020 at Georgia and will bring excellent athleticism to the TE position for this team. He should be a guy that they will be able to move around the formation and use in different ways for this offense.

Round 5 - 174th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.JS5EokMoMRNlqMldbR-vNgHaD4&pid...=313&h=165]

Janarius Robinson - DE - Florida State - 6'5" 266

This is a selection for the future. Elite length and good size for the position. Has shown outstanding athleticism and if a staff can get him to play with consistent motor and technique he could develop into an elite pass rusher at the NFL level. Low risk, high reward selection at this point and one that could pay huge dividends in the future. Likely will be a PS addition as a rookie but could as well surprise everyone and put it all together to make the tail end of this roster.

Round 6 - 190th overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.Yti5KcMqdl-V_VKkc2aBnQHaD4&pid...=300&h=158]

Tamorrion Terry - WR - Florida State - 6'3" 200

We go back to the sunshine state and Florida State for yet another very athletically gifted player. There is no denying that Terry has deep speed to stretch a defense and create mismatches. There is also no denying that he really needs to work at improving his catch technique to become a consistent threat for an offense. Coming off of knee surgery so will need to show that he is 100% but at this point in the draft makes for another low risk, high reward prospect that could be huge for this offense.

Round 6 - 202nd Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.Qch4rYSZpIBihsaZI0ZI-gHaE8&pid...=264&h=177]

Alaric Jackson - T/G - Iowa - 6'6" 318

Iowa is known for putting out very strong and technically sound offensive linemen and Jackson keeps with that tradition. I think his draft stock has been hurt by playing out of position for the Hawkeyes. While being their best lineman he was being played at LT which is not his best fit. He does not possess the overall athleticism needed for the position especially at the NFL level. What he does possess is good strength and technique. I see Jackson as competing for a starting guard position and at worst being a swing guy that can play guard or RT in an emergency. Even for a late selection I believe he has the ability to be a day 1 starter on the interior of the line.

I like this in a trade down if both Sewell & Chase are gone. That would be a good position for Kyle Pitts with whats happend in FA thus far. I can't take him top five right now and its tempting but is he really a generational talent at TE?  I just don't trust our current coach enough to maximize his talents. I absolutely love Quinn Meinerz and he'll be in my final a day before the draft. I believe Frank Pollack is perfect for him. I like him at all interior spots & as an immediate starter.
So lets watch the bowling pins fall... He translates well to the next level & Terry late on a flyer I like. We both sit the same on Tevin Jenkins also because he's nasty but Id play him at OG & he'll be a pro bowl caliber player.
Nice work overall OSU

Quinn Meinerz G/C White Water
LETS WATCH BOWLING PINS FALL
https://youtu.be/so5tF4_ICxU

Reply/Quote