Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF grades week 1
(09-13-2021, 02:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: They weren’t far from poor. Then again, they weren’t far from great.

They were ok. Which is ok.

Hopkins drags that interior unit down though

Spain was a 79.  I am not sure how that is ok.  That is very good, and although his score didn't reflect it (likely because of that one hit he allowed on Burrow, which I think was the Higgins TD) XSF looked to be moving guys in the run game very well.  

The weak link, and the only "weak" link in that game, was Hopkins.  It was highlighted in the "locked on Bengals podcast" that Hopkins tried "jump sets" in both those blow by sacks.  Lisco mentioned he had not seen Hopkins do that last year, and thought it might have been something that was being coached, but he obviously needs a lot of work at it.  

That guy, Jake Lisco, might sound like he is talking under a blanket a bit, but he really knows his stuff.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m gonna go back and watch the game but I’m pretty sure all of Mixon’s big runs came in 1st/2nd and 10 situations and longer.

Very unsuccessful with the 3rd and short type runs

Which would mean that run game isn’t as good as it should be

I have been going back and forth with a buddy on this exact subject.  In short yardage, when the opponent knows what you are likely to do, you have two choices to convert:  have the power in your run game to move them for a yard and have your RB pound it inside to move the chains, or fool them with something misdirection, an outside toss, or a pass.  

The first choice is the safest, as you know the snap count and the opponent doesn't (if on the road, that advantage can be negated with crowd noise forcing a silent count), but it also takes a yeoman's job to execute and one missed block or assignment likely gets the play blown up.

The latter choice is much more common, but defenses are so good today in terms of speed and following the ball, that these sort of "gimmicky" approaches often end up in a huge loss.  See the Bills pass-back on 4th and short.  What the HELL was that???

The bottom line is:  If the other team is selling out against a short yardage run, even a QB sneak might not work for the half yard or so. This happened to the Raiders in that MNF game.  Carr tried to sneak it in from the one, but was stuffed after about half a yard.  Instead of doing the logical thing and sneaking it again, they attempted a pass that was tipped and intercepted. 

They still won the game when Lamar fumbled (again), but you get my point. 

I will add that Mixon is not a great short yardage back, and Perine is probably more suited for that role.  Tips your hand a bit, but still....
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 04:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Multiple people slipped on the turf yesterday, I wonder if the heat didn't do something to make it slick.

Don't have the all 22 yet, but someone at the game said Thomas slipped as Burrow threw that seemingly errant pass.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 05:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Ogunjobi would be higher. Nice to see Pratt in the top 5 though.

VERY nice to see Pratt have the game he did.  Solid coverage and tackling grades.  They even lined him up on the LOS several times.  

Ogunjobi probably would have been rated a 90+ if the game ended midway through the third quarter.  He clearly wore down, which is very understandable.  

That is why I am hoping for more rotation with Sample and Hodge to keep Hubbard and Hendrickson fresh and breathing fire.  It is going to be another hot one Sunday.  We need those guys ready to turn the pig in to bacon.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 08:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Spain was a 79.  I am not sure how that is ok.  That is very good, and although his score didn't reflect it (likely because of that one hit he allowed on Burrow, which I think was the Higgins TD) XSF looked to be moving guys in the run game very well.  

The weak link, and the only "weak" link in that game, was Hopkins.  It was highlighted in the "locked on Bengals podcast" that Hopkins tried "jump sets" in both those blow by sacks.  Lisco mentioned he had not seen Hopkins do that last year, and thought it might have been something that was being coached, but he obviously needs a lot of work at it.  

That guy, Jake Lisco, might sound like he is talking under a blanket a bit, but he really knows his stuff.  

Jumps Sets are more common when a team is using alot more play action. I remember one of Hopkins losses was definitely playaction out of almost an I-Formation. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 07:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just a couple notes to add in. 

The Bengals, as a team, had the 5th highest overall grade of all games yesterday, at 80.6
The Offense had 8 guys score 65+, and i say that to highlight my next point...
The Defense had 13 guys score 65+ and Trey Hendrickson just missed the mark. 

ADG and Pratt were in the top 5 with 75+ scores. Logan Wilson checked in with a 70+.
Four of the top seven scores on defense were from DL guys. 

I just saw this as well.  Someone already did their PFF ratings, but I am still going to do mine soon (National meeting that went virtual...ugh....been busy as hell) and I wanted to point this out.

I would also like to point out that, aside from the other top 5 teams, I think only the Bucs had a tough draw in the Cowboys.  The Bengals rated that well against a really good offense and solid defense.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 07:11 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Reminds me of the movie black sheep.

“Do you know how fast you were going?”

“I guess I was going 65. Tops.”

“SEVEN”

[Image: 200.gif?cid=ecf05e479aqz68i5n88mqv37yfya...0.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not worried with Hopkins. He'll turn it around. He's always been a good pass protector.

I'm not surprised to see the pass blocking grades for Spain and XSF. That's about average and expected for both of them. I'm not expecting either of them to be consistently above the 60's.

Williams and Reiff in the 70's is also expected.

On another note - Only 2 targets to a TE all game, both of which went to Uzomah. If this game is any indication, don't expect a lot of pass-catching contribution from TEs again this year. It's all about WRs and RBs.

On defense, the new DTs played well. Hopefully Pratt can play consistently solid (or better) this year, which is his 3rd year. Good first game for him.

I think that was dictated by matchups.  I can't help but think against a team that is good at CB and not as solid at S, the TEs will be used more....maybe against the Browns?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think that was dictated by matchups.  I can't help but think against a team that is good at CB and not as solid at S, the TEs will be used more....maybe against the Browns?

I mean, it might, but the TE hasn't been a focal point of the offense the past two years either, nor was it a focal point anywhere else Taylor was.

I do expect that there will be games that the TE is targeted more than just twice, but I don't see a TE being Top 3 in targets by the end of the year.
I think it's going to be heavily focused on Chase, Boyd, and Higgins with occasional RB and TE mixed in.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 10:15 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean, it might, but the TE hasn't been a focal point of the offense the past two years either, nor was it a focal point anywhere else Taylor was.

I do expect that there will be games that the TE is targeted more than just twice, but I don't see a TE being Top 3 in targets by the end of the year.
I think it's going to be heavily focused on Chase, Boyd, and Higgins with occasional RB and TE mixed in.

I agree. We were using TE's to block and when they weren't blocking you often had Kendricks, one of the best LB in the game, on them so it wasn't a great match up. I think there will be games where the matchup will dictate more targets but I don't think it'll be next week either.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 03:36 PM)pally Wrote:

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 10:15 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean, it might, but the TE hasn't been a focal point of the offense the past two years either, nor was it a focal point anywhere else Taylor was.

That makes a lot of sense, and I don't mean to say that CJ would be a "focal point", but last year, Burrow had more chemistry early on with CJ over any other receiver.  They might play more two TE (12 personnel) more than we expect.  Helps with the rushing game as well.

Then again, he didn't have Tee Higgins or Chase at the beginning of last year, either, so who knows.  I would like to see Uzo get some more action.  Maybe 5 targets a game.  Force DBs to tackle the big man.  It isn't fun getting up and trying to run with sub 4.5 WRs after getting pummeled by a TE.  
Reply/Quote
Our WR’s are going to give teams fits…

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2021, 09:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will add that Mixon is not a great short yardage back, 

Actually Mixon has been one of the most efficient and productive short yardage backs in the league.

Since his rookie season ('17) only FOUR running backs have converted more first downs on third-and-one than Mixon's 24, and only three of those four converted at a higher percentage than Mixon's 75%.  Zeke Elliott has the best conversion percentage of those top RBs and it is only slightly higher (81%).
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 09:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually Mixon has been one of the most efficient and productive short yardage backs in the league.

Since his rookie season ('17) only FOUR running backs have converted more first downs on third-and-one than Mixon's 24, and only three of those four converted at a higher percentage than Mixon's 75%.  Zeke Elliott has the best conversion percentage of those top RBs and it is only slightly higher (81%).

Do you have the actual numbers of how many times he converted each year?  Because he seems to try and bounce things (he did Sunday) instead of just ramming it up in there.  He's big enough, and just needs to get low and stay inside.  
Reply/Quote