Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PK and Millz Rank the Oline
IF you listen to Sirius NFL Radio you know that Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller rank every position group. Today was Oline AFC North day.

How they score (max):

LT: 5
LG:3
C:4
RG:3
RT:3
Interior Depth; 1
Exterior Depth: 1

How did we do?

LT: OB got a 4. The knock was penalties and inconsistency. The plus was pass defense.
LG: CV got a 2. The knock was 5 sacks and 13 QB hits. The plus was no penalties and "hanging in there" as a rookie
C: TK got 3: The knock was 3 sacks (although it doesn't sound like much apparently it's high for a C) The plus: "True Professional"
RG: AC got 3: Only player to get max
RT: JW got 2. They are not fans of JW moving to RT, Pointed to 13 sacks surrendered and no experience at RT
Backups: Got a max of 2 and really love our depth. mentioned LC, JC, and Ford. Opined on if the score would have been higher if JC was listed as RT#1 and JW should be the swing T

16 out of 20.
They mentioned many teams keep 7-8 olinemen on the 53 and we kept 10 last year. Stated we have 1 lineman to spare (aka trade) and they said it should be JW,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
These numbers match my eye test. Personally i wouldn’t give points for “hanging in there” or age.

The scale is the scale.

To me if LGs can get a max score of 3 I’d have to grade him a 1 only because i don’t believe in giving 1/2 scores. To me he was closer to a 1 than he was to a 3 so yeah that’s my reasoning.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 09:39 PM)Housh Wrote: These numbers match my eye test. Personally i wouldn’t  give points for “hanging in there” or age.

The scale is the scale.

To me if LGs can get a max score of 3 I’d have to grade him a 1 only because i don’t believe in giving 1/2 scores. To me he was closer to a 1 than he was to a 3 so yeah that’s my reasoning.

They originally gave CV a 3 out of 3. They were VERY impressed about a rookie committing 0 penalties while playing 100% of the Offensive snaps. Then they asserted they could not give a 3 out of 3 for a player who gave up 5 sacks and 13 QB hits.

I know I've been critical of CV's play in other threads, but we'll see. PK and Milz dig him...now Jonah Williams, not so much. 

Reply/Quote
It says C max is 4...TK got a 4 but then you state that AC got the only perfect score...care to elaborate?
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 10:13 PM)spazz70 Wrote: It says C max is 4...TK got a 4 but then you state that AC got the only perfect score...care to elaborate?

Typo on my part. TK got a 3. So 4+2+3+3+2+2=16

They also "dinged" TK for being on 3 teams in 3 years.

Reply/Quote
Nice to see Cappa recognized as a top guard.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 10:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They originally gave CV a 3 out of 3. They were VERY impressed about a rookie committing 0 penalties while playing 100% of the Offensive snaps. Then they asserted they could not give a 3 out of 3 for a player who gave up 5 sacks and 13 QB hits.

I know I've been critical of CV's play in other threads, but we'll see. PK and Milz dig him...now Jonah Williams, not so much. 

Yeah and just for the record my score doesn’t mean he’s ass

A scale of 0, 1, 2 or 3 just doesn’t leave my room. He sure as shit wasn’t a zero. But he also wasn’t a 3. 2 to me means he was a little above average and to me he wasn’t
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 10:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nice to see Cappa recognized as a top guard.

Eye test corroborates this

When we played the teams with elite pass rushers later in the season they did nothing . That’s all Cappa and Collins and Burrow was also just a better QB later in the season. At one point you could only pick him off on a tip
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IF you listen to Sirius NFL Radio you know that Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller rank every position group. Today was Oline AFC North day.

How they score (max):

Interior Depth; 1

How did we do?

LT: OB got a 4. The knock was penalties and inconsistency. The plus was pass defense.
LG: CV got a 2. The knock was 5 sacks and 13 QB hits. The plus was no penalties and "hanging in there" as a rookie
C: TK got 3: The knock was 3 sacks (although it doesn't sound like much apparently it's high for a C) The plus: "True Professional"
RT: JW got 2. They are not fans of JW moving to RT, Pointed to 13 sacks surrendered and no experience at RT
Backups: Got a max of 2 and really love our depth. mentioned LC, JC, and Ford. Opined on if the score would have been higher if JC was listed as RT#1 and JW should be the swing T

16 out of 20.
They mentioned many teams keep 7-8 olinemen on the 53 and we kept 10 last year. Stated we have 1 lineman to spare (aka trade) and they said it should be JW,

Good info.  I think these guys say some stupid things at times, such as; stating we would be higher if JC was starting RT after dinging Jonah for no experience at RT.  At least Jonah has played RT and Carman never has, along with fully admitting he had trouble on the right side playing guard. 

With LC still injured and Carman being the only viable starter at RT, trading JW would again be stupid unless we received a fantastic offer AND Jackson has improved tremendously.  

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IF you listen to Sirius NFL Radio you know that Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller rank every position group. Today was Oline AFC North day.

How they score (max):

Interior Depth; 1

How did we do?

16 out of 20.

(Waits silently for the backlash)
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: (Waits silently for the backlash)

Yeah, we're about to hear all about how Miller and Kirwin know nothing about football, Volson sucks, yada yada yada....
Reply/Quote
16 is a pretty fair grade. I was listening to them doing the AFCE the other day, and I think that they said a team with 17 was looking at top 5. So, while not outstandingly good, the OL may be viewed by some as better than what some of us perceive it to be.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 16 is a pretty fair grade.  I was listening to them doing the AFCE the other day, and I think that they said a team with 17 was looking at top 5.  So, while not outstandingly good, the OL may be viewed by some as better than what some of us perceive it to be.

I sure hope it's better, much better.

We've just been so shell shocked from all the Oline woes over the past several years. Seems like we're due to finally have a good Oline.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope it's better, much better.

We've just been so shell shocked from all the Oline woes over the past several years. Seems like we're due to finally have a good Oline.

I agree, and I also believe that if they come out and establish their identity early this year, they could even become a dominate force.  By "establish their identity", I mean abandon those fruitless attempts at pretending to be a Wide Zone run blocking unit.  Just allow them to lean on opposing front sevens with Power Gap and execute some precise Pin and Pulls.  Doing that should allow Pass Protection to operate a little more smoothly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, and I also believe that if they come out and establish their identity early this year, they could even become a dominate force.  By "establish their identity", I mean abandon those fruitless attempts at pretending to be a Wide Zone run blocking unit.  Just allow them to lean on opposing front sevens with Power Gap and execute some precise Pin and Pulls.  Doing that should allow Pass Protection to operate a little more smoothly.

That was biggest issue with the offense and coaches last year. At the beginning of the year the team had no offensive identity which is wild considering they just came off a super bowl appearance with the same coaching staff. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

How they score (max):

Interior Depth; 1

How did we do?

16 out of 20.

I love what JC showed in the playoffs and wouldn’t be surprised if he wins the RT job. Given inevitable injuries Bengals could be traders for JW as they need draft picks. Stock piling picks is important with players who won’t be around for long.
Reply/Quote
Not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe lol but just the same here goes. The continuity has to be better as Karras said.
https://clutchpoints.com/bengals-news-ted-karras-puts-afc-north-on-notice-strong-take-cincinnati-offense
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 11:46 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I love what JC showed in the playoffs and wouldn’t be surprised if he wins the RT job. Given inevitable injuries Bengals could be traders for JW as they need draft picks. Stock piling picks is important with players who won’t be around for long.

That seems to be popular here, I would be shocked.

With LC hurt, Jonah is the only starter we have, any trade must be at least a 2nd rounder I would guess.  The oline has kept us from a SB trophy 2 years in a row, not sure how it makes sense to trade Jonah unless the deal is great AND Carman has become waay better or LC miraculously becomes healthy.

Reply/Quote
JC isn’t beating out Jonah

I’d put ALOT of money

JC is gonna have to stay ready because he’s 1st lineman off the bench for every position but C and RG
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 08:40 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, we're about to hear all about how Miller and Kirwin know nothing about football, Volson sucks, yada yada yada....

What i'm waiting to hear, is about the guys around here going to the doctor and getting their sore vageens tended to because they're so hurt someone said something negative about their poor Cordell bb. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote