Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Package Votto with Castillo
(07-17-2022, 10:25 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I remember the Homer deal. The Dodgers weren't really interested in Homer except to release him. Maybe Votto can be the same deal. lol

The key to the Homer Bailey deal was that he had a no trade clause in his contract. 

He waived it only on the standing that the Dodgers would waive him so he could be a free agent. He actually pitched pretty good for a little while after that, if I remember correctly.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2022, 01:57 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The key to the Homer Bailey deal was that he had a no trade clause in his contract. 

He waived it only on the standing that the Dodgers would waive him so he could be a free agent. He actually pitched pretty good for a little while after that, if I remember correctly.

If I remember right he had one pretty decent season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2022, 10:25 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I remember the Homer deal. The Dodgers weren't really interested in Homer except to release him. Maybe Votto can be the same deal. lol

Bailey was in the last year of his deal. Votto still has 2 years left. We are talking about over $50 million still owed to him.
Reply/Quote
Now that the AllStar game is over, it is time to shop Castillo. Multiple teams seem interested.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2022, 08:51 PM)samhain Wrote: No.

The Reds have stated that they are aligning payroll with resources and building through the farm system. Bailing contracts will decrease the prospect return. it's a shit way to build for the future. After next year, Joey is off the books. Just gut it out and thank him for his services. If anyone really thinks they're going to go on a spending spree after dumping his salary, they're not paying attention.

Castillo is an extremely valuable asset to a contending team. You make someone pay up in prospects for his services. Bolster the farm system and hope to have a strong major league roster in a couple of years.

As for the Yankees, if they don't start trade conversations by offering Volpe or Peraza, then hang up the phone and move on.

This^

Why would any fan want to give up top notch prospects in a deal to save Bob some money?!

They won’t spend that money to upgrade the team. The only way we ever luck into something with these owners is if they trade away our trade chips for TONS of top level prospects and we get lucky and all of them pan out at the same time. Don’t give up one of the best pitchers in the game to save a years salary that won’t be put to good use anyway.

We need to come out of this trade deadline with one of if not the best farm systems in the league.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 12:07 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This^

Why would any fan want to give up top notch prospects in a deal to save Bob some money?!

They won’t spend that money to upgrade the team. The only way we ever luck into something with these owners is if they trade away our trade chips for TONS of top level prospects and we get lucky and all of them pan out at the same time. Don’t give up one of the best pitchers in the game to save a years salary that won’t be put to good use anyway.

We need to come out of this trade deadline with one of if not the best farm systems in the league.

It's a big opportunity and a key moment in the future of the Reds.  They have an OK farm system now, and a lot of high-ceiling young starters.  Elly de la Cruz will probably be a top 10 prospect in MLB when the next top 100 comes out.  Collier was a great pick in the 2022 draft.  

If I'm the Reds, I want at the very least 2 guys in the middle of the top 100 project list, preferably at least 1 outfielder.  If the Yankees want to cave and make Peraza available, I'd take him, plus Waldchuck and Wells.  I do however feel like the Dodgers are by far our best match.  Their farm system is jacked with talent and they could cobble together a huge return without really crippling themselves.  For a big spending organization, their farm system is just about the best in the game.  

Either way, someone needs to pay.  I criticize the Reds brass quite a bit, and they deserve it.  In this scenario, however, they seem to be doing the right thing and scouting the best of potential partner organizations' prospect capital.  
Reply/Quote
I'm still old school and would rather see Castillo in the American league. For some stupid, ####ed up reason, I always think my teams are going to turn it around and challenge next year. It would flat out suck to face him in the playoffs because there's a good chance that whoever trades for him winds up signing him to a long term deal over the Winter.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Reds Rotation Next 5 Games
Ascraft
Minor
Mahle
TBD
TBD

Looks like Castillo is already gone and Greene not listed?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2022, 08:41 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It would be awesome ! I don't know perhaps Votto would agree to go to Yankees ? I just can't see them wanting Votto, or anybody else for that matter.

How much of vottos contract would they take.?

Saw something that KG Jr is the 9th highest paid player on the payroll this year....  (and its been 14 years since hes played)
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2022, 02:35 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Reds Rotation Next 5 Games
Ascraft
Minor
Mahle
TBD
TBD

The Reds should not pitch Castillo risking injury. They probably have a team in mind to trade with and the team might want assurance.
Reply/Quote
Ascraft
Minor
Mahle
TBD
TBD

I was wondering again the other day if they shouldn't consider sending Greene back to minors and let him ease up a bit. His ML leading 23 HR's and 5.78 ERA isn't really helping anything up here.

He needs to work on his curve ball and develop a changeup or something ?
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2022, 07:11 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Reds should not pitch Castillo risking injury. They probably have a team in mind to trade with and the team might want assurance.

I'm so hoping they get somebody good for him.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 02:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was wondering again the other day if they shouldn't consider sending Greene back to minors and let him ease up a bit. His ML leading 23 HR's and 5.78 ERA isn't really helping anything up here.

He needs to work on his curve ball and develop a changeup or something ?

They mentioned during the game last night that the Reds were going to use a 6 man rotation. Sounds like Mahle gets added back and the other 5 stay.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Ascraft
Minor
Mahle
TBD
TBD

(07-23-2022, 02:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was wondering again the other day if they shouldn't consider sending Greene back to minors and let him ease up a bit. His ML leading 23 HR's and 5.78 ERA isn't really helping anything up here.

He needs to work on his curve ball and develop a change up or something ?

I'm worried about him getting 20 losses more than anything else. What he needs to work on is getting movement on his fastball like Ashcraft and be more like Ohtani and to a lesser degree, Mahle. I love watching the Angels with the opposing announcers because they freak out how Ohtani pitches around 97-98 MPH consistently for a few innings and then breaks out the 101 MPH when he needs it. Mahle will do the same with 93-94 and then hit 97, but not wait until three innings later to up the MPH. Ohtani plans on being around in the 7th and 8th innings whereas Mahle's usually lucky to not hit 100 pitches by the 5th.

Larkin on vacation? Welsh normally only does road games.

Also, Bally Sports Ohio has Marlin series as . . .
Lodolo
Greene
Castillo
Ashcraft
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 09:39 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm worried about him getting 20 losses more than anything else. What he needs to work on is getting movement on his fastball like Ashcraft and be more like Ohtani and to a lesser degree, Mahle. I love watching the Angels with the opposing announcers because they freak out how Ohtani pitches around 97-98 MPH consistently for a few innings and then breaks out the 101 MPH when he needs it. Mahle will do the same with 93-94 and then hit 97, but not wait until three innings later to up the MPH. Ohtani plans on being around in the 7th and 8th innings whereas Mahle's usually lucky to not hit 100 pitches by the 5th.

Larkin on vacation? Welsh normally only does road games.

Also, Bally Sports Ohio has Marlin series as . . .
Lodolo
Greene
Castillo
Ashcraft

He's got to work on something because giving up two or three taters per game has to be killing his confidence.
Reply/Quote
Castillo scheduled to pitch in Wednesday's game. Doubt it happens as the Reds will probably deal him soon. I personally would not risk pitching him prior to a trade. The deadline is fast approaching so let's see what we get.
Reply/Quote