Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFT - AJ Green enjoying life with an offensive-minded head coach
Just saw this article on PFT this morning...
https://sports.yahoo.com/j-green-enjoying-life-offensive-121411114.html

AJ Green talks about he's really excited to play for an offensive-minded HC. There's also this tidbit that is interesting...
Quote:“Playing with coach Lewis, it’s all about the defense,” Green said. “You don’t show up the defense at practice. But Zac is like, ‘OTA one, we’re going to kick the defense’s butt.’ That’s what we like to hear. I love the way he teaches. He’s not yelling at you, he’s teaching every little detail and having you understand why we run it this way.”
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw this article on PFT this morning...

AJ Green talks about he's really excited to play for an offensive-minded HC. There's also this tidbit that is interesting...

That is interesting, to say Marv didn't want our Offense to show up the Defense is strange.

You would think he would want this to happen so they could learn from it.
Reply/Quote
Our defense will likely be bad again this year unless we fix the LB position.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is interesting, to say Marv didn't want our Offense to show up the Defense is strange.

Wouldn't have taken much effort last year to show them up.   Ninja

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw this article on PFT this morning...

Great to see AJ so excited about Taylor and his approach.

Also, one thing I've noticed...whether it's been comments by coaches or players, is the focus / emphasis the new staff seems to be putting on the 'teaching' aspect. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our defense will likely be bad again this year unless we fix the LB position.

If Brown goes down again due to injury the backer position is in trouble.  They need to bring in a vet from off the streets.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Why not bring in Hodge from Buf as UDFA?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Great to see AJ excited about Taylor and his approach.

Also, one thing I've noticed...whether it's been comments by coaches or players, is the focus / emphasis the new staff seems to be putting on the 'teaching' aspect. 

Excellent point! I hope this means coaches and players are on the same page. So frustrating to hear during week 6 players say, "for some reason we are not gelling or we are not on the same page". I really like the approach Taylor is taking.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:42 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Wouldn't have taken much effort last year to show them up.   Ninja

No doubt, they sure got showed up a lot from other teams, more than anyone.

(05-02-2019, 01:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Great to see AJ excited about Taylor and his approach.

Love this stuff.

(05-02-2019, 01:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Brown goes down again due to injury the backer position is in trouble.  They need to bring in a vet from off the streets.  

Yes, need another vet for sure. Collins, Zac Brown, Derron Lee or Bostic.

(05-02-2019, 01:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Why not bring in Hodge from Buf as UDFA?

Is he still around? Would like this as well.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is interesting, to say Marv didn't want our Offense to show up the Defense is strange.

It's just Marvin's mindset of defense wins championships.  

Marvin also didn't understand the confidence teams need to win, which was clear by his lack of motivational ability over the past 15 years.  

I'm pumped about this because AJ with confidence is dangerous!  I feel like this will have our entire offense on another level!  Let's just hope that our line can perform!
(05-02-2019, 01:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our defense will likely be bad again this year unless we fix the LB position.

Drafting Pratt was huge and then I think we just need one or two decent free agents because defense is won by defensive backs and defensive linemen now.  The linebacker position has less value besides for covering tight ends and backs (and obviously zone), which Pratt does well.
Reply/Quote
From my understanding K Hodge still out there. I thought he would go in round 6.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Marvin was delusional and not meant to be a head coach. End of story.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:36 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Marvin was delusional and not meant to be a head coach. End of story.

FredToast response in 3...2..1.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:36 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Marvin was delusional and not meant to be a head coach. End of story.

I mean it is quite funny all the hate Marvin gets and all the love ZT gets.

Marvin came into a team that was perennially a 2-4 win team, with 8 wins being a high water mark. That team had largely the same management structure and Marvin made the team respectable. Atleast making the playoffs 7 times, when his predecessors made them 0 times under MB's ownership.

ZT was a middling OC at U of Cincy. Then he was assistant WR coach for the Rams for 1 year. Then he was QB coach last year. And people act like it's a slam dunk that the inexperienced staff he's bringing in is going to work magic with guys like Malik Jefferson, etc. Sure - there's a chance they do.

People act like Marvin was the absolute worst coach ever in football. During the regular season, that's simply not the case and one has to wonder IF he was the HC of a team that actually used free agency to do major upgrades how he would have fared.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's just Marvin's mindset of defense wins championships.  

Marvin also didn't understand the confidence teams need to win, which was clear by his lack of motivational ability over the past 15 years.  

I'm pumped about this because AJ with confidence is dangerous!  I feel like this will have our entire offense on another level!  Let's just hope that our line can perform!

The team sure looked stale under Marv that is for sure. Lot of excitement is what i am seeing and hearing now. Always thought Marv stuck his nose in the Offense far too much, this lends credence to that. I always said he should stick to what he knows best, too bad he didn't know that Austin didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Marv didn't know what he didn't know what he didn't know...
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I mean it is quite funny all the hate Marvin gets and all the love ZT gets.

Marvin came into a team that was perennially a 2-4 win team, with 8 wins being a high water mark. That team had largely the same management structure and Marvin made the team respectable. Atleast making the playoffs 7 times, when his predecessors made them 0 times under MB's ownership.

ZT was a middling OC at U of Cincy. Then he was assistant WR coach for the Rams for 1 year. Then he was QB coach last year. And people act like it's a slam dunk that the inexperienced staff he's bringing in is going to work magic with guys like Malik Jefferson, etc. Sure - there's a chance they do.

People act like Marvin was the absolute worst coach ever in football. During the regular season, that's simply not the case and one has to wonder IF he was the HC of a team that actually used free agency to do major upgrades how he would have fared.

Don't forget interim OC for MIA but not being retained beyond that season.

Marvin does get hounded more than he deserves, but the thing about the offense not showing up the defense is puzzling. Perhaps it was stated incorrectly, but if true, it does give off the impression that Marvin didn't want the offense (or whole team) going full-speed in practice. And the worry is not going full-speed in practice could translate into poorer performance on game day.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I mean it is quite funny all the hate Marvin gets and all the love ZT gets.

It is quite funny to me how we cannot give our new HC love for the moves he makes and the way the team is responding to him after our last HC went to the Playoffs that many times and we never won, not once under under Marvin Lewis, 0-7.

Marvin may not of been the absolute worst coach ever in football in the regular season, actually he was pretty good in the regular season. But he was the absolute worst coach ever in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote

I can understand the statement to a degree.. Offense has a much greater advantage in OTA's etc.. so at times yes, the offense needs to pull back so coaches to run defense a bit better and I would say if it was the opposite a offense minded coach does that same.. for example DL is killing OL in OTA and QB not able to execute well.. there are times Coaches will pull the other side of the ball back.. I never coached at NFL but high enough to at least understand what Marvin did at times also... but does sound like a more aggressive design that hopefully will be a positive for us. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 03:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I can understand the statement to a degree.. Offense has a much greater advantage in OTA's etc.. so at times yes, the offense needs to pull back so coaches to run defense a bit better and I would say if it was the opposite a offense minded coach does that same.. for example DL is killing OL in OTA and QB not able to execute well.. there are times Coaches will pull the other side of the ball back.. I never coached at NFL but high enough to at least understand what Marvin did at times also... but does sound like a more aggressive design that hopefully will be a positive for us. 

Yeah, there are always exceptions, i understand your points here Essex.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 03:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I can understand the statement to a degree.. Offense has a much greater advantage in OTA's etc.. so at times yes, the offense needs to pull back so coaches to run defense a bit better and I would say if it was the opposite a offense minded coach does that same.. for example DL is killing OL in OTA and QB not able to execute well.. there are times Coaches will pull the other side of the ball back.. I never coached at NFL but high enough to at least understand what Marvin did at times also... but does sound like a more aggressive design that hopefully will be a positive for us. 

The article didn't explicitly state that Marvin only wanted the offense to hold back only in OTAs. Because it wasn't, I interpreted it as being the case more than just in OTAs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote