Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting OL article by Ross Tucker from 2008
(11-10-2017, 04:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: this is a 2-3 year rebuild. 
The FA crop is not good. 

This is a good guard draft class. Should draft often. 
This is a weak tackle and center class thus far.
I've only seen one guy I'd call a first round tackle and a bunch lumped together after that. 

We can probably fix the IOL in this draft if we are smart. Draft guys who have versatility behind them so you aren't pigeonholed. 
Isaiah Wynn from UGA is a great example. LT right now at UGA but he's 6'2 so he's a guard in the NFL. Could play left or right. 
KC McDermott from The U is another. Taller but not a tackle except maybe in an emergency. 
Both guys seem to be bullies on the line too. 

Billy Price and Mason Cole are probably the prize centers in this class. Cole stuck at LT this year and he's struggling but he plays a lot like Zack Martin did at ND and a move back inside will do him wonders. Price has experience at G and C so he should be a top priority for Bengals scouts. 

As for tackles, it's all about McGlinchey in the first but after that you are looking at a lot of projection and upside guys. We are looking at a top 5-8 pick. 
I'm not even sure I'd take McGlinchey there. 

I agree that it's a 2-3 year rebuild for the line. If we draft guys, the best we can hope for in Year 1 is for them to be Average. That's a huge step up.

Unfortunately in 2-3 years...some of Green, Dunlap, and Atkins likely will be in other uniforms.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 10:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I mean, we will have 0 poker face because teams know we NEED linemen. 
If we trade back I'd expect a team to jump us in return tbh

Yet another downfall of rarely using free agency.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If there are no real LT prospects available high in the draft, then the only choice is to get strong on the interior. Then, if you don't have a steady stream of pass rushers coming up the gut, maybe there is a pocket to step up into and maybe your outside guys don't look so bad.

Also, if you get stronger up the middle, maybe you can run the ball better.

Problem is, Mike doesn't value interior linemen. Plus, you'd be dependent on rookies to come in and fix the train wreck. Maybe if you have a new OLine coach, this is doable. But who's holding their breath for that to happen?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote