Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POTUS to blame for "War on Police"
(09-01-2015, 08:58 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: He has very often interjected himself into various matters with an alleged black victim, more often than not before any facts or evidence came forth, which I would say is both unprofessional (especially for a person with a law degree) and shows a bias that a person elected to the highest office in the land should not be so often displaying. 

Again, telling a group that doesn't trust the police (and I'm talking the minority that feel that way, not all black people) to trust that there will be justice IS trying to calm the situation.

No one needs to tell the American public that the white got shot by the black guy on camera won't be brought to justice.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-01-2015, 08:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: I suppose saying "targeting police is completely unacceptable and "an affront to civilized society" just isn't the same as blaming black people for killing white people.

At the risk of seeming redundant, I do believe Obama is calling someone Savages.
Shocked
Manhunt in IL for 3 people who killed another cop....allegedly 2 white guys and a black guy. Not sure what happened, but he pulled them over and then ended-up in a chase, calling for back-up. Think he may have been shot with his own weapon.

This is why I have little sympathy for people who fail to cooperate, at a minimum, and contribute to a mistake by the cop that gets them killed.
(09-01-2015, 03:19 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Manhunt in IL for 3 people who killed another cop....allegedly 2 white guys and a black guy.  Not sure what happened, but he pulled them over and then ended-up in a chase, calling for back-up.  Think he may have been shot with his own weapon.

This is why I have little sympathy for people who fail to cooperate, at a minimum, and contribute to a mistake by the cop that gets them killed.

What is wrong with people?

Why do people think that killing someone is worth ANYTHING?
(09-01-2015, 03:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: What is wrong with people?

Why do people think that killing someone is worth ANYTHING?

Well, I think one of the common themes here has been very unstable, if not mentally unstable, people committing these acts.  And I think, in part, that has been exacerbated and fueled by the disgusting national rhetoric of police violence.

Could also be that, just like every questionable cop shooting is now national news, every cop injured or shot in the line of duty is going to be national news.
(09-01-2015, 08:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just to be clear:  If the President mentions the victim being black and tell the community they will look into it...he's race baiting.  If he DOESN'T mention the race of the WHITE victim he he race baiting.

Could it be that by mentioning a black victim, and understanding that that group of Americans tend to feel put down by the police, and saying that they will do everything within their power to investigate and make sure justice is served he *IS* trying to calm the situation?  Or do you want full on "Angry Obama" telling them uppity blacks to stop burning shit?

I suppose saying "targeting police is completely unacceptable and "an affront to civilized society" just isn't the same as blaming black people for killing white people.

Rock On

When has he ever taken the side of the police in any of these "race" issues?

Or how about just saying..... Let the legal system worn itself out. These are local matters.
(09-02-2015, 01:03 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: When has he ever taken the side of the police in any of these "race" issues?

Or how about just saying..... Let the legal system worn itself out.   These are local matters.

You can't see the forest for the trees.  Reread what I wrote.  He is talking to a different audience when he talks about justice when a black person has been shot by an officer.  He's talking to an audience of people with a predisposition to not trust authority or justice based on their own experiences.  

No one HAS to say "The cop shot in the back on film will have justice".  

Its called diplomacy. I don't talk to my boss the way I talk to my children or talk to my wife or talk to my friends.

But you, and those like you, want to say "Obama mentioned race!!!!! He hates white people and is encouraging cop killers!!!!!" When he did nothing of the sort and has shown support and compassion for the police also. But that doesn't fit the "He hates America" image the right needs to make it look like they love america.
(09-02-2015, 08:36 AM)GMDino Wrote: You can't see the forest for the trees.  Reread what I wrote.  He is talking to a different audience when he talks about justice when a black person has been shot by an officer.

As POTUS, his audience is ALWAYS the entire American people.  What Obama does is pander to his base.  If he wants to advocate for specific local black groups then he should never have given up his job as Community Agitator.

As POTUS, you're supposed to unify the country, not enable and contribute to divisive rhetoric.  He allowed a few of these cases to be about race, rather than focusing on procedural error and an unwillingness to follow lawful orders.
(09-02-2015, 12:11 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: As POTUS, his audience is ALWAYS the entire American people.  What Obama does is pander to his base.  If he wants to advocate for specific local black groups then he should never have given up his job as Community Agitator.

As POTUS, you're supposed to unify the country, not enable and contribute to divisive rhetoric.  He allowed a few of these cases to be about race, rather than focusing on procedural error and an unwillingness to follow lawful orders.

I'll never say a politician doesn't pander.

But I'll defend his speaking to different people even when using the national pulpit.

Asking for calm and promising justice is EXACTLY what the President should do...and does....and did.

His focus on the race of the victim WAS to speak to those who would assume they wouldn't get justice.  That is who he was speaking to and about.  I'm sorry if the vast white majority in the country doesn't get all the good feels when one of them is killed.  But knowing that white kids aren't going to loot and riot (unless their team wins a championship) means you don't HAVE to address them.  He HAS shown support for the police.  He HAS spoken on the violence directed at them.  But it doesn't matter to some who believe he is race baiting by not bringing up race when he doesn't have to.

:snark:
(09-02-2015, 12:21 PM)GMDino Wrote:   He HAS shown support for the police.  He HAS spoken on the violence directed at them.  But it doesn't matter to some who believe he is race baiting by not bringing up race when he doesn't have to.

This times 1000.

There is a reason that white people don't riot and cause trouble when one of them gets killed by police.  

It is because there is a long history of whites discriminating against blacks.  

It is because the whites are a majority with overwhelming majority of the wealth and power in this country.  

It is because there are discoveries of flat out racism among white officers in places like Ferguson.  

So there is no need for Obama to try and calm the fears of the whites when they don't really have a fear of the criminal justice system in the first place.

Obama has made points of telling people they must respect the law and the decisions of the courts like the Gran Jury in Ferguson.  He has spoken out many times against the rioters that are causing trouble among the peaceful protesters.  He has spoken out in support of law officers.  But even when people are given direct quotes they either say he didn't mean it or else they go back to attacking what he has not done.   
(09-02-2015, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This times 1000.

There is a reason that white people don't riot and cause trouble when one of them gets killed by police.  

It is because there is a long history of whites discriminating against blacks.  

It is because the whites are a majority with overwhelming majority of the wealth and power in this country.  

It is because there are discoveries of flat out racism among white officers in places like Ferguson.  

So there is no need for Obama to try and calm the fears of the whites when they don't really have a fear of the criminal justice system in the first place.

Obama has made points of telling people they must respect the law and the decisions of the courts like the Gran Jury in Ferguson.  He has spoken out many times against the rioters that are causing trouble among the peaceful protesters.  He has spoken out in support of law officers.  But even when people are given direct quotes they either say he didn't mean it or else they go back to attacking what he has not done.   

And none of that is to justify the rioting or the looting or any other "eye for an eye" talk or actions.

But we can't ignore the reasons for it either.
(09-02-2015, 12:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: And none of that is to justify the rioting or the looting or any other "eye for an eye" talk or actions.

Exactly.  It is ridiculous and counter productive.  Even if you try to justify the stealing as a response to financial oppression (which I don't) there is no possible excuse for burning and destroying their own neighborhoods. 

In fact, the looting and destruction have done more damage to their cause than anything done by the other side.

The number of people that will kill a cop for being a cop is just as small as the number of people who will kill a black person for being a black person.
(09-02-2015, 12:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: And none of that is to justify the rioting or the looting or any other "eye for an eye" talk or actions.

But we can't ignore the reasons for it either.

I think the issue that causes the OP's concern is when Obama insisting on curtailing the militarization of police, coupled with the immediate support (viewed as excusing by some) of the rioters.
This leads some people to believe that he may as well be out on the street, chucking bricks with them.
I'm not saying that is my view, I'm just trying to see it from that extreme point of view.
Perspective is everything and that is why we all would do better to walk completely around a situation, examine it from those angles, and then give our opinion.
We may very well come up with the same one we would have originally, but at least we could understand how someone else could draw their conclusion.
When Obama sent delegates to the Michael Brown funeral, what message do you think that conveyed to law enforcement and the BLM protesters?
(09-02-2015, 03:09 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: When Obama sent delegates to the Michael Brown funeral, what message do you think that conveyed to law enforcement and the BLM protesters?

That he wanted the community to calm down?

Quote:The White House aides who attended Mr. Brown’s funeral in St. Louis included Broderick Johnson, chairman of the White House’s My Brother’s Keeper Task Force; Marlon Marshall, the deputy director of the White House Office of Public Engagement; and Heather Foster, an adviser to the Office of Public Engagement, CNS reported.

Its not like Biden went.
We actually have and spend money on "My Brother's Keeper Task Force"???

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
(09-02-2015, 04:21 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: We actually have and spend money on "My Brother's Keeper Task Force"???

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I have to admit I never heard of it but it seems like a good idea:

http://www.ed.gov/edblogs/hispanic-initiative/my-brothers-keeper/

Quote:In February 2014, the President announced a new initiative, My Brother’s Keeper to ensure that all youth, including boys and young men of color, have opportunities to improve their life outcomes and overcome barriers to success. There have been a number of events and announcements related to My Brother’s Keeper since its launch – more information about the various aspects of My Brother’s Keeper can be found at theMy Brother’s Keeper webpage, and several resources are listed below.

Did You Know?
  • Only 7% of America’s public school teachers are Hispanic, 2% are Hispanic males.
  • 27% of Blacks and Latinos enroll in an Advanced Placement class and just 18% receive a passing score.
  • By the 4th grade, many Black and Latino students are nearly 3 years behind their white counterparts.
  • Hispanic young men are more than 6 times as likely to be murder victims than white peers.
  • 82% of Hispanic boys read below proficiency levels by the fourth grade.
To advance the goals of My Brother’s Keeper, the Initiative is focusing on identifying and increasing impact in key areas, including: early learning and school readiness, parenting and family engagement, third grade literacy, educational opportunity and college access, school discipline, postsecondary affordability and completion, diversity in the teaching profession, interactions with the criminal justice system, ladders to jobs and economic opportunity, and healthy families and communities.

Key My Brother’s Keeper Activities
The Initiative has engaged in numerous activities to discuss the My Brother’s Keeper effort and the educational prospects of Hispanic males. In addition, we have tracked many activities that relate to the goals of My Brother’s Keeper, or focus on Hispanic boys and young men, that have been carried out by organizations in the nonprofit and private sectors. Below is an extended list of activities held throughout 2014, which includes web links to resources connected to those activities that can be found online.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/02/27/fact-sheet-opportunity-all-president-obama-launches-my-brother-s-keeper-

Quote:Investments from Leading Foundations and Businesses to Advance the Achievement of Boys and Young Men of Color.  Leading foundations and businesses have long worked with others in philanthropy to create opportunities for young men and boys of color and today are committing significant resources to research critical intervention points in the lives of boys and young men of color; change the often-damaging narrative about them; and catalyze coordinated investments to seed, replicate, and scale up effective community solutions.

The foundations supporting today’s call to action have already made extensive investments, including  $150 million in current spending that they have already approved or awarded. Building on that, today these foundations are announcing that over the next five years they seek to invest at least $200 million, alongside additional investments from their peers in philanthropy and the business community, to find and rapidly spread solutions that have the highest potential for impact in key areas, including: early child development and school readiness, parenting and parent engagement, 3rd grade literacy, educational opportunity and school discipline reform, interactions with the criminal justice system ladders to jobs and economic opportunity and healthy families and communities.

The foundations will work over the next 90 days to design a strategy and infrastructure for coordination of these investments, which can be aligned with additional commitments from a diverse array of actors from other sectors.
(09-02-2015, 12:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Asking for calm and promising justice is EXACTLY what the President should do...and does....and did.

And that's where he's wrong, because a good number of those ******** didn't want justice (if they actually understand the concept)....they wanted vengeance.  For whatever grievance real or imagined they've held, which is EXACTLY what Obama pandered to.

And good job on creating calm.  I guess his words didn't have the effect he hoped, which was less than shocking to those of us who were shocked by what he was saying as the POTUS.
(09-02-2015, 03:09 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: When Obama sent delegates to the Michael Brown funeral, what message do you think that conveyed to law enforcement and the BLM protesters?

Shots fired at and hitting a police cruiser today.

I eagerly await the calming words from our POTUS...along with a very forceful and public declaration of complete support of our LEO's.    And It's past time he calls out the dumbasses who don't follow lawful orders that give rise to many of these situations.

Yes, "hands up, don't shoot" is great advice....unless, apparently, you're a white meth addict in TX.
(09-02-2015, 05:20 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: And that's where he's wrong, because a good number of those ******** didn't want justice (if they actually understand the concept)....they wanted vengeance.  For whatever grievance real or imagined they've held, which is EXACTLY what Obama pandered to.

And good job on creating calm.  I guess his words didn't have the effect he hoped, which was less than shocking to those of us who were shocked by what he was saying as the POTUS.

Of course there are some that use the situation as a way to hide their already bad ideas about looting and vandalizing.  

If the POTUS deliberately called them out do think that would stop that segment?

He didn't pander to them at all.  He asked for patience and said there would be a full investigation in order to keep the sensible people from getting caught up in the hysteria.