Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF's "Best at Everything - Offense" - Joe Burrow
(12-18-2019, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: True, but look at the cap for next year. 
$60 mill without AJ Green.
Expect another $10-13 mill rollover.
So $73 mill.
Cutting/trading Dalton would result in ~$90 mill cap space.
Doing the same with Cordy Glenn would put the Bengals at ~$99 mill.

If AJ Green is tagged, it's expected to be about $18.5 mill according to OverTheCap projections.
That's a good chunk of change eating that available cap space for a player on the downside of his career, big injury risk, and could be used toward a different player actually entering his prime.
Sure, they would have enough to keep him if they wanted and still be active in FA but I don't see the Bengals actually having a chance to get deep in the playoffs in the next 1-2 years so why even bother with keeping Green?

...But let's be honest, we aren't going on a 1 year spending spree either. That 18.5 probably wasn't getting spent on outside FA's anyways so is that 18.5 sitting in our ledger and not used more valuable than AJ Green potentially on a one year deal? 

My answer would be if the plan is to take Burrow you keep him and help a rookie QB out with an elite talent. Our current receiving group is not good, although Tate being out doesn't help. We can add rookies but they are going to need to learn the ropes too. The FA WR class leaves little to be desired in terms of high level #1 receivers so you are going to just be adding role players there if you go that route.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: Not saying do it or don't, but it's only 6 million more than what was tied up in him this year. Considering you'll be shedding 17 million in Dalton you still come away net 11 for next season.

(12-18-2019, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: True, but look at the cap for next year. 
$60 mill without AJ Green.
Expect another $10-13 mill rollover.
So $73 mill.
Cutting/trading Dalton would result in ~$90 mill cap space.
Doing the same with Cordy Glenn would put the Bengals at ~$99 mill.

If AJ Green is tagged, it's expected to be about $18.5 mill according to OverTheCap projections.
That's a good chunk of change eating that available cap space for a player on the downside of his career, big injury risk, and could be used toward a different player actually entering his prime.
Sure, they would have enough to keep him if they wanted and still be active in FA but I don't see the Bengals actually having a chance to get deep in the playoffs in the next 1-2 years so why even bother with keeping Green?

If my understanding of it is correct AJ has made it pretty clear he doesn't want franchise tagged. I highly doubt any team out there is going to offer AJ top level money given his age and recent history.

Some team however would probably take a chance on a medium high prove it deal. AJ has stated and I believe him to a degree, he wants to stay in Cincinnati. Why wouldn't the Bengals just offer him a matching prove it deal ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...But let's be honest, we aren't going on a 1 year spending spree either. That 18.5 probably wasn't getting spent on outside FA's anyways so is that 18.5 sitting in our ledger and not used more valuable than AJ Green potentially on a one year deal? 

My answer would be if the plan is to take Burrow you keep him and help a rookie QB out with an elite talent. Our current receiving group is not good, although Tate being out doesn't help. We can add rookies but they are going to need to learn the ropes too. The FA WR class leaves little to be desired in terms of high level #1 receivers so you are going to just be adding role players there if you go that route.

I wasn't referring to a 1-year spending spree. I was referring to getting a player (or players) who would be highly productive for 3+ years. I personally don't see AJ Green being in that category anymore.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wasn't referring to a 1-year spending spree. I was referring to getting a player (or players) who would be highly productive for 3+ years. I personally don't see AJ Green being in that category anymore.

Right, my point though was you showed a total available cap number of $99 million and said he would take $18 of that. They won't be spending $99 million, or even $50 million most likely, on outside FA's in a single FA period. I don't believe for a second that AJ's tag would have any impact on what their outside FA spending pool is.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If my understanding of it is correct AJ has made it pretty clear he doesn't want franchise tagged. I highly doubt any team out there is going to offer AJ top level money given his age and recent history.

Some team however would probably take a chance on a medium high prove it deal. AJ has stated and I believe him to a degree, he wants to stay in Cincinnati. Why wouldn't the Bengals just offer him a matching prove it deal ?

His interest in being tagged or not really isn't our concern. We will tag him according to Hobson if a deal isn't established. The issue is once you let him hit FA and don't tag him you have no right to match he has to give you that right. The reason why he most likely gets a big deal is simple, there is always one crazy ass team who will pay too much because they need to hit the minimum cap spending floor. 
Reply/Quote