Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades through week 9
(11-12-2021, 02:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: I do get a chuckle out of PFF thinking Hendrickson with his 8.5 sacks in 9 games plus a lot of pressures and also competency against the run is only 59th as a DE - this is the kind of thing that makes one distrust PFF.

For sure...
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson has been bad against the run.

The stark thing to me is how significantly the grades have collapsed for some, notably Logan Wilson. He was top ten for a number of weeks and then took the nosedive (which aligns well with what we've seen defensively the past two weeks). And what the hell has happened to Jessie Bates.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: I do get a chuckle out of PFF thinking Hendrickson with his 8.5 sacks in 9 games plus a lot of pressures and also competency against the run is only 59th as a DE - this is the kind of thing that makes one distrust PFF.

Those sacks account for 8 of his 12 solo tackles this year. He's played 71% of the snaps and has only made 4 non-sack solo tackles (and 7 non-sack assisted tackles) in 9 games. Meanwhile he's missed 13% of his tackles. The sacks are nice, but you have to contribute SOMETHING else to be a whole player. It's like how DH in MLB get a big defensive penalty when calculating WAR because they contribute literally nothing to defense which is a large part of calculating contributed value, if all you have is contribution from a single source, it's not as good as guys who have it from 2-3 sources.

Player A
Pass: 8/10
Run: 2/10
Average: 5/10

Player B
Pass: 6/10
Run: 6/10
Average: 6/10

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Did not realize from PFF perspective how bad Caman has played
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bates is having a disappointing season, he needs to step it up.

He wants to be paid like a top 5 safety, but fact is he is not playing like a top 20 safety so far this year.

We are 5-4 with 8 games left. We have s shot to win the division or get a wild card. It starts again next week against the Raiders on the road. My wife and I will be in the stands cheering them on. 6-4 and another road win against an AFC opponent looks a lot better than 5-5.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 10:48 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The answer to this question is yes, high PFF team ratings do equate to winning football. It has a correlation coefficient of 0.75, so a pretty strong relationship to team wins. Here is the chart to visualize the distribution.

[Image: TJ9clH3.png]

Which dot is the Bengals?Hmm
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 10:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bates is having a disappointing season, he needs to step it up.

He wants to be paid like a top 5 safety, but fact is he is not playing like a top 20 safety so far this year.

We are 5-4 with 8 games left. We have s shot to win the division or get a wild card. It starts again next week against the Raiders on the road. My wife and I will be in the stands cheering them off. 6-4 and another road win against an AFC opponent looks a lot better than 5-5.

Yeah, I was in the Tag Bates camp, but I would have been happy with a $11m/yr extension. I just wanted nothing to do with the $13-17m/yr range. Now I think $11m would have been an overpay. So a year has changed a lot so far.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 11:05 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Which dot is the Bengals?Hmm

They have the Bengals ranked 9th, so they are the dot closest to the 10 with five wins.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 11:05 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Which dot is the Bengals?Hmm

Yeah, explain to me what I'm looking at.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Reader, Bell, Hendrickson, Hubbard, Wilson, have all been damn good this year.

Kind of surprised Chase isn't top 5 as last I heard he was leading the league in some categories at this point as a rookie.

Burrow just needs to stop throwing the INT's. Seems like I say this every week but it is true.

Still liking this team and Spain I want re-signed after his season he has had. Been great.

I'd say he takes a big hit on dropped balls
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 03:20 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Hendrickson has been bad against the run.

The stark thing to me is how significantly the grades have collapsed for some, notably Logan Wilson. He was top ten for a number of weeks and then took the nosedive (which aligns well with what we've seen defensively the past two weeks). And what the hell has happened to Jessie Bates.

All starts up front.  If the line can't keep the LBs clean, they suffer.  If the line can't get a pass rush, the secondary suffers.

I am all for more blitz packages.  Darius Phillips has actually been a pretty good blitzer, and we all know about Hilton.  Our LBs should blitz more as well.  Not saying do it every play, but they need to change things up as they have become predictable and the front four simply can't do anything when other teams go max protect.  
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 11:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: They have the Bengals ranked 9th, so they are the dot closest to the 10 with five wins.

You have Baltimore and Arizona backwards. Baltimore is 5th with 6 wins and Arizona is 6th with 8 wins. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2021, 11:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: They have the Bengals ranked 9th, so they are the dot closest to the 10 with five wins.

Appreciate the explanation.  I think this is good evidence that PFF scores can be credible data and may help settle some of the debate here on the board about their significance.  While they're not perfect, it's nice that somebody is doing some player grading and not just by the casual fan eye test.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote