Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFT - AJ Green enjoying life with an offensive-minded head coach
(05-03-2019, 01:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think Turner has a similar mindset to Pollack and he'll have more talent, so I'm optimistic that we'll see continued improvement even without Pollack.

I just think it's funny that we waited 20+ years to get a new o-line coach, we get someone promising and he's gone after 1 year. 

I might be wrong, but I believe Pollack actually was the one that decided to leave according to the team website, maybe I am imagining it. I agree that the line was better than 2017 and Pollack actually did well with what he had been given. For some reason he saw the fit with ZT wasn't going to work or what was said behind closed doors isn't close to what Haircut Hobby reported.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:32 AM)Benton Wrote: He was probably trying to protect some egos and keep things calm. 

I think there's something to be said there. If you all recall early in Marvin's tenure he had some divas who were great players, but the side show antics probably grated at him. Chad probably grated at him more than he would probably ever admit and nobody can ever deny Chad was pretty much an ego maniac. He was a great player no doubt, but his ego often got the better of him and by extension Marvin.
In the end it probably played against Marvin at some subconscious level and resulted in our best players getting throttled so they couldn't become divas under his watch..
That subconscious stuff is pretty pervasive and tough to pin down. I think it played a huge part in Marvin's downfall. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:32 AM)Benton Wrote: He was probably trying to protect some egos and keep things calm. 

Geez, don't like that either, man up or go home!

(05-03-2019, 01:38 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I mean, I'm not thinking we're going to the Super Bowl in year 1 or anything, but I'm also digging the change.  He is saying a lot of right things, the draft looks like a good one with a plan to target character players, we'll just have to wait and see if the talk matches the walk.

Basically, most everyone here had grown tired of Marvin and said we needed change.  We got it.....and not only did we get it, we got a young guy with fresh ideas and an offensive mentality.  The exact opposite of what we had.  I'm just willing to let it play out and see what we have before I criticize the guy.....and I'm liking the changes he has made thus far.  It's a breath of fresh air.  If we say that Marvin was holding the team back, then we gotta believe that Zac will help push it to do better.  I think this is a club that could win up to 10 games.  I honestly don't think we'll have a losing record unless we get another IR fest, or I'm completely wrong about Zac Taylor.  If I am wrong, so were several among league circles and pundits.

Great post Wyche, the biggest thing that has stood out to me in listening to Taylor talk is how he is creating a new culture.

He outright says that he is, love that open honest talk.

This is precisely what all of us that have been Bengals fans forever have said has been the problem around here. It isn't the players but having a mentality of mediocrity that has been imbedded in the culture around here. It is gone with Taylor and it is a new day without the staleness that was set in under MB and Marv.

Smells fresh around here for once. Some still have the Marv stink in their nose though lol
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:40 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I wish pollack had stayed.  Much prefer him over turner.  Didn’t pollack choose to leave to pursue other openings or was he quietly shown the door because zac wanted someone else?

From everything I read, it was Pollack's choice to leave. That said, that could be what they told the pubic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote