Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS/IR rules
In this crazy COVID filled season, the best rule changes were the ones concerning the practice squad and injured reserves were the best and some should be adopted permanently

1) The ability to place an unlimited number of players on IR for 3 weeks and bring them back.
2) The ability to call up PS players for game day

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 03:02 PM)pally Wrote: In this crazy COVID filled season, the best rule changes were the ones concerning the practice squad and injured reserves were the best and some should be adopted permanently

1) The ability to place an unlimited number of players on IR for 3 weeks and bring them back.  
2) The ability to call up PS players for game day

The extended size of the practice squad was nice as well.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 03:03 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The extended size of the practice squad was nice as well.

I liked that one too but I don't think the owners would go for that extra cost.  The Player's Association will try for it though

Reply/Quote
I like allowing vets with unlimited experience to be on the PS.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 03:06 PM)pally Wrote: I liked that one too but I don't think the owners would go for that extra cost.  The Player's Association will try for it though

I thought that I heard that the league is going to add the 17th game to the schedule in the next season.  If they do, that extra revenue sharing should offset the cost of the expanded practice squads.

I like the idea of the expanded practice squads, as it means more opportunities for players to develop and perhaps make an NFL permanent roster.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thought that I heard that the league is going to add the 17th game to the schedule in the next season.  If they do, that extra revenue sharing should offset the cost of the expanded practice squads.

I like the idea of the expanded practice squads, as it means more opportunities for players to develop and perhaps make an NFL permanent roster.

But isn't it going to require a reduction in preseason games?

in other words, won't that be a wash as far as revenue is concerned?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 07:46 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But isn't it going to require a reduction in preseason games?

in other words, won't that be a wash as far as revenue is concerned?

I'm not sure how the revenue breaks for preseason games, but I'm positive that viewership and attendance are really low compared to regular season games.  I'm sure that the advertisers, i.e. revenue sources have noticed this trend as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 03:06 PM)pally Wrote: I liked that one too but I don't think the owners would go for that extra cost.  The Player's Association will try for it though

Seems like practice squad members make between $8400 and $12,000 a week. So roughly $140,000-$200,000. Pretty insignificant in the whole scheme of things.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 03:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seems like practice squad members make between $8400 and $12,000 a week. So roughly $140,000-$200,000. Pretty insignificant in the whole scheme of things.

x 10 PS players all counting against the cap

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 03:40 PM)pally Wrote: x 10 PS players all counting against the cap

But I think we are talking six additional. The ten are already there. So about $1 million extra. And it’s going up some anyway per the new deal.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote