Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE a priority?
I've read a few articles and the consideration of TE even as our first pick, this article came to my attention.

Ertz? Interesting concept.

Bengals potential trade?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Philly is going to be a place to get a few players. The just cut Deshaun Jackson and I'm pretty sure Alshon Jefferey will soon follow.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 07:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Philly is going to be a place to get a few players. The just cut Deshaun Jackson and I'm pretty sure Alshon Jefferey will soon follow.

2 years ago I'd have been all in on Alshon, but he is certainly starting to slow down and there are so really good options at WR out there.

Ertz, would be a really interesting pick up for us and would again completely open up the draft board.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
This really doesn't make much sense to me. Ertz is only signed through this year, and his base salary that we would take on is 8.25 millon dollars.

Is he reallty worth renting for a year at the amount? Is he someone you'd want to work out a long-term deal with? (I wouldn't).

You can grab someone like Hunter Henry for a comparable amount and I'm not so sure he's not the better player right now. He's younger and you'd have him locked up for a few years. Plus you don't have trade anything for him.

If we're going to move down in the draft, I don't care even if it's only a spot, I want to receive draft compensation, not move down and attatch a 5th with it (the proposal in this article)

If we're dead set on a tight end eithe go Henry, or trade down and take Pitts. Pitts would be locked up for years at 7 mil(ish) per a year, and could very well be immediately better than Ertz. And if you find a QB desperate team a couple of spots behind us we could manage to land him and an extra decent pick or two.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 07:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 2 years ago I'd have been all in on Alshon, but he is certainly starting to slow down and there are so really good options at WR out there.

2 years ago if we grabbed Alshon as a FA people would have been like "NOOOO he's gonna get in the way of Ross breaking out!"
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 08:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This really doesn't make much sense to me.  Ertz is only signed through this year, and his base salary that we would take on is 8.25 millon dollars.

Is he reallty worth renting for a year at the amount?  Is he someone you'd want to work out a long-term deal with? (I wouldn't).

You can grab someone like Hunter Henry for a comparable amount and I'm not so sure he's not the better player right now.  He's younger and you'd have him locked up for a few years.  Plus you don't have trade anything for him.

If we're going to move down in the draft, I don't care even if it's only a spot, I want to receive draft compensation, not move down and attatch a 5th with it (the proposal in this article)

If we're dead set on a tight end eithe go Henry, or trade down and take Pitts.  Pitts would be locked up for years at 7 mil(ish) per a year, and could very well be immediately better than Ertz.  And if you find a QB desperate team a couple of spots behind us we could manage to land him and an extra decent pick or two.

I'd take a 30 year old Zach Ertz over a 26 year old Hunter Henry every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

As to the compensation; I doubt it would be much. Philly may wind up having to cut Ertz to save $4 Mil in cap, if they can trade they save $8 Mil in cap. 

As you say; Ertz will cost around $8 Mil this year, but Hunter will most likely cost more (Sportstrac estimates average of $10 Mil) 

Then there's the durability factor

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd take a 30 year old Zach Ertz over a 26 year old Hunter Henry every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

As to the compensation; I doubt it would be much. Philly may wind up having to cut Ertz to save $4 Mil in cap, if they can trade they save $8 Mil in cap. 

As you say; Ertz will cost around $8 Mil this year, but Hunter will most likely cost more (Sportstrac estimates average of $10 Mil) 

Then there's the durability factor

where would you fit Jared Cook into this TE conversation ?
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: where would you fit Jared Cook into this TE conversation ?

Dude has been very durable and a good pass catching asset in his career. But I gotta say 34 years old and 11 years at that position is definitely pushing it. I would be on board for a 1 year at about $5 Mil 

Reply/Quote
If anyone read the article, they certainly saw the paragraph that started with "The Eagles can't afford to extend him, and after his injury riddled season.."

Didn't the Bengals just let another fantastic TE, about the same age, also with an injury riddled history go to another team in free agency? What makes anyone think that a team needing serious improvement at fundamental, core position players, needs to take a huge financial investment in a guy that appears to be on the backside of his playing days, at a position that the offense underuses, anyway?

Change my mind, please.. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If anyone read the article, they certainly saw the paragraph that started with "The Eagles can't afford to extend him, and after his injury riddled season.."

Didn't the Bengals just let another fantastic TE, about the same age, also with an injury riddled history go to another team in free agency?  What makes anyone think that a team needing serious improvement at fundamental, core position players, needs to take a huge financial investment in a guy that appears to be on the backside of his playing days, at a position that the offense underuses, anyway?

Change my mind, please..   Mellow
Ertz has missed 11 games in 8 years. Using Eifert as a comparison is.....

Reply/Quote
don't we have a early second round tight end that we sprinted to the podium to take despite him having 400 and something career yards? the stupid piles up on you.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ertz has missed 11 games in 8 years. Using Eifert as a comparison is.....

Good point, he should be able to be available every game, on a team that utilizes a TE the way Zac Taylor does.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’d rather take Pitts in the draft over Ertz. He’s 30 and coming off a bad year with 1 year left on his contract. I don’t like it.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 10:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’d rather take Pitts in the draft over Ertz. He’s 30 and coming off a bad year with 1 year left on his contract. I don’t like it.

Except you can have Sewell and Ertz, or Chase and Ertz... rather than Pitts and somebody like Marvin Jones.

1st year TEs aren't particularly good (maybe because it's a very complex position with both WR-ish and OL-ish duties to learn?), historically, while 1st year OL and WRs can be.

He's also coming off a bad year only because 2020 Eagles QB play was hot trash. 55.9% completion, 6.2 YPA, 22 TDs/20 INTs, 72.9 QB Rating

He's one year removed from a 900 yard season. The odds Pitts can do that is slim.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote