Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POTUS cancels meeting with Phillippine President
(09-07-2016, 08:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So Obama cancels a meeting with a foreign leader because said leader called him a name? Isn't that what some people on here claimed they were afraid would happen if Trump became president? Glad to see that it's okay when a Democrat does it, but ...

I think it was less about the name calling and more about the guy expressing disdain for those trying to get involved in the affairs. I've never really heard any concerns about Trump cancelling a meting like this, more that he would be the one doing the name calling.

That being said, this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If he had gone after what was said then the people questioning his decision now would still question it. They would be calling him weak and submissive for going.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-07-2016, 08:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That being said, this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If he had gone after what was said then the people questioning his decision now would still question it. They would be calling him weak and submissive for going.

...and if he had have went those applauding him for cancelling would be......

Sort of a good if you do, good if you don't situation. 

Belsnickle Wrote:I've never really heard any concerns about Trump cancelling a meting like this

You didn't read post 36 or the reply?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-07-2016, 08:06 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So Obama cancels a meeting with a foreign leader because said leader called him a name? Isn't that what some people on here claimed they were afraid would happen if Trump became president? Glad to see that it's okay when a Democrat does it, but ...

Yes that is exactly what happened.  Mellow

And yes, that is exactly what Trump said.  Mellow

reading comprehension must be hard with Trump's hat over your eyes. Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-07-2016, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and if he had have went those applauding him for cancelling would be......

Sort of a good if you do, good if you don't situation. 

Eh, I'd even applaud Trump for cancelling in this situation. Dude is toxic and we don't need a top level meeting like that. Other diplomatic channels are better.

(09-07-2016, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You didn't read post 36 or the reply?

The post about Trump's comments regarding the G20 stuff? I hadn't, but wasn't that less about the concerns of others about him cancelling after another head of state was vitriolic towards him and more about what he said in response to China's actions at the G20 which were a perceived slight?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-07-2016, 08:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think it was less about the name calling and more about the guy expressing disdain for those trying to get involved in the affairs. I've never really heard any concerns about Trump cancelling a meting like this, more that he would be the one doing the name calling.

That being said, this was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If he had gone after what was said then the people questioning his decision now would still question it. They would be calling him weak and submissive for going.
To be honest, I meant to add to my last post that I think Obama did the right thing in this case.

I just wanted to point out the usual double standard found in politics.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
(09-07-2016, 09:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, I'd even applaud Trump for cancelling in this situation. Dude is toxic and we don't need a top level meeting like that. Other diplomatic channels are better.

The post about Trump's comments regarding the G20 stuff? I hadn't, but wasn't that less about the concerns of others about him cancelling after another head of state was vitriolic towards him and more about what he said in response to China's actions at the G20 which were a perceived slight?

Yep.

But some folks are NOT defending Trump nor supporting him...they are just, uh, defending Trump.

Smirk
(09-07-2016, 09:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, I'd even applaud Trump for cancelling in this situation. Dude is toxic and we don't need a top level meeting like that. Other diplomatic channels are better.

And I'm you would have spoken against Obama if he had meet with the Philippine President. 

Isn't isolating leaders such as this the exact thing that leads to countries such as NK?

Both scenarios are that a President (potential) cancelled (would cancel) a meeting because of lack of respect.

(09-07-2016, 09:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be honest, I meant to add to my last post that I think Obama did the right thing in this case.

I just wanted to point out the usual double standard found in politics.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

What was different between him visiting Laos and not visiting the Philippines?

It cannot be because of Human Rights. That is where I find the double standard. 

(09-07-2016, 03:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: -Instead he just orders drone strikes on US citizens because he claimed they were terrorists. Or just didn't know they were there. (No trials there. Not saying that they were all good people, but wasn't your point that it didn't matter? They needed trials to prove guilt in a court.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/23/obama-us-hostages-killed-al-qaeda/26232205/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/aulaqi-incited-young-muslims-to-attacks-against-west/2011/09/30/gIQACMaKAL_story.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/checkpoint-washington/post/a-proud-traitor-samir-khan-reported-dead-alongside-aulaqi/2011/09/30/gIQAYhcdAL_blog.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/04/23/the-u-s-keeps-killing-americans-in-drone-strikes-mostly-by-accident/

You can not try people who are fugitives outside of U.S. jurisdiction.  And there is not way in hell you can compare collateral damage from military actions in foreign countries to ordering the murder of citizens at home by vigilantes.

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted in this forum, and that is saying a lot.
(09-07-2016, 03:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's also hard to imagine what it's like over there. Would we treat our laws/justice different if our entire country was just one big Chicago? If the Heroin epidemic that's sweeping Ohio and Kentucky was throughout our entire country? Probably. A legal recourse to fixing things only works if the government isn't run by the criminals/the criminals' money.

You have no clue what is going on.  Neither the crime rate nor the drug use in thre Philippines is that high.  IN fact they have much lower crime rates than the UNited States

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Philippines/United-States/Crime

Duerte is just using fear mongering to justify his murderous "cleansing".
(09-07-2016, 10:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no clue what is going on.  Neither the crime rate nor the drug use in thre Philippines is that high.  IN fact they have much lower crime rates than the UNited States

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Philippines/United-States/Crime

Duerte is just using fear mongering to justify his murderous "cleansing".

Crime rates are a tricky thing; but you probably knew this. Look at this:
http://www.insideprison.com/crime-statistics-by-country.asp

The 3 countries in the world where violent crime is most prevelant are:
Sweden
New Zealand
Finland

The 3 where violent crime is the least prevalent are:
Nepal
The Philippines
Bangladesh 

Take a look at the entire list and tell me what you see as a trend for the less-violent countries versus the most violent and then suggest who does not have a clue. 

(09-07-2016, 10:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Crime rates are a tricky thing; but you probably knew this. Look at this:
http://www.insideprison.com/crime-statistics-by-country.asp

The 3 countries in the world where violent crime is most prevelant are:
Sweden
New Zealand
Finland

The 3 where violent crime is the least prevalent are:
Nepal
The Philippines
Bangladesh 

Take a look at the entire list and tell me what you see as a trend for the less-violent countries versus the most violent and then suggest who does not have a clue. 

Yes, if only Obama was a dictator!  Just what conservatives always said!

Mellow
(09-07-2016, 08:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think it was less about the name calling and more about the guy expressing disdain for those trying to get involved in the affairs. I've never really heard any concerns about Trump cancelling a meting like this, more that he would be the one doing the name calling.

Don't read too much into it. This is just two conservative Republicans trying to rationalize the fact that they're forced to vote for Trump. I'd probably be just as pissed as they are if my right leaning party basically rejected conservatism over racist populism. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-07-2016, 02:23 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Thanks for reminding me about that case. The misconduct of the FBI case is up before a Grand Jury right now and currently the Government is trying to file memo's under seal and not allow LaVoy's attorney to have access to it. Good thing the Judge is not allowing it.

If he wasn't doing anything illegal...

If he listened to the authorities...

If he didn't charge them...

Watching people defend this guy was beyond amusing. 

(09-07-2016, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not the only person that calls him Barney; but if you think that is the crux of the discussion I will refer to him a Mr President, so that we may focus on the matter at hand.

That for your officiating. 

Who calls him Barnie/Barney? The same people that call him O'Bummer? At least those people know that their asinine nickname is so juvenile that no independent thinkers are going to take them seriously. 

Do you think anyone who consistently calls Trump "Drumph" (or whatever that dumb ass German name they use is) is approaching him with rationality?

Meh.... Obama made the safe call to let the guy sit.

As long as Obama leaves the white house on time, his relevance is next to nil with me.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Quote:Obama, Duterte Meet Despite Philippine Leader's Crude Outburst
by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VIENTIANE, Laos — President Barack Obama and Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte met informally on Wednesday in a holding room before attending a gala dinner at a regional summit, Philippine officials said.

The brief meeting took a little sting out of the soured relations caused by Duterte's intemperate language in referring to Obama earlier this week. That had caused Obama to cancel a formal meeting scheduled for Tuesday.

There was no immediate confirmation from the White House.

Philippine Foreign Secretary Pefecto Yasay told The Associated Press that the leaders interacted.

"They met at the holding room and they were the last persons to leave the holding room," Yasay said. "I can't say how long they met. It all springs from the fact the relationship between the Philippines and the United States is firm, very strong. The basis for this relationship is historical and both leaders realize this. And I'm very happy that it happened."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/obama-duterte-meet-despite-philippine-leader-s-crude-outburst-n644116
(09-08-2016, 09:03 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If he wasn't doing anything illegal...

If he listened to the authorities...

If he didn't charge them...

Watching people defend this guy was beyond amusing. 

There are allegations that an FBI agent fired at the car before LeVoy came out.  Might still have been justified, but apparently they may have tried to cover up the fact that they shot before he got out of the car. 
(09-08-2016, 11:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/obama-duterte-meet-despite-philippine-leader-s-crude-outburst-n644116

Waiting for Bfine to compliment Obama.
(09-08-2016, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Waiting for Bfine to compliment Obama.

Of course this is a class act by POTUS and I have been complmentary of him on other occassions. His nomination of a Chief Justice and the demand that Congress vet that nomination comes to mind. There have been many others and I remember vehimently defending the First Lady when someone in here used to always point to her physical appearance.

Now, I'll stand by and wait for others to say it was a mistake to have the meeting.