Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Top 50 Players

They’ve been releasing the list all week. Chase is the first Bengal on it so far. It will be interesting to see how high Burrow is with only the top 10 left.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
20. WR JA’MARR CHASE, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Chase showed that his rookie season was no fluke, backing up that performance with another 1,000-yard season despite being limited to just 12 games in the regular season due to injury. He also led all receivers in the playoffs in targets (28), catches (22) and yards (220) despite the Bengals coming up just short of making the Super Bowl. He has no weaknesses in his game and is pretty dominant in most areas

Reply/Quote
He's going to have a monster year and be everyone's wr1
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 11:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
They’ve been releasing the list all week. Chase is the first Bengal on it so far. It will be interesting to see how high Burrow is with only the top 10 left.

Good stuff.  I am just a little puzzled at #4 WR.  Who do they have ranked above him?  JJ is the only one I think could argue...
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good stuff.  I am just a little puzzled at #4 WR.  Who do they have ranked above him?  JJ is the only one I think could argue...

Hill, Jefferson and...maybe Adams, would be my guess?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good stuff.  I am just a little puzzled at #4 WR.  Who do they have ranked above him?  JJ is the only one I think could argue...

Adams Jefferson Hill, he had strong last year but I can see Adam's and Jefferson above him after just 2 yrs but I put him above Hill  
Reply/Quote
Pro Football Network released their list of the top 100 players

Chase was 47th as the 6th best receiver

47) Ja’Marr Chase, WR, Cincinnati Bengals
Ja’Marr Chase is already one of the best wide receivers in the NFL today, and he’s still not nearly as clean a player as he could be. Chase has a long way to go as a route runner and nobody would confuse his hands for DeAndre Hopkins, but he’s a big-play threat every time he touches the ball.

Chase proved that he can be a high-volume target as well as a downfield savant. He actually saw six more targets in 12 games in 2022 than he did in 2021 in a full 17 games. If he continues to sharpen his technical side, Chase could end up being as unguardable as anybody in recent memory.

also on this list at #100 was DJ Reader and JoeyB is the 2nd QB at #11

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hill, Jefferson and...maybe Adams, would be my guess?

Adams hasn’t been listed yet so they must have him in the top 10. The two WR’s ahead of Chase so far are JJ (11) and Tyreek (16).

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 12:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hill, Jefferson and...maybe Adams, would be my guess?

I can't help but think some of this is because he has Tee Higgins on the other side and Boyd in the slot.  Still gets double-teamed every snap.  Hill was a great deep threat, but Ja'Marr is a more complete receiver and Adams got ridiculous targets in Green Bay.  

I also factor in the defenses these WRs face (their division).  How many WRs would put up Ja'Marr's numbers in the AFC North?  I would love to see what Ja'Marr could do facing defenses like Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota.  People seemed to forget about the time he missed last year.  He will probably shatter the Bengals single-season records this year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 01:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Adams Jefferson Hill, he had strong last year but I can see Adam's and Jefferson above him after just 2 yrs but I put him above Hill  

I see him ahead of them and would probably have been there statistically if not for the injury last year.  Still, you gave three legit answers.  Props.  I just don't see Adams or Hill at his level today.  Adams appears ready to have a Hopkins-like decline.  
Reply/Quote
Burrow comes in right at #10 (should be higher imo).

10. QB JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Burrow has finished each of the past two seasons leading the league or tied for the lead in overall PFF grade. His 91.0 PFF passing grade in 2022 was the best mark in the game, and he has consistently shown the kind of clutch performance that has allowed the Bengals to generate as much success as they have seen since the 1980s. Burrow is one of only a couple of quarterbacks who have the capacity to take it to Patrick Mahomes in any given week and expect to match him.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 08:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I see him ahead of them and would probably have been there statistically if not for the injury last year.  Still, you gave three legit answers.  Props.  I just don't see Adams or Hill at his level today.  Adams appears ready to have a Hopkins-like decline.  

Adams is coming off one of his best seasons and that's with Jason Stithem throwing to him for half the year. I'd put Chase above The Cheetah but not Adams or Jefferson. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 08:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I see him ahead of them and would probably have been there statistically if not for the injury last year.  Still, you gave three legit answers.  Props.  I just don't see Adams or Hill at his level today.  Adams appears ready to have a Hopkins-like decline.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the PFF player rankings going into the year were primarily based on what they did last year.

Davante Adams I think went way under the radar last year because the Raiders did worse in the standings, but he put up 100 receptions, 1516 yards, and 14 TDs. Those are fantastic numbers. It was his best YPR of his entire career. 2nd best yards and 2nd best TDs in a season for him too. 

Even if Chase had been available the whole year, his production pace was still just below what Adams did.

Most WRs don't keep at an elite level too many years after age 30, but this isn't about where they will be in a few years.

I think it's fair for 2023 to have Chase as WR4 in the list. JJ, Adams, and Hill have had the better production the past couple years to justify putting them just ahead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Both Ja'Marr and Joe should use this as motivation. I wouldn't take another WR over Ja'Marr or another QB over Joe.

Jefferson is the guy who might be above Chase in production at this point because he didn't miss 4 games last year. But I
would still take Chase over him. Adams got targeted a ton at Green Bay and both him and Tyreek Hill have had some problems
with being divaish lately. Lets go break some records this year Joe and Ja'Marr...

On the way to a Super Bowl win. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 11:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Adams is coming off one of his best seasons and that's with Jason Stithem throwing to him for half the year. I'd put Chase above The Cheetah but not Adams or Jefferson. 

Yeah he does have some gaudy stats, but he also got shut down when he saw pretty good secondaries a few times.  Hard to say how much of that was the QB, but I know Carr really struggled last year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the PFF player rankings going into the year were primarily based on what they did last year.

Davante Adams I think went way under the radar last year because the Raiders did worse in the standings, but he put up 100 receptions, 1516 yards, and 14 TDs. Those are fantastic numbers. It was his best YPR of his entire career. 2nd best yards and 2nd best TDs in a season for him too. 

Even if Chase had been available the whole year, his production pace was still just below what Adams did.

Most WRs don't keep at an elite level too many years after age 30, but this isn't about where they will be in a few years.

I think it's fair for 2023 to have Chase as WR4 in the list. JJ, Adams, and Hill have had the better production the past couple years to justify putting them just ahead.

That's the biggest reason that I could see a decline.  Feel kind of bad for the guy, honestly, as he went to play with his best friend (Carr) and Carr is gone not even a full season later.  

I didn't realize that Hill had that kind of season, statistically, last year.  Didn't get to see Miami much.  They must have done more screens, etc. with him than just the long ball?  Bengals always played him tough, but I am glad he isn't in KC any longer.  
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 01:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both Ja'Marr and Joe should use this as motivation. I wouldn't take another WR over Ja'Marr or another QB over Joe.

Jefferson is the guy who might be above Chase in production at this point because he didn't miss 4 games last year. But I
would still take Chase over him. Adams got targeted a ton at Green Bay and both him and Tyreek Hill have had some problems
with being divaish lately. Lets go break some records this year Joe and Ja'Marr...

On the way to a Super Bowl win. Rock On

I'm not knocking Jefferson in any way. He's fantastic, and statistically the best WR in the game... But he doesn't have a number 2 like Tee. That's a blessing and a curse. He's not losing targets to that caliber of a player, but also doesn't have a guy like that taking pressure off of him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 11:28 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it's fair for 2023 to have Chase as WR4 in the list. JJ, Adams, and Hill have had the better production the past couple years to justify putting them just ahead.

I don't like ranking players but if I had too... for me it would be a tie at WR4 between Ja'Marr Chase and AJ Brown with Cooper Kupp right there at six. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
IMO the best thing going for JB and Chase. There's not a QB or WR drafted in their draft or later that's better than either. Our boys are going nowhere but up the rankings.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2023, 10:58 AM)jason Wrote: I'm not knocking Jefferson in any way. He's fantastic, and statistically the best WR in the game... But he doesn't have a number 2 like Tee. That's a blessing and a curse. He's  not losing targets to that caliber of a player, but also doesn't have a guy like that taking pressure off of him.

Very true. Also, Jefferson is very erratic in his numbers, dude will get 150 yards one game and 35 the next. Has great hands though and 
makes some fantastic catches, some of the best I have seen. But Chase can do anything Jefferson can do even though he is shorter, but 
he is stronger and has better balance than anyone at WR. 

I think if anything though, if JJ had a better #2 it would only help him, he carries that WR core. We don't HAVE to depend on Chase like
the Vikes do...
Reply/Quote