Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFN Mock Draft w/trades
When the 5th overall selection rolled around Sewell and Chase were both off the board. Should this scenario present itself on draft day I did what I would like to see the Bengals do and that is trade down. I traded down a few times methodically a couple of slots at a time enabling myself to add selections in the second round and third round.

Round 1 - 11th overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.o_iQ-kTARCfyqmQavaAdRwHaEK&pid...=280&h=158]

Rashawn Slater - OL - Northwestern - 6'4" 315

The most versatile line prospect in this draft. Can play all five positions at an extremely high level. Ideally, I see him manning the center position for many years to come but has the ability to be inserted anywhere in a move to put your five best linemen on the field.

Round 2 - 38th overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.NJffPH9ULHtzeVh-ORkMQwHaE7&pid...=255&h=171]

Zaven Collins - LB - Tulsa - 6'4" 260

Absolutely complete defender at the LB position. Can cover, tackle, and rush the passer. Three down capability an strong at all facets of the game. The piece this defense has been missing for a long time.

Round 2 - 40th overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.WJiGOEDAhD7fnt7MRYDLhAHaD8&pid...=325&h=174]

Terrace Marshall Jr. - WR - LSU - 6'3" 200

We may have missed out on Chase but Marshall is no slouch and will provide Burrow with a weapon he has existing chemistry with. Marshall is a versatile receiver that can line up at any WR position and can run the entire route tree. Brings good hands, speed, and size.

Round 2 - 50th overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.mLguWnDtTR4n7wt_TWSCaQHaE8&pid...=272&h=182]

Liam Eichenberg - OT - Notre Dame - 6'6" 305

I know at this point many have been screaming for starting OT and we land that here with Eichenberg. Many pundits are calling him a day 1 plug and play starter at LT and that is the hope here. This would enable us to move Jonah Williams wherever needed to have 5 best linemen on the field.

Round 3 - 81st overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.SaVqTkzmZcPDP419LwNTfAHaEK&pid...=312&h=176]

Jackson Carman - OT - Clemson - 6'5" 335

Carman manned the left side for Clemson but I don't see him as athletic enough to hold that position in the NFL. In this selection I would like to see a long term solution at RT and at worst RG. I think you open up with him at RT a position I believe he will play very well at the NFL level. If he works out at RT that enables the move of Williams inside to one of the OG positions.

Round 3 - 84th overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.XBC83TvBFKtBo5mPMO8mNAHaEK&pid...=274&h=155]

Hunter Long - TE - Boston College - 6'5" 253

Long is an experienced and productive TE that was used actively in the Boston College offense. + route runner with outstanding hands and a very capable and willing blocker. Adds just one more reliable weapon for Burrow to exploit.

Round 4 - 111th overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.mDairI8Hyjr2E7548dH7AAHaE8&pid...=280&h=188]

Marlon Tuipuloto - DT - USC - 6'3" 305

Unfortunately, I believe Geno has reached the tail of his career and Marlon is going to ease the pain of it. Should be an outstanding pairing starting beside Reader. Marlon is a three down DT that is athletic and crafty. High motor player with excellent functional strength.

Round 6 - 192nd overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.A95GkMgTkawddfpTZlVwUQAAAA&pid...=211&h=163]

Kary Vincent Jr. - DB - LSU - 5'10" 189

A bit undersized but an explosive athlete with very good speed. Not many are going to out run him. Has some technical issues that are going to be cleaned up but the ceiling to become a good slot corner or transition to FS position.

Round 7 - 231st overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.zKtlpDwRr6Fou0c4Xg0kEgHaE8&pid...=250&h=167]

Jonathan Cooper - DE - Ohio State - 6'3" 254

Cooper played behind some outstanding defensive lineman at Ohio State. Will have to prove he can continue to grow at the NFL level but could hold value as a situational pass rusher to start his career.

Round 7 - 233rd overall selection:

[Image: th?id=OIP.Szv86jRIK4ShBByEJLIHSAHaEK&pid...=291&h=164]

Olaijah Griffin - CB - USC - 6'0" 175

If Griffin is here I really hope they select him as I believe he is one of the most underrated corners in this draft and I believe he has the potential to be a long time starter in this league. Has has some injury issues at USC that will need to be evaluated but if he clears the combine physical then I would not hesitate to gamble here.
Reply/Quote
Masterful trading for value in the 2nd and fantastic selection of players. So, I'm thinking that you are banking on the Bengals signing one of the premium Guards in free agency?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He'll uva draft!
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Masterful trading for value in the 2nd and fantastic selection of players.  So, I'm thinking that you are banking on the Bengals signing one of the premium Guards in free agency?

If that draft came true, which would be simply amazing, the O-line could be Williams, Carman (He'll be a great guard at the next level), Hopkins, Slater, Eichenberg.

If they manage to sign Thuney... Hopkins is out and Slater at C, and you have a wall that is going to be fun to watch. Creating holes for the running game and keeping Burrow upright.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 05:18 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If that draft came true, which would be simply amazing, the O-line could be Williams, Carman (He'll be a great guard at the next level), Hopkins, Slater, Eichenberg.

If they manage to sign Thuney... Hopkins is out and Slater at C, and you have a wall that is going to be fun to watch. Creating holes for the running game and keeping Burrow upright.

That'd be my thought too.
Carman, Slater, and Eichenberg should theoretically all be upgrades over what the Bengals currently have. If Thuney is signed, Slater to C.
If Carman falls to Rd 3, that's a steal.
The offense should be in much better shape with 3 new OL and 2 new pass catchers.

I still would feel the defense is not really improved from 2020 though.
Hoping for an immediate upgrade to defense until Day 3 is dangerous and probably unrealistic.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 05:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That'd be my thought too.
Carman, Slater, and Eichenberg should theoretically all be upgrades over what the Bengals currently have. If Thuney is signed, Slater to C.
The offense should be in much better shape with 3 new OL and 2 new pass catchers.

Hoping for an immediate upgrade to defense until Day 3 is dangerous and probably unrealistic.

Yeah, sadly with the shape of this roster we aren't going to be able to fix all the holes in one season.

If they just focus like the above draft on the offense, and protect Burrow at least the team will be fun to watch as it scores points.

Might steal a few shoot outs and be okay.

Then, following year, can go all in on defense and try to get over the hump.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

IMO I think his first 3 picks will be gone before we pick and Marshall isn't much faster than the WR's we have so I'd take someone else there. This whole perception of taking a WR that Burrow played with is a little exaggerated. Any GOOD wr will work and Burrow will get them the ball. I like guys with more speed and explosion over Marshall.

As always OSU appreciate the effort and thought into your Mocks:)
Reply/Quote

I agree that not putting wholesale picks into the defense is a bit alarming.  However, building the foundation of a juggernaut offense could actually benefit the defense.  Should DJ Reader remain healthy for an entire season, our young LB corps develop like they should, and our Safeties continue playing like they are capable, the defense might just be alright with retaining a couple of our own, like Lawson and Alexander, and adding a mid range FA addition or two.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that not putting wholesale picks into the defense is a bit alarming.  However, building the foundation of a juggernaut offense could actually benefit the defense.  Should DJ Reader remain healthy for an entire season, our young LB corps develop like they should, and our Safeties continue playing like they are capable, the defense might just be alright with retaining a couple of our own, like Lawson and Alexander, and adding a mid range FA addition or two.

Rome was not built in a day. Protecting Burrow I believe must be a priority. To answer your earlier question...while I would like to see a high profile guard I believe with a draft such as this that you do not have to. I would envision LT - Eichenberg * LG - Jonah Williams * C - Slater * RG - Hopkins or Adenji * RT - Carman.

I honestly do not feel the defense is as far off as many seem to see it. With a healthy Reader and Trae Waynes I think they are instantly more physical. I believe the young LBs are going to make a true difference and we really have not seen Bailey who I believe is going to be a draft steal. I think if they have a healthy interior of the D line with Reader, Daniels, and Wren with the addition of Marlon that they would be sitting pretty well on the interior. 

Getting Lawson back on a long term deal I believe has to be your free agency priority.

In this league you are going to have to score with the best of them and this O line with the addition of Marshall to an already really good receiving corp as well as a TE like Hunter Long then you are sitting in pretty darn good shape.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that not putting wholesale picks into the defense is a bit alarming.  However, building the foundation of a juggernaut offense could actually benefit the defense.  Should DJ Reader remain healthy for an entire season, our young LB corps develop like they should, and our Safeties continue playing like they are capable, the defense might just be alright with retaining a couple of our own, like Lawson and Alexander, and adding a mid range FA addition or two.

That's true.

If the offense can get good enough to score a lot of points and fast, it sets the defense up to better expect passing. That helps the pass rush and DBs especially.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:38 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Rome was not built in a day. Protecting Burrow I believe must be a priority. To answer your earlier question...while I would like to see a high profile guard I believe with a draft such as this that you do not have to. I would envision LT - Eichenberg * LG - Jonah Williams * C - Slater * RG - Hopkins or Adenji.

I honestly do not feel the defense is as far off as many seem to see it. With a healthy Reader and Trae Waynes I think they are instantly more physical. I believe the young LBs are going to make a true difference and we really have not seen Bailey who I believe is going to be a draft steal. I think if they have a healthy interior of the D line with Reader, Daniels, and Wren with the addition of Marlon that they would be sitting pretty well on the interior. 

Getting Lawson back on a long term deal I believe has to be your free agency priority.

In this league you are going to have to score with the best of them and this O line with the addition of Marshall to an already really good receiving corp as well as a TE like Hunter Long then you are sitting in pretty darn good shape.

While "Rome was not built in a day," there has to be some urgency to build your core. Otherwise, you'll continue to see some talented young prospects leaving with their contracts ending while you're bringing in more talent. You'll never get to a true contender if you don't look to really build in a 4-year window.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Wow, trading back seems really ideal if we could pull something like this off. Slater, Eichenberg and Carman? Shocked

Still think we need a pass rusher early. Really like Collins but would rather have an End like Basham there.

Probably my only critique other then that, great mock. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While "Rome was not built in a day," there has to be some urgency to build your core. Otherwise, you'll continue to see some talented young prospects leaving with their contracts ending while you're bringing in more talent. You'll never get to a true contender if you don't look to really build in a 4-year window.

No disagreement. I believe the core of this defense right now and the near future should be Lawson, Hubbard, Reader, Logan Wilson, Pratt, and and Jessie Bates. I believe an up and comer to that core will be Marcus Bailey. So with that in mind adding key defensive pieces to it such as Marlon, Collins, and Griffin is ideal.

People are reading much from a defense that never saw the defense assembled in the off-season on the field. Not one time did that defense see the field so I believe we have some panic that is not rooted in fact. I may be in a minority but I personally am excited about seeing what Lou puts on the field and that he is not committed to a 4-3 or a 3-4 but rather a hybrid that is capable of changing depending on situation and opponent.
Reply/Quote