Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PI calls get reviewable.
Also, non-calls. And 31 teams voted in favor of this. Only the Bengals did not.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not, though the Saints-Rams game makes for a strong argument. I also wonder why the Bengals of all teams broke the unity on that one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 10:29 PM)hollodero Wrote: Also, non-calls. And 31 teams voted in favor of this. Only the Bengals did not.

I also wonder why the Bengals of all teams broke the unity on that one.

Dre K.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 10:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dre K.

This got a good laugh out of me. Props.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 10:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dre K.

Yeah that was an initial impulse of mine as well.

@topic, I still am unsure how to feel about making judgment calls reviewable. I guess this new rule will lead to many discussions after the fact.
Reply/Quote
TBH I'm not sure I like this idea. I think it's mostly a knee-jerk reaction that in the long run will do more harm to the watchability of games than good.

...and it's not like a coach can challenge any of these in the final two minutes of a half anyways.
Reply/Quote
Why they won't agree to guarantee every team at least one possession in overtime, I will never understand.
Reply/Quote
Every questionable PI will go in favor of the offense; also PI is like holding you can call it on every contested catch. There is going to be a ton of ticky tack PIs this year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 11:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Every questionable PI will go in favor of the offense; also PI is like holding you can call it on every contested catch. There is going to be a ton of ticky tack PIs this year.

It's gonna be a nightmare.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Actually I suspect it will result in some of the more egregious PI calls being overturned.
Reply/Quote
I wonder why the Bengals were the ONLY TEAM to vote against this?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 12:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder why the Bengals were the ONLY TEAM to vote against this?

Mike hates is replay
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 12:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder why the Bengals were the ONLY TEAM to vote against this?

Mike Brown often votes against giving refs more control over football games. This new rule gives replay officials more power to pick and choose PIs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
On one hand I hate it, but then after seeing the blatant PI in the Saints/Rams Champioship game.....it's needed. That was a Championship game......should have had the best of the best refs. Heck it was 3 penalties in one, or at least 2 easy penaltys to call. They just need less bs rules and better refs but that won't happen.

This is the NFL scrambling to stop the bleeding. Goodwill has ruined this game. I love this sport but it would not surprise me one bit if I out live it. Hell im 45, smoke and eating chocolate ice cream straight from the carton as I type this.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 12:34 AM)TKUHL Wrote: On one hand I hate it, but then after seeing the blatant PI in the Saints/Rams Champioship game.....it's needed. That was a Championship game......should have had the best of the best refs. Heck it was 3 penalties in one, or at least 2 easy penaltys to call. They just need less bs rules and better refs but that won't happen.

This is the NFL scrambling to stop the bleeding. Goodwill has ruined this game. I love this sport but it would not surprise me one bit if I out live it. Hell im 45, smoke and eating chocolate ice cream straight from the carton as I type this.

I think they do have quality Refs, we don;t realize the real speed of a play because most of us are seeing it isolated on TV and not on the field, even in the stands we still don;t get the real picture of being on the field.. and even with replay we still can;t always determine the call.

I am not a big fan of replay especially such judgement calls as interference but at least the coaches still only have two flags on replay.. thank god
Reply/Quote
Eh, it's worth trying out. Let's see how much impact it ultimately has on the length of games.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 07:15 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think they do have quality Refs, we don;t realize the real speed of a play because most of us are seeing it isolated on TV and not on the field, even in the stands we still don;t get the real picture of being on the field.. and even with replay we still can;t always determine the call.

I am not a big fan of replay especially such judgement calls as interference but at least the coaches still only have two flags on replay.. thank god

I disagree with the quality refs part. I've been saying for years the refs in the NFL are too old. I mean the average age has to be 60+ years old. The speed of the game is too much. There needs to be a push to get younger officials on the field. That certainly won't make every call right, but I think it would help.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 11:56 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually I suspect it will result in some of the more egregious PI calls being overturned.

I had to look this word up.

As for the new rule, it is going to make games longer as I suspect almost every closely defended pass play will end up being reviewed.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 07:44 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I had to look this word up.

As for the new rule, it is going to make games longer as I suspect almost every closely defended pass play will end up being reviewed.

The number of challenges will stay the same though and booth reviews will only take place in the last minutes, like now. So there's hardly the potential to review every second play.
Reply/Quote
Everyone forgets instant reply was started to get “it” right. The pretext was eliminate controversies around getting the call wrong. Fast forward to a decade later and nothing has changed. I believe there is more controversies. Also one aspect why the officiating is so poor is I believe the officials are to reliant on reply and they get complacent. I believe instant reply has ruined all sports. I hate it in football as well as baseball. It is a momentum killer and it is hard to sit through listening to the pundits bloviate about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Offensive PI would be review able as well...like the pick play against by the Steelers that lost us the game.

In general I like the move as coaches still only have a limited number of challenges so if they use them up on tough to overturn judgment calls then they will suffer consequences later. I think when guys get hit with bad PI that result in 50 yard penalties knowing that can be corrected is a game changer.
Reply/Quote