Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pact Act
Glad this was passed. I was pretty upset at the GOP there for a few days. Glad to see them do the right thing. Plenty of Veterans will now have access to care they need. The hatred between the two parties has become so strong it almost ruined a much needed benefit. Glad the horse blinders were removed.

Quote:[Image: va-secretary-denis-r-mcdonough8x10_crop.jpg]
VA Secretary's Statement on the Passage of the PACT Act

“Veterans who were exposed to toxic fumes while fighting for our country are American heroes, and they deserve world-class care and benefits for their selfless service. The bipartisan PACT Act will help VA deliver for those Veterans—and their survivors—by empowering us to presumptively provide care and benefits to Vets suffering from more than 20 toxic exposure-related conditions.

To those Veterans, their families, caregivers, and survivors: you can apply for PACT Act benefits by filing a claim at VA.gov, and you can learn more about the PACT Act at VA.gov/PACT or by calling us at 1-800-MyVA411. VA will be communicating with you every step of the way to make sure that you and your loved ones get the benefits you’ve earned.

I couldn’t be more grateful to President Biden, who made this day possible by fighting like hell for our nation’s Veterans. Once the President signs this bill into law, VA will implement it quickly and effectively, delivering the care these Veterans need and the benefits they deserve.” – VA Secretary Denis R. McDonough

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There has been some nice compromise of late.  McConnell is getting blasted by the most conservative of his party for doing anything Bipartisan with the Dem's (see the taxes, healthcare and climate bill).  

Maybe it is short lived, but I'm glad to see some compromise and beneficial legislation.
Reply/Quote
Wild to see the government actually govern.
Reply/Quote
Anything bipartisan between now and Nov 8 is dishonest. They can’t flip the genuinety switch overnight. Bipartisanship is only a dream. Social media is partly to blame, while selfishness takes the rest. Both sides forget the American people except at election time.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 10:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Anything bipartisan between now and Nov 8 is dishonest. They can’t flip the genuinety switch overnight. Bipartisanship is only a dream. Social media is partly to blame, while selfishness takes the rest. Both sides forget the American people except at election time.

The whole "party of NO" thing goes back to 2010 or maybe even 2009, so it's hardly a new thing in politics.  We're entering into the 13th or 14th year or so of bipartisanship being a chief selling point of the GOP.  What's that saying?  It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I'm not saying democrats need to accomplish everything they set out to do, but the bipartisan gridlock has been very front and center for over a decade and judging by the voting records a lot of Americans are on board with it.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 07:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Glad this was passed. I was pretty upset at the GOP there for a few days. Glad to see them do the right thing. Plenty of Veterans will now have access to care they need. The hatred between the two parties has become so strong it almost ruined a much needed benefit. Glad the horse blinders were removed.

H-Dog, the issue here was not "hatred between the two parties."

Only one party is to blame for almost ruining a "much needed benefit." Only one party was wearing "horseblinders."
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 05:44 PM)Dill Wrote: H-Dog, the issue here was not "hatred between the two parties."

Only one party is to blame for almost ruining a "much needed benefit." Only one party was wearing "horseblinders."

I know this. But tomorrow it will be the dems doing the same.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 07:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know this. But tomorrow it will be the dems doing the same.

Yes, they'll be defending a bill the vast majority of Americans want passed while
the Republicans attack it. 

The goal is to prevent Biden from getting a "win." 

And to keep people saying "washington is the problem" and "the two party system" 
and the "division" in the U.S.  i.e., hiding origins, cause and effect.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2022, 04:09 PM)Dill Wrote: Yes, they'll be defending a bill the vast majority of Americans want passed while

And to keep people saying "washington is the problem" and "the two party system" 

Damn, you got it bad don’t you.

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2022, 05:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn, you got it bad don’t you.

Not nearly as bad as the folks who don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 07:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know this. But tomorrow it will be the dems doing the same.

Can you point to where in the past dems have "done the same"?
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2022, 05:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn, you got it bad don’t you.

I think if you could point out where I am wrong, you would. 

You saw Republicans blocking a bill you (and most Americans) thought should be passed.

Rather than blame Republicans--the cause of the problem--you decided that some shared "hatred" was the problem.

"Both sides" are then to blame, even the side trying to pass the bill you want passed. 

No special blame for the party still backing the coup plotters. 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 01:22 PM)Dill Wrote: I think if you could point out where I am wrong, you would. 

You saw Republicans blocking a bill you (and most Americans) thought should be passed.

Rather than blame Republicans--the cause of the problem--you decided that some shared "hatred" was the problem.

"Both sides" are then to blame, even the side trying to pass the bill you want passed. 

The g-no-p is doing everything in their power to NOT help citizens.

[Image: FZk8vX5WYAAQBdG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Rubio deleted this tweet...

[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 05:44 PM)Dill Wrote: H-Dog, the issue here was not "hatred between the two parties."

I was referring to GOP when I mentioned horseblinders.
(08-06-2022, 04:09 PM)Dill Wrote: Yes, they'll be defending a bill the vast majority of Americans want passed while

I agree it was all about preventing Biden from getting a win. No idea WTF your mixing with your other point.

(08-07-2022, 01:22 PM)Dill Wrote: I think if you could point out where I am wrong, you would. 

Where did I say your wrong? Also, I was blaming the republicans. As far as my hatred comment, it’s not like it’s a mystery. 

Reply/Quote
My thoughts on the overall inflation act bill:

1) Calling it an "inflation reduction" bill and then not even hitting the key drivers of inflation is laughable.  
2) The only piece of the bill I disagree with is the 15% minimum tax.  "We can't figure out how to write tax laws correctly so we'll just enforce a minimum tax instead" is lazy legislation...I wouldn't expect anything less from democrat leadership.  All this does is create a new spending burden on corporations which will pass those costs onto the consumer and reduce capital investments.
3) The prescription drug changes are wonderful but lets be honest.....you could make prescription drugs free and it wouldn't even budge the inflation needle.  Prescription drugs' YoY rate is 2.5% and flat.  
4) IRS tax enforcement - I guess one way to combat inflation is to take money out of everyone's pockets.  You can't spend money if you don't have any.  :)  I personally support all ideas and forms of tax enforcement...Considering how earners making less than 75k/year account for half of all audits, i doubt this has the impact some will think it'll have.  
5) The clean energy tax credits are nice.  But again, how does this impact inflation?  It doesn't.  These benefits are to be realized over a 10 year span.....then who will end up taking advantage of these credits?  People/businesses that can already afford clean energy solutions.  

All of this is tied to the ridiculous notion (and hotly debated topic) that deficit reduction combats inflation.

Sources:

Democrat's white paper/one pager on the benefits of the bill:

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/inflation_reduction_act_one_page_summary.pdf

Understanding fiscal deficits and their impacts on the economy

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/021015/what-effect-fiscal-deficit-economy.asp

Minimum tax impacts

https://taxfoundation.org/book-minimum-tax-analysis/

Detailed CPI

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.t02.htm
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 09:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was referring to GOP when I mentioned horseblinders.

I agree it was all about preventing Biden from getting a win. No idea WTF your mixing with your other point.

Where did I say your wrong? Also, I was blaming the republicans. As far as my hatred comment, it’s not like it’s a mystery. 

Could be I misunderstood you, H-Dog.

If so, my apologies.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
So the best I can tell the Republicans held up the bill for a week because of some concerns they had, then it was passed a week later. Evil.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 08:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So the best I can tell the Republicans held up the bill for a week because of some concerns they had, then it was passed a week later. Evil.

They passed the bill, then because of a technicality of House rules had to vote again with 1 line removed, they voted no, then a week later voted yes on the EXACT SAME BILL.  They were having a temper tantrum because Schumer and Manchin announced they had an agreement on the Inflation bill.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 10:20 PM)pally Wrote: They passed the bill, then because of a technicality of House rules had to vote again with 1 line removed, they voted no, then a week later voted yes on the EXACT SAME BILL.  They were having a temper tantrum because Schumer and Manchin announced they had an agreement on the Inflation bill.

That's just a guess on your part.  They wanted something changed, found out it wasn't going to happen and they were taking too much heat, and then voted for it.  Minus the 11 who didn't vote for it, the others were always going to vote for it.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 10:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's just a guess on your part.  They wanted something changed, found out it wasn't going to happen and they were taking too much heat, and then voted for it.  Minus the 11 who didn't vote for it, the others were always going to vote for it.  

but they had already passed the bill once.  The same people who voted yes then turned around and voted no on the same bill with one inconsequential line removed. Suddenly they found a problem with them right after the inflation bill deal was announced.  They played petty politics and got caught.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote