Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POTUS UN Speech
(09-20-2017, 06:24 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: The hysteria around Trump calling Kim "Rocket Man" is hysterical. One minute people are saying North Korea isn't crazy enough to attack us because they know we'd destroy them. The next minute North Korea might attack us because Trump called him Rocket Man. 

Calling the reaction hysteria is hysteria.
"(radio static).... 'Rocket Man'?..... This is 'Tiny Dancer'..... Do you copy?....Over...."
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-20-2017, 08:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And you literally just justified Trump's response to North Korean rhetoric without realizing it.  Thank you for making my point for me, it's most kind of you.

Which will justify Kim's response which will justify Trump's response which will justify Kim's response which will justify Trump's response. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Quote:Calm yourself.  I point out the hysteria over Trump, I am not a Trump fan nor am I sensitive, much less hypersensitive, to criticism of him.  I do enjoy pointing out the pants wetting hysteria that you and your ilk engage in over the man.

My original response was to think to myself, "Jesus ***** Christ" which you have elevated to "pants wetting hysteria." And because I thought the comment was inappropriate for a presidential speech at the UN you believe I'm part of an "ilk."

But, you're not sensitive, let alone hypersensitive to Trump criticism? LMAO Believing "Jesus ***** Christ" is pants wetting hysteria is pretty much the definition of hypersensitivity.

Quote:Hyperbole coupled with insincerity is a unappealing synergy.

And passive aggressive insults to other's intelligence cloaked as a vocabulary lesson, plus hyperbole, plus more insults is what exactly?

What's more you won't even admit the pants wetting hysteria of my ilk thinking to myself, "Jesus ***** Christ" bothers you. It doesn't bother you so much you called it pants wetting hysteria and called me ilk. At least be honest with yourself.
(09-20-2017, 06:32 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't think anyone is really worried that Kim would reach for the button because of a single speech.  But it could very well lead him to the next stage of escalation, though. And our response to his response might bring us to a hot war. 

What bothers people the most about Trump's rhetoric is the poor judgment it shows, an inability to understand how he sounds to both friend and foe, and what that means for his foreign policy "vision."

It also means that people in-house with better judgment still can't really contain him. 

I personally feel that a hot war will come about only when North Korea has established itself as a nuclear power and only because of that. I believe it is a huge mistake to think that what North Korea is doing is part of a defensive effort. Trump isnt escalating anything in my mind because North Korea already knows what they want to do, they just can't do it yet because their nuclear arsenal is lacking as a deterence to "US Imperialism". 
(09-20-2017, 09:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Which will justify Kim's response which will justify Trump's response which will justify Kim's response which will justify Trump's response. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Please spare us the sidestepping.  You inadvertently provided an excuse for Trump's bellicosity, own it like a man.

Quote:My original response was to think to myself, "Jesus ***** Christ" which you have elevated to "pants wetting hysteria."  And because I thought the comment was inappropriate for a presidential speech at the UN you believe I'm part of an "ilk."

I'm not speaking of this incident in a vacuum.  Trump's every move is met with, "fascist", "white supremacist", "xenophobic bigot", etc.  It gets old, especially when what it is really saying, in almost every instance, is that his politics differ from mine.

Quote:But, you're not sensitive, let alone hypersensitive to Trump criticism?  LMAO Believing "Jesus ***** Christ" is pants wetting hysteria is pretty much the definition of hypersensitivity.

Again, calm yourself and stop projecting.  You and you ilk overreact, I comment on your overreaction.  It's literally that simple.

Quote:And passive aggressive insults to other's intelligence cloaked as a vocabulary lesson, plus hyperbole, plus more insults is what exactly?

I suppose if you consider that a vocabulary lesson then I can understand your perceiving that as an attack on your intelligence.  I was just using words in the English language that adequately convey my thoughts on this subject.  Sorry, I can't be responsible for your perceptions.

Quote:What's more you won't even admit the pants wetting hysteria of my ilk thinking to myself, "Jesus ***** Christ" bothers you. It doesn't bother you so much you called it pants wetting hysteria and called me ilk. At least be honest with yourself.

It bothers me sure, just not in the way you accuse.  I dislike hyperbolic hysteria, no matter which side of the aisle it emanates from.  During the Obama years I called out right leaning hysteria, I am now calling out left leaning hysteria.  I am quite consistent, you just dislike my consistency because it is now focused on your ideology.  Sorry, again, I can't be responsible for your perceptions.
(09-20-2017, 04:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Could be that some people don't like their country being the laughing stock of the rest of the western world.

Your right we didn't like when obama was bowing all around the world and leading from behind.
(09-20-2017, 10:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Please spare us the sidestepping.  You inadvertently provided an excuse for Trump's bellicosity, own it like a man.

I'm not speaking of this incident in a vacuum.  Trump's every move is met with, "fascist", "white supremacist", "xenophobic bigot", etc.  It gets old, especially when what it is really saying, in almost every instance, is that his politics differ from mine.

Again, calm yourself and stop projecting.  You and you ilk overreact, I comment on your overreaction.  It's literally that simple.

I suppose if you consider that a vocabulary lesson then I can understand your perceiving that as an attack on your intelligence.  I was just using words in the English language that adequately convey my thoughts on this subject.  Sorry, I can't be responsible for your perceptions.

It bothers me sure, just not in the way you accuse.  I dislike hyperbolic hysteria, no matter which side of the aisle it emanates from.  During the Obama years I called out right leaning hysteria, I am now calling out left leaning hysteria.  I am quite consistent, you just dislike my consistency because it is now focused on your ideology.  Sorry, again, I can't be responsible for your perceptions.

And according to you, saying "Jesus ***** Christ" silently to myself is pants wetting hysteria and makes me a card carrying member of some ilk. Yet, inexplicably you're going to sit there and claim you're pointing out hyperbolic hysteria while actively engaged in hyperbolic hysteria in response to literally three words I didn't say out loud. And I'm the one who needs to calm myself?
(09-20-2017, 06:32 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't think anyone is really worried that Kim would reach for the button because of a single speech.  But it could very well lead him to the next stage of escalation, though. And our response to his response might bring us to a hot war. 

What bothers people the most about Trump's rhetoric is the poor judgment it shows, an inability to understand how he sounds to both friend and foe, and what that means for his foreign policy "vision."

It also means that people in-house with better judgment still can't really contain him. 

He's been escalating for several years.  Well before Trump was President.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-20-2017, 10:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Your right we didn't like when obama was bowing all around the world and leading from behind.

So Trump bows and just makes it so we don't lead anymore, and that's better?
(09-21-2017, 10:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So Trump bows and just makes it so we don't lead anymore, and that's better?

You are upset because he called the leader of North Korea rocket man.

Is this really anything that is worth being upset about? Or is this just some anti trump stuff?

I had to ask myself this question a lot during the obama years and sometimes I found it wasn't a big deal.
(09-21-2017, 10:44 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are upset because he called the leader of North Korea rocket man.

Is this really anything that is worth being upset about? Or is this just some anti trump stuff?

I had to ask myself this question a lot during the obama years and sometimes I found it wasn't a big deal.

Actually, my comment about him making us no longer a leader has nothing to do with the Rocket Man comment, but his overall failures in the realm of foreign affairs. The Rocket Man comment is just an example of his inappropriate behavior that plays well with his base but reflects poorly on us. While I don't like it, I've been unhappy with his performance regarding foreign affairs from the outset due to his treatment of the State Department and his behavior with other world leaders in pretty much every instance where he interacts with them.

He doesn't know how to behave as a statesman. Point blank. But his policy is really why I have an issue, because if he was acting this bad but had a diplomatic corps in place like we usually have, it wouldn't be an issue. But he has neglected that, which is a policy decision, and we suffer as a result.

It's just more fun to mock him for the superficial because most people don't understand policy enough to grasp the underlying issues for my concerns.
(09-21-2017, 10:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Actually, my comment about him making us no longer a leader has nothing to do with the Rocket Man comment, but his overall failures in the realm of foreign affairs. The Rocket Man comment is just an example of his inappropriate behavior that plays well with his base but reflects poorly on us. While I don't like it, I've been unhappy with his performance regarding foreign affairs from the outset due to his treatment of the State Department and his behavior with other world leaders in pretty much every instance where he interacts with them.

He doesn't know how to behave as a statesman outside of a lockerroom. Point blank. But his policy is really why I have an issue, because if he was acting this bad but had a diplomatic corps in place like we usually have, it wouldn't be an issue. But he has neglected that, which is a policy decision, and we suffer as a result.

It's just more fun to mock him for the superficial because most people don't understand policy enough to grasp the underlying issues for my concerns.

Had to fix that one part.   Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-21-2017, 10:44 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are upset because he called the leader of North Korea rocket man.

LOL

Believing a childish insult included in a speech given at the UN is inappropriate is not the same thing as being upset. That's a deliberate distortion. Some might call it hyperbolic hysteria. The same way some claim just the act of thinking three words silently to one's self so no one else can hear is pants wetting hysteria.
(09-20-2017, 05:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well one was in an interview and one was in the first speech by the current POTUS to the UN.

Oh, so it's okay to say something un-presidential as long as it's during an interview that millions of people will see/hear/read but not in a speech that millions of people will see/hear/read. Got it. ThumbsUp

(09-20-2017, 05:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I'd say there's a slight difference in my opinion.

Of course you'd say that. This is what anyone would say who is defending their guy from the very thing or something similar they're complaing the other guy did.

(09-20-2017, 05:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: But then I'd also say I bet the right made a huge deal over what Obama said too. 

I don't remember, but it wouldn't surprise me if true.
(09-20-2017, 05:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well one was in an interview and one was in the first speech by the current POTUS to the UN.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/sep/07/barack-obama/what-obama-said-about-islamic-state-jv-team/

So I'd say there's a slight difference in my opinion.

But then I'd also say I bet the right made a huge deal over what Obama said too. 

Well for one of those who believes that Trump's calling him Rocket Man could cause him to escalate, would you also think that calling ISIS the JV team could cause them to escalate?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-21-2017, 11:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Oh, so it's okay to say something un-presidential as long as it's during an interview that millions of people will see/hear/read but not in a speech that millions of people will see/hear/read. Got it. ThumbsUp

It's ok in the context of having a conversation during an interview and trying explain versus a tweet and using it in a speech that was pre-written and read before the UN. Yes.

(09-21-2017, 11:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Of course you'd say that. This is what anyone would say who is defending their guy from the very thing or something similar they're complaing the other guy did.

Which exactly the response I would expect when someone wanted to defend Trump. There is a difference between the two. The entirety of their work should be looked at too.

Trump is simple minded and does simple minded things. That bothers people who want the POTUS to seem, well, Presidential.

(09-21-2017, 11:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't remember, but it wouldn't surprise me if true.

ThumbsUp
(09-21-2017, 11:59 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well for one of those who believes that Trump's calling him Rocket Man could cause him to escalate, would you also think that calling ISIS the JV team could cause them to escalate?

Quite possibly, yes. That was a stupid thing to say.

Since this is a football message board, it not much different than coaches using the opposing team's comments as locker room material to fire up their own team.
(09-21-2017, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's ok in the context of having a conversation during an interview and trying explain versus a tweet and using it in a speech that was pre-written and read before the UN.  Yes.
Cool. So, if I decided because it was reeeeeeeeeeally slow at work to go back through all your posts, I won't ever find you criticizing Trump for something unpresidential he said in an interview?
Fret not. I'm not going to. Suffice it to say, you're being a hypocrite in this case and no amount of "explanation" by you is going to change that.
(09-21-2017, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Which exactly the response I would expect when someone wanted to defend Trump.  There is a difference between the two.  The entirety of their work should be looked at too.

Except I'm not defending Trump. I've not said one thing about this particular topic so trying to excuse your hypocrisy by trying to call me one isn't going to fly here.
And, if you'd like, my opinion is that I agree that it was unpresidential and he shouldn't have said "Rocket Man".
Calling ISIS the JV squad was asinine, but it isn't comparable. ISIS is not a sovereign nation. It was, and still is, a terrorist network. While calling them that was juvenile, it doesn't hinder diplomatic relations in the same way as comments directed at another world leader.

This is also to say that the idea the comments cause an escalation is asinine. I am mostly speaking about decorum and diplomacy.
(09-21-2017, 12:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Cool. So, if I decided because it was reeeeeeeeeeally slow at work to go back through all your posts, I won't ever find you criticizing Trump for something unpresidential he said in an interview?
Fret not. I'm not going to. Suffice it to say, you're being a hypocrite in this case and no amount of "explanation" by you is going to change that.

Except I'm not defending Trump. I've not said one thing about this particular topic so trying to excuse your hypocrisy by trying to call me one isn't going to fly here.
And, if you'd like, my opinion is that I agree that it was unpresidential and he shouldn't have said "Rocket Man".

I'm sure I have.  I've made it perfectly clear I have 1% respect for Trump the "man" and believe he is completely out of his element to teven think he can run the country.  He's a small minded fool with a low vocabulary and lack of decency.

I'm not the leader of another country saying it.

I've explained (more than once) why the JV comment is not the same as the Rocket Man comment.  I didn't defend the JV comment as much as say why it is different in this case.  So I see no need to explain myself again.

Luckily this hasn't been about "defending Trump" or I'd start to think a closet Trump supporter was in our midst.  Smirk