Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Top 50 released with no Bengals listed.
(06-26-2021, 07:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We are used to no respect. I like it. Makes the player’s hungry.

We will see what happens, but neither Lamaar Jackson nor Pig Ben are on that list so I hope they aren't getting any sort of extra motivation from it.  Additionally, the Mahommes and Brady clearly haven't let being recognized go to their heads and affect their play in a negative manner.

But yea, with all the snubs the Bengals get they should be starving so hopefully they use it. Er, wait...do we get snubbed? Who should we have in the top 50? Bates and a DE we got as a FA maybe?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well I'm pissed off that every single Bengals player this season wasn't pre-selected to the HOF (hell of-a flop).  I mean last season spoke for itself didn't it?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 07:08 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff50-ranking-50-best-players-nfl-2021

Not sure how this list happens and Bates doesn't make the cut.

I will list two safeties.

Player A: 16 games played. 3 INTs, 15 PDs, 1 FF, 109 tackles
Player B: 16 games played. 5 INTs, 9 PDs, 0 FF, 96 tackles

Player A - Jessie Bates. Didn't make the Top 50
Player B - Justin Simmons. #23 on the list.

Since Bates entered the league, the only thing he has less of than Simmons is INTs (by 3).
Bates has 34 more tackles, 3 more PDs, and 2 more FFs since the start of 2018.

It's hard to believe Bates got beat out not only by Simmons, but Harrison Smith (MIN), John Johnson (CLE), and Marcus Williams (NO).

I'd have Bates in the 30-40 range on this list for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I will list two safeties.

Player A: 16 games played. 3 INTs, 15 PDs, 1 FF, 109 tackles
Player B: 16 games played. 5 INTs, 9 PDs, 0 FF, 96 tackles

Player A - Jessie Bates. Didn't make the Top 50
Player B - Justin Simmons. #23 on the list.

Since Bates entered the league, the only thing he has less of than Simmons is INTs (by 3).
Bates has 34 more tackles, 3 more PDs, and 2 more FFs since the start of 2018.

It's hard to believe Bates got beat out not only by Simmons, but Harrison Smith (MIN), John Johnson (CLE), and Marcus Williams (NO).

I'd have Bates in the 30-40 range on this list for sure.

Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Certainly Bates has been a bit overlooked as Cincinnati has been pretty bad the last couple seasons but  not sure why everyone take these things so personally.

You're right that he's probably better than some of those guys but ehh.  Who cares.

If Cincinnati can make a legit playoff run people will see the players for who they are and recognize the talent on this team.

Until then everyone will just see a bunch of losers and Joe Burrow and think 'well there goes Cincinnati ruining another QBs career'.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 12:55 PM)motoarch Wrote: Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Certainly Bates has been a bit overlooked as Cincinnati has been pretty bad the last couple seasons but  not sure why everyone take these things so personally.

You're right that he's probably better than some of those guys but ehh.  Who cares.

If Cincinnati can make a legit playoff run people will see the players for who they are and recognize the talent on this team.

Until then everyone will just see a bunch of losers and Joe Burrow and think 'well there goes Cincinnati ruining another QBs career'.

I never said they did, but if you're making tackles, you're the one getting a player down, which is a good thing.
If you're getting a lot of PDs, you're making a play on the ball a lot, which is a good thing.
If you're getting INTs and FFs, you're getting turnovers, which is a good thing.

No way would I put Bates behind John Johnson or Marcus Williams.

I'm also not buying the point that if the team was winning more, they'd get more recognition. Justin Simmons plays for a team that hasn't had a winning season since 2016, just one season less than the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 10:28 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I opened this list expecting only 1 or maybe 2 safeties on the list, and then concluding that safeties just aren't valued in the NFL like they used to be.

But there are 4 safeties on that list. (6 QBs, 5 RB, 2 TE, 8 WR, 5 tackles, 2 guards, 4 DTs, 5 DEs, 4 LBs, 5 CBs and 4 Safeties)

So they seem to think Bates is, at best, the 5th best safety in the NFL.

Seems wrong.

I like Bates and he was certainly elite in my book last year.  However, their write ups also talk a lot about how players did the previous few seasons.  Bates had a good rookie year, but struggled in '19.  His average PFF grade over the three years he's been in the league is 77, which is good, but certainly not elite.  It may be a case of Bates needing to back it up with another good season before they put him in that esteem.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 02:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We will see what happens, but neither Lamaar Jackson nor Pig Ben are on that list so I hope they aren't getting any sort of extra motivation from it.  Additionally, the Mahommes and Brady clearly haven't let being recognized go to their heads and affect their play in a negative manner.

But yea, with all the snubs the Bengals get they should be starving so hopefully they use it.  Er, wait...do we get snubbed?  Who should we have in the top 50?  Bates and a DE we got as a FA maybe?

You must be new here. Only Bengals players get extry motivation from being shunned. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Jessie Bates is the best single high safety in the NFL. 

Edit: The Draft Network has been doing peices on the 2018 Safety class and here is Jessie Bates Article.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jessie-bates-iii-cincinnati-bengals-2018-safety-class-ranking-rating
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 03:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You must be new here. Only Bengals players get extry motivation from being shunned. 

In all fairness, when you take into account that we have major questions in coaching, haven't had a winning season in 5 years, and have a "rookie" QB the amount of Bengals hype out there is pretty damn high.  Every team/fan likes to talk about what giant underdogs they are, though. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 03:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness, when you take into account that we have major questions in coaching, haven't had a winning season in 5 years, and have a "rookie" QB the amount of Bengals hype out there is pretty damn high.  Every team/fan likes to talk about what giant underdogs they are, though. 

I'm talking about extry and you're talking about fairness.

I think we're done here... Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 03:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Jessie Bates is the best single high safety in the NFL. 

Edit: The Draft Network has been doing peices on the 2018 Safety class and here is Jessie Bates Article.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jessie-bates-iii-cincinnati-bengals-2018-safety-class-ranking-rating

Thanks Synric, just needs to tackle better as TLL said. Could be a great Jessie Bates III.
Reply/Quote