Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF Week 1, top 5 and bottom 5
Top 5 on offense:

Ja'Marr Chase 74.5 (drops probably hurt him and the dumb penalty...which, BTW, why wasn't it offsetting with taunting? F'n refs.
Tee Higgins 69.5
Alex Cappa 69.3
Ted Karras 68.0
Joe Mixon 63.6

Bottom 5 on offense:

Mike Thomas 49.4
Trent Taylor 52.5
Drew Sample 53.4 (ironically, a 74.3 on pass blocking snaps, but that was only 4 snaps. Gee, predictable much?)
Joe Burrow 53.7
Cordelle Volson 54.2 (splits were 44.3 on an astounding 71 pass blocking snaps, and 64.7 on 29 run blocking snaps...wow. Again, maybe run the ball more and get your line some continuity?)

Top 5 on defense:

Trae Flowers 90.0 (It was only 5 snaps, all coverage, but still...)
DJ Reader 88.4 Still far and away the most underrated player on the team
Logan Wilson 86.7 Second most underrated?
Trey Hendrickson 82.7
Germaine Pratt 73.0 Third most underrated?

Bottom 5 on defense:

Zachary Carter 38.4 Only 11 snaps, but ugh.
ADG 49.8 Doesn't make a lot of sense, as every score on the 5 measures was >50? Tackling was a 70
Joseph Ossai 51.6 Still remains the player that should have been Spencer Brown (now RT for Buffalo) until he does anything. Had 10 pass rush snaps and did crap against a turd line.
Sam Hubbard 57.1 Find this hard to believe, and only a 27.8 in tackling?
Cam Sample 57.4 Only 9 snaps

Other notables:

Dax Hill 61.4 in his 6 snaps.
Jesse Bates 69.9 Hardly a $13 million performance. Watch what Fitzpatrick did...that's big money safety play.
Eli Apple 70.6 Highest rated secondary player other than Mike Hilton
Tyler Boyd 58.0 May have been dinged up, but sure got no separation and didn't impact the game at all
Hayden Hurst 63.4 Get this: Played 75 snaps, stayed in to pass block 1 snap. ONE! Anyone else think we are so damn predictable how they use Sample and Hurst?
Jonah Williams 62.5 Sadly, the 7th highest score on offense. Hardly a good performance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Apple had a really nice game.
Reply/Quote
54 from Volson is actually not as bad as I thought it could be. Real tough for him to draw Cam Heyward in his first NFL game. Hopefully now that the first one is out of the way for our OL they can start to build up chemistry. People forget OL play is more like zone defense in basketball you need to be on the same page. I think we underestimated how hard it would be first game.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Apple had a really nice game.

Yep, the amazing thing is the steelers won with their top WR getting 55 yards and their top receiver being a TE largely from a trick play.  Pickens, that was going to set the league on fire:  1 reception, 3 yards.  Oooohhhhh!  Hope all those black and gold tampon waving morons got him on their fantasy team!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:15 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: 54 from Volson is actually not as bad as I thought it could be.  Real tough for him to draw Cam Heyward in his first NFL game.  Hopefully now that the first one is out of the way for our OL they can start to build up chemistry.  People forget OL play is more like zone defense in basketball you need to be on the same page.  I think we underestimated how hard it would be first game.

71 pass blocking snaps in week 1???  That's insane.  And stupid.  
Reply/Quote
Need a coach that can call a Offensive Game plan... or make one for that matter... Sling the ball all day isnt much of a plan
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:15 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: 54 from Volson is actually not as bad as I thought it could be.  Real tough for him to draw Cam Heyward in his first NFL game.  Hopefully now that the first one is out of the way for our OL they can start to build up chemistry.  People forget OL play is more like zone defense in basketball you need to be on the same page.  I think we underestimated how hard it would be first game.

Yeah, everyone is hammering Volson, but for drawing Cam Heyward and Hightower in his first game, I am pretty confident he is going to become a solid left guard for us. Collins remarked that Volson is far ahead of where he was in his first game. 
Reply/Quote
The league has a years worth of film on
The Bengals offense playing at a high level.
Coaches are smart .they find weakness and exploit it.
That empty backfield formation that JB favors
So much the league will catch on.
It would not hurt Zac to use the TE to stay in and
Block. You can still create dynamic plays in a 1 and 2 TE
Sets.

Tre Flowers needs more playing time.everytime
He goes into a game,he locks down whoever he is assigned to.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: 71 pass blocking snaps in week 1???  That's insane.  And stupid.  

Burrow had 53 passes and 7 sacks where are the other 11 pass blocking snaps coming from?

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:21 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Burrow had 53 passes and 7 sacks where are the other 11 pass blocking snaps coming from?

EDIT:  When Burrow scrambled, they were pass blocking snaps, even though he ran.  

Not sure, but I remember hearing they had 100 snaps, and 71 were passing and 29 were running.  
Reply/Quote
The Pass rushing score is very limited due to opportunities. Pittsburgh wasn't holding the ball and looking for shots they were doing alot of misdirection and screen passes. The ball was coming out very fast.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, everyone is hammering Volson, but for drawing Cam Heyward and Hightower in his first game, I am pretty confident he is going to become a solid left guard for us. Collins remarked that Volson is far ahead of where he was in his first game. 

The thing from the coaching staff all offseason has been how quickly he learns and corrects things. Never sounded like that was just coach speak either, seemed genuine to me. I’m feeling pretty good about his future after that game even with the obvious mistakes. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic for him from that game too.
Reply/Quote
The run game wasn't much, save for the one big play. Four of our pass blocking snaps were INTs. When you get behind, the game plan changes. They gotta get better at run blocking. Should've gashed the Stoolers, but they didn't. Just hoping it was first game rust. It's a mixed bag on not playing starters in the preseason. Us and the Rams looked bad. MN and a couple others didn't play starters and won.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:21 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Burrow had 53 passes and 7 sacks where are the other 11 pass blocking snaps coming from?

60 is still too many 
Reply/Quote
Chase and Reader were our best players by far, so PFF got that right.

I assume the penalty, and a couple missed tackles (uncharacteristic for him) knocked Hubbard’s grade down.

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Top 5 on offense:

Ja'Marr Chase 74.5 (drops probably hurt him ***
It was one drop, not drops.
The Bengals had two drops, one by Chase and one by Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 10:48 AM)Nepa Wrote: It was one drop, not drops.
The Bengals had two drops, one by Chase and one by Thomas.

Both potential TDs, too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Top 5 on offense:

Ja'Marr Chase 74.5 (drops probably hurt him and the dumb penalty...which, BTW, why wasn't it offsetting with taunting?  F'n refs.
Tee Higgins 69.5
Alex Cappa 69.3
Ted Karras 68.0
Joe Mixon 63.6

Bottom 5 on offense:

Mike Thomas 49.4
Trent Taylor 52.5
Drew Sample 53.4 (ironically, a 74.3 on pass blocking snaps, but that was only 4 snaps. Gee, predictable much?)
Joe Burrow 53.7
Cordelle Volson 54.2 (splits were 44.3 on an astounding 71 pass blocking snaps, and 64.7 on 29 run blocking snaps...wow.  Again, maybe run the ball more and get your line some continuity?)

Top 5 on defense:

Trae Flowers 90.0 (It was only 5 snaps, all coverage, but still...)
DJ Reader 88.4 Still far and away the most underrated player on the team
Logan Wilson 86.7 Second most underrated?
Trey Hendrickson 82.7
Germaine Pratt 73.0 Third most underrated?

Bottom 5 on defense:

Zachary Carter 38.4  Only 11 snaps, but ugh.
ADG 49.8 Doesn't make a lot of sense, as every score on the 5 measures was >50?  Tackling was a 70
Joseph Ossai 51.6  Still remains the player that should have been Spencer Brown (now RT for Buffalo) until he does anything.  Had 10 pass rush snaps and did crap against a turd line.  
Sam Hubbard 57.1  Find this hard to believe, and only a 27.8 in tackling?
Cam Sample 57.4  Only 9 snaps

Other notables:

Dax Hill 61.4 in his 6 snaps.
Jesse Bates 69.9 Hardly a $13 million performance.  Watch what Fitzpatrick did...that's big money safety play.
Eli Apple 70.6 Highest rated secondary player other than Mike Hilton
Tyler Boyd 58.0 May have been dinged up, but sure got no separation and didn't impact the game at all
Hayden Hurst 63.4 Get this:  Played 75 snaps, stayed in to pass block 1 snap.  ONE! Anyone else think we are so damn predictable how they use Sample and Hurst?
Jonah Williams 62.5 Sadly, the 7th highest score on offense.  Hardly a good performance.

ugh, it's that sort of stuff which makes me pull my hair out with Zac/Callahan at times.

Its week 1, everyone is worried we might be a bit undercooked, new line looking to gel...everyone is gonna fly off the ball and go Joe hunting with that kinda predictability.

its the same with the empty set.  The minute we first drive , first game went empty i was swearing at the TV - just give it to Joe Mixon for three runs, get settled into the game - or god forbid break a tendency once in a while.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, everyone is hammering Volson, but for drawing Cam Heyward and Hightower in his first game, I am pretty confident he is going to become a solid left guard for us. Collins remarked that Volson is far ahead of where he was in his first game. 

The kid faced Aaron Donald, then Cam Heyward and Hightower... what a way to start your career.

Reply/Quote
Hubbard wasn’t great on Sunday he was solid enough witching shining apart from that snap that should have been called for IG.

But the play where he jumped offside creating the free play that led to the field goal he was that damn early and still missed the qb. No excuse to jump that quick and still get nowhere near him.
Reply/Quote