Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PFF stats shows how bad the OL has been
BTW like I said upthread the right side of the OL is much improved. Today that right side essentially erased the left side of the Carolina defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:11 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, the problem with your theory is Carman was switched to the right side of the Line where he was uncomfortable, Rieff
was old and injury prone, Spain was good in the regular season, got hurt and played terrible in the postseason, this OL is 
trying to adapt to different schemes, from wide zone to gap etc.

They showed up today, the only sack was from Jonah and he still is playing through the torn knee cap and he actually still
played well today and lead Mixon to his first TD of the day.

Wilcox was battling, I like this dude. Cool

A good friend that I watch games with when not working has been saying all year how much he likes Wilcox 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 11:14 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Yeah, in spite of the holes it had, it got us to the super bow. I suspect that that pressure is probably what made Burrow more accurate and better. His adrenaline must of been off the charts.

We didn't go because of the OL,  but it did get us there.

The OL did NOT take us to to the SB but it was part of what got us to the SB. Big difference. 2nd half defense stepping up in all the playoff games really got us there.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 02:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

I'm not really sure what the differentiator is, but PFF has Volson with a 57.0 pass block grade on the season.
He has allowed 20 total pressures through 9 games (3 sacks, 7 hits, 10 hurries).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 02:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not really sure what the differentiator is, but PFF has Volson with a 57.0 pass block grade on the season.
He has allowed 20 total pressures through 9 games (3 sacks, 7 hits, 10 hurries).

That tweet was just from true passing sets.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 02:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That tweet was just from true passing sets.

Right. What differentiates a "true passing set" from other passing sets?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 03:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not an easy answer lol. See link below.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-true-pass-sets-and-their-importance-to-player-evaluation

TL;DR
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 03:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Right. What differentiates a "true passing set" from other passing sets?

A “true passing” play is a drop back pass where there is no play action, RPO, screen, or qb roll out. It’s a good way of evaluating a lineman’s pass protection, because there are no schematic variables to help him pass protect.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: TL;DR

It seems that they define a "true passing set" where they line up, and it's a straight drop back.  They throw out screen plays, play action, and designed roll outs when evaluating the "true passing set" grades.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2022, 01:18 AM)Trademark Wrote: [Image: 8563-A38-D-6-BBC-4-EAC-A92-A-9-E6-F0-A022-C73.jpg]

These numbers are wrong.  If you go back and look at last year's game logs, Burrow was sacked 20 times through 8 games.

Minnesota - 5
Chicago - 5
Pittsburgh - 0
Jax - 1
Green Bay - 3
Detroit - 2
Baltimore - 1
Jets - 3

Which means that he was sacked 31 times in the last 8 games.  So, we actually are trending the right way this year.  30 sacks so far, with 15 of them coming in the first 3 games.

And I do get that some of these sacks are "credited" to guys other than linemen, but I don't really buy into that whole theory.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 05:36 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: A “true passing” play is a drop back pass where there is no play action, RPO, screen, or qb roll out. It’s a good way of evaluating a lineman’s pass protection, because there are no schematic variables to help him pass protect.

(11-07-2022, 05:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It seems that they define a "true passing set" where they line up, and it's a straight drop back.  They throw out screen plays, play action, and designed roll outs when evaluating the "true passing set" grades.

Ok.
But those "other" passing sets are valid and thus have value.

If Volson is performing well in "true passing sets" but not the other passing sets, what's the problem with those others?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Maybe we finally found ourselves a decent young lineman. He ain't an all pro, but for a rookie he seems to be moving along well. Maybe he'll take the Clint Bowling trajectory and come in next season looking like an above average, dependable long-term fixture.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 07:21 PM)samhain Wrote: Maybe we finally found ourselves a decent young lineman.  He ain't an all pro, but for a rookie he seems to be moving along well.  Maybe he'll take the Clint Bowling trajectory and come in next season looking like an above average, dependable long-term fixture.

From what I am seeing I think that is a distinct possibility.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 06:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok.
But those "other" passing sets are valid and thus have value.

If Volson is performing well in "true passing sets" but not the other passing sets, what's the problem with those others?

I'm not sure what it is that they don't like about him on pass plays involving movement.  I do know from what others have shared with regard to the PFF grading system that when an OL makes the expected block, the score is a zero, not a positive or negative.  Speaking of movement, I would have thought that Volson's overall grade would have been much higher for Sunday's game, as he looked quite sharp on several pulls that I noticed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Volson has been a very pleasant surprise, and it feels so nice to know we have LG locked down for the foreseeable future.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 06:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: These numbers are wrong.  If you go back and look at last year's game logs, Burrow was sacked 20 times through 8 games.

Quote:And I do get that some of these sacks are "credited" to guys other than linemen, but I don't really buy into that whole theory.

You're refuting yourself here. It doesn't matter if you buy into it, this is a post about PFF's stats, using their methodology. The numbers aren't wrong, they just don't match what you're personally expecting because you don't like to use their methodology. 
Reply/Quote
L Collins is the best guy on the line? That doesn't sound right.

BTW, if we needed interior help due to injury, Quinton Spain, Trey Hopkins, and XFS are all available. Heck, XFS played left tackle some in college, maybe go get him and rotate him with Jonah to keep them fresh and give defenses something else to scheme for. Better yet, run the ball with a 6 OL unbalanced line for some plays (and don't be afraid to occasionally direct snap to a back). It won't solve all our problems but any improvement would be, well, an improvement.

Reply/Quote
I expected higher scores for run blocking for C, RG and RT since they basically erased the left side of the Carolina defense all day.
Reply/Quote