Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pace?
Like most peole here I like an up tempo offense. Doesn't have to be extreme like no-huddle or hurry-up, but in a face-paced game the offense wears down the defense instead of the other way around. It also gives the defense less time to make adjustments to the offense.

But the Bengals will be kicking off another game about 100 hours after the Sunday game. And opening day is usually pretty hot weather. So should the Bengals play a slow pace and run the clock to shorten the game in order to save their legs for Thursday night?

Nightmare scenario is an overtime game Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Like most peole here I like an up tempo offense.  Doesn't have to be extreme like no-huddle or hurry-up, but in a face-paced game the offense wears down the defense instead of the other way around.  It also gives the defense less time to make adjustments to the offense.

But the Bengals will be kicking off another game about 100 hours after the Sunday game.  And opening day is usually pretty hot weather.  So should the Bengals play a slow pace and run the clock to shorten the game in order to save their legs for Thursday night?

The only game that matters Sunday, is the game that's on Sunday. You play that however you need to, to get the win. 

Then you worry about Thursday, Monday morning. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals play whatever style of offense gives them the best shot to beat the Chargers. One game at a time.
Reply/Quote
The forecast for Sunday is low 80s and rain. They will play each game as it comes. If this was later in the season after everyone has been beat up a bit the coaches may game plan looking at both games but not games 1 and 2. Usually, when a team plays with the next game in mind they lose both. I want them to play at the pace that works best for them in any given situation. That means some drives will be slow and methodical eating up clock and other times it will be fast.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Like most peole here I like an up tempo offense.  Doesn't have to be extreme like no-huddle or hurry-up, but in a face-paced game the offense wears down the defense instead of the other way around.  It also gives the defense less time to make adjustments to the offense.

But the Bengals will be kicking off another game about 100 hours after the Sunday game.  And opening day is usually pretty hot weather.  So should the Bengals play a slow pace and run the clock to shorten the game in order to save their legs for Thursday night?

Nightmare scenario is an overtime game Sunday.I 
I believe in a uptempo offense you can pick and choose when 
To install it within the frame of a game.
In fact I think JB will thrive in such a offense cause if the defense cannot get the correct matchups in then he easily 
Find the mismatch. 
I would be all for it
Reply/Quote
That's the name of my employer (legitimately).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:46 AM)pally Wrote: The forecast for Sunday is low 80s and rain. 

Low 80's for opening day is actually very nice.  Especially for a late game when the stadium helps shade the field.

In high school every game I played was at night in Ohio.  First game of my Freshman year in college was in the middle of the day in Tennessee.  I did not even play but I was burning up on the sidelines just watching.  It was brutal hot.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:58 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's the name of my employer (legitimately).

The salsa? Lol
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 12:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The salsa? Lol

New York City??!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 12:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The salsa? Lol

Credit Union here in Ontario Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

While I agree that an overtime game would certainly put the Bengals at a disadvantage looking ahead to Thursday, I really don't think that it would be wise to get overly conservative and not go as wide open as it takes to get that opening day win.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:46 AM)pally Wrote: The forecast for Sunday is low 80s and rain.  They will play each game as it comes.  If this was later in the season after everyone has been beat up a bit the coaches may game plan looking at both games but not games 1 and 2.  Usually, when a team plays with the next game in mind they lose both.  I want them to play at the pace that works best for them in any given situation.  That means some drives will be slow and methodical eating up clock and other times it will be fast.

That is early, though...the game is at 4 PM EST.  It will not be as wet, but could still be muggy.  

My hope is that they come out in a controlled pace with a high dose of Mixon rushing and receiving.  If they can get a lead, and get the ball back, I would consider allowing Burrow to go uptempo to try and not allow the defense time to get set.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:41 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The only game that matters Sunday, is the game that's on Sunday. You play that however you need to, to get the win. 

Then you worry about Thursday, Monday morning. 

^^ This

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 02:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is early, though...the game is at 4 PM EST.  It will not be as wet, but could still be muggy.  

My hope is that they come out in a controlled pace with a high dose of Mixon rushing and receiving.  If they can get a lead, and get the ball back, I would consider allowing Burrow to go uptempo to try and not allow the defense time to get set.  

Yep, give the rock to Mixon and Gio and run it down their throats, with occasional shots downfield to AJ and crew.
Reply/Quote

Well, we all know Burrow thrives in an up-tempo Offense, but this is a great question. I think because of the way Mixon runs on 
the Stains we should go more up-tempo in Burrow's first start against a good Defense and rely more on the running game against
the Stains the more I think about it.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow really did pick up on the playbook as fast as the coaches said he did, he should be good to go in no-huddle right away.
Reply/Quote