Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: State of the Bengals
(07-26-2019, 10:47 AM)BengalChris Wrote: New England showed exactly how to stop this types of running game. They manned a defender on each offensive lineman which prevented them from sliding the defense one way or the other. We've just seen the beginning of how the Rams offense is going to be defended from now on.

At some point, the OL is going to have to move defenders man on man to create some running room.

The Patriots weren't even the first team in 2018 to do that to the Rams. Stack the box or have an overhang and attack downhill. The Bears did it to them also. The issue with playing that defense is it can allow huge cutbacks in thr run game and of course the QB can beat you in the pass game...but Goff couldn't do it against the Bears or the Patriots.

The Outside Zone has been around since the 80s so yea DCs have found ways to gameplan against it but we all know about best laid plans.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:30 AM)Synric Wrote: The Patriots weren't even the first team in 2018 to do that to the Rams. Stack the box or have an overhang and attack downhill. The Bears did it to them also. The issue with playing that defense is it can allow huge cutbacks in thr run game and of course the QB can beat you in the pass game...but Goff couldn't do it against the Bears or the Patriots.

The Outside Zone has been around since the 80s so yea DCs have found ways to gameplan against it but we all know about best laid plans.

I know that. A close friend of mine is a Bears fan and we watched that game. It was impressive and I'm sure Belicheck watched that game a few times.

My point to all of that was that a zone blocking play action based offense can be stopped if you stop the run and you can stop a zone blocking OL by manning up on them and engage each of the linemen so they can't slide the defense one way or the other.

At some point the OL has to be able to move defenders one-on-one, depending on how the defense plays you and the talent of that defensive line.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote