Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Packers say "complacency" became a problem
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/packers-admit-complacency-had-infected-the-football-operation/

Which naturally makes me wonder how big of a problem complacency was for this team under Marvin...who not only had more years than McCarthy, he's also known as a "player's coach" that everyone was comfortable with.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Lack of energy and accountability marred Merv's last years.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin's teams just needed to play better..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin's teams just needed to play better..... Ninja

LOL.."And we will'..clap, clap, clap

Reply/Quote
McCarthy is done for 2019 too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We did lose a lot of quality free agents over the past 3 years. Put Whitworth and Zeitler back on the roster and we likely win 10 games this year.

Put Marvin Jones or Sanu back.

I could go on and on.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We did lose a lot of quality free agents over the past 3 years. Put Whitworth and Zeitler back on the roster and we likely win 10 games this year.

I could go on and on.

Tyler Boyd> Jones or Sanu
Reply/Quote
No doubt in my mind it played into things here.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We did lose a lot of quality free agents over the past 3 years. Put Whitworth and Zeitler back on the roster and we likely win 10 games this year.

I could go on and on.

I'm talking about complacency in attitude more than off-season moves. That said, I gotta disagree that 2 o-linemen would've changed things much. The defense was the biggest problem this year, and I do believe complacency could be an issue with our core group of players under Marv. Why strive for greatness when failure was being accepted?

Hopefully this shakeup with the coaching staff brings a new attitude and makes those seats a little less cozy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin's teams just needed to play better..... Ninja

His famous mantra since that 2007 press conference when he became preciously known as “Giggles” Whatever

Seriously, what did Marvin even do as a head coach? Did he just expect everyone else to “do your job” while he just sat back, packed on some pounds and watched his players and assistants do the work? Wouldn’t surprise me.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/10/packers-admit-complacency-had-infected-the-football-operation/

Which naturally makes me wonder how big of a problem complacency was for this team under Marvin...who not only had more years than McCarthy, he's also known as a "player's coach" that everyone was comfortable with.

bah bah bah.. for one team it is complacency, another team it is get a different type of guy or get a veteran or get a young guy... 

teams sometimes hang on too long to coaches that turn a team around and teams also don;t give coaches time to turn things around.. double edge sword.. When to let a coach go and when to give a coach more time
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:34 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: His famous mantra since that 2007 press conference when he became preciously known as “Giggles” Whatever

Seriously, what did Marvin even do as a head coach? Did he just expect everyone else to “do your job” while he just sat back, packed on some pounds and watched his players and assistants do the work? Wouldn’t surprise me.

You know, I don't think for the last number of years Marvin even enjoyed being head coach. Look at how happy and revived he seems when he took over DC this year, he seemed more upbeat to me than he has in a while. I think HC just wore on him and he is happiest as a coordinator. But, a lot of times ego won't let you take a step backwards....
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Tyler Boyd> Jones or Sanu

Except that had we kept one of those two, we could have used the Boyd draft pick spot to pick another player (yes, it could have been a crappy LB or OL). 

Reply/Quote