Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF ranks Andy #11
Do you agree with these rankings, and where would you place Andy?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-8?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff
Reply/Quote
People tend to think of the PFF grades like Madden ratings...but the grades are based on actual play.

Interesting that Tyrod Taylor is 6.
Reply/Quote
These can't be right.

Time to pass has to be incorrect, as he is sacked in 2.1 seconds, so how can he have 2.63 seconds time to throw?

And 9th in deep ball rating? I repeatedly read here that he is bad at the deep game!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
PFF ranks him with an season average rating at #11. That's with that first game in Baltimore that drops that average significantly
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
His time to throw is equal to Brady's.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:09 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF ranks him with an season average rating at #11. That's with that first game in Baltimore that drops that average significantly

Yeah PFF adjusts for dropped passes and all kinds of errors. So Dalton is actually playing pretty well. The results just don't look good because the talent around him isn't there.

If you look at the Steelers offense...they're better than us at basically every single position. Even possibly WR1 with Brown generally being ranked 1.
Reply/Quote
Can’t have it both ways. You can’t trash PFF when you don’t like the ranking but believe it when it supports your feelings. You either believe in their rankings or you don’t
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:13 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: Can’t have it both ways. You can’t trash PFF when you don’t like the ranking but believe it when it supports your feelings. You either believe in their rankings or you don’t

People do all the time when I post the PFF rankings.

They choose to think that Vigil is great because he racks up a lot of tackles.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People do all the time when I post the PFF rankings.

Tackles don’t mean much if they are mostly made 7+ yards downfield

There have been a lot of tackling machine lbs that didn’t last long because they never made plays in front of them
Reply/Quote
The eye test tells me i can't fairly rank Andy do to the often mentioned variables. I will say when it comes to problems with this team he is near the bottom.

Reply/Quote
#11?

Can't say I'm too surprised. Since the switch to Lazor, Dalton has a 104.3 rating behind this shit storm.

Dalton has always been more of a producer than a guy who dazzles you with pretty passes. If people could see past that, they'd realize we have a guy that plays the QB position really well. It's not all about who throws the prettiest spiral the farthest. There's so much to the QB position, and Dalton is good at enough things to make him a good QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Do you agree with these rankings, and where would you place Andy?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-qb-rankings-by-pff-grade-after-week-8?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

I think PFF rankings for QBs way overvalue the rushing ability of the QBs.  Deshaun Watson, with enough starts, would have been the runaway #1 QB, and he just isn't that.  But it leads me to the point:  Russell Wilson, Mariota, Winston, and especially Tyrod Taylor are way overvalued for this reason.  I would have said the same thing about Carson Wentz, but he has greatly improved his patience and ability to stay in the pocket, or as is often said about Wilson, he "scrambles to throw" and makes big plays without putting himself in harms way as much as the so-called rushing QBs.

There should be points for durability, as Mariota and Winston (and Watson, though not included) will be greatly impacted by their inability to read defenses and be more of a rushing threat.  Most QBs simply can't hold up to an 16 game season with today's defenses.  

I think Dalton's performance behind this line is extraordinary.  Don't quote the "time to pass", as that is also a function of the WRs being able to get open.  This is why Dalton seems to hold on to the ball too long.  Good thing the dumbass coaching staff keeps his quickest target on the bench.  Gio and Mixon should be getting as many targets in the passing game as rushes.  
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People do all the time when I post the PFF rankings.

Thr games Vigil has alot of tackles in are thr games he's graded high by PFF....

PFF even though they grade individual you have to remmeber offense and defense are units. Look at Vigil in thr Pit game. Nick grades low but a huge part of the failure was on the defensive line. The Pit Oline was blowing up the Dline and getting their hands on linebackers allowing Bell to get into the secondary where he made Dennard look awful tackling. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think Dalton has played very well this year, so well that any concerns I may have had about him are gone. Given time and weapons he is as good as any QB not in the “Elite” category (this year I’d only call Brady, Rogers and maybe Brees elite, every other QB’s play will be very reliant on the weapons, coaching and line around them). I think he really did take a big step in 2015 and his play hasn’t dropped off too much since then, it’s just harder to tell with the line and play calling we’ve had since.

As far as the NFL as a whole, I see at most a handful of clear upgrades and then a bunch of guys like Andy that given the right situation can win Super Bowls and put up numbers/play like the elite guys as long as everything falls into place around them. The QB play overall is down and I no longer see the clear difference between guys ranked around 5-20 so ranking QB’s into tiers is more appropriate imo than a straight ranking system if we were to try to rank them as overall players.
Reply/Quote
Slightly off-topic, but looking at QB's this year, it's funny how some of the QB's people placed ahead of Dalton have come tumbling down to earth.

Cam Newton is having another awful year. Marcus Mariota fell off. Derek Carr no longer looks like a future elite.

Blake Bortles is being hidden by his HC. Joe Flacco looks like the worst QB in the NFL.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Do you agree with these rankings, and where would you place Andy?

Question comes to mind right away...how is Winston ahead of Dalton when 3 of Winston's categories are in the mid 20s while Dalton only has 1, Dalton's big time throws and turnover worth throws are better and his deep passing is a whopping 40 points better?

Makes zero sense...which means, i dismiss their evaluating ability completely. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
How is it that every year this same question gets asked? Dalton is and has been an average to above average QB. His supporting cast determines how good or bad he will be. He will never be Elite and has never been terrible. He's had some great and crappy games. He is and has been pretty much what he is ever gonna be. How many games do people have to watch to comprehend? Two bad games in a row doesn't mean that he sucks and two good games in a row doesn't make him top notch. He's a solid average guy. Why people get hung up on is he the 9th best or the 19th best is beyond me. His team mostly dictates how well he can do. Smh
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:09 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF ranks him with an season average rating at #11. That's with that first game in Baltimore that drops that average significantly

Ok...if we are going to play this game it goes both ways. Andy tore up the Browns which is the worst team in the NFL by far. So I’d say between the Baltimore game and Browns game they about average out.

For the record I’ve never thought Andy to be top 10 but he’s never t far from it, so I’d say 11 is just about right.
Reply/Quote
How the hell do they have Watson at #24? Kid was tearing it up. As to the ranking: I'd have him at 13. No idea why he's ahead of Cousins or Stafford (who they have as 20th for some reason).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How the hell do they have Watson at #24? Kid was tearing it up. As to the ranking: I'd have him at 13. No idea why he's ahead of Cousins or Stafford (who they have as 20th for some reason).

Outside of the big run, he didn't do much against us.  And that performance plays into those stats.  Long throwing motion and a poor completion percentage (curious of how it is "adjusted") also drag him down.
Reply/Quote