Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting wood trim question
We are redoing the bathroom and the wife wants all the golden oak floor trim and door trim redone to white.  I took off all the trim and was trying to paint it white, but it doesn't look good at all with all the bristle marks in it.  would it be better to paint it with a foam brush or spray it?  would spray paint work?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If you have a good brush and fresh paint there shouldn't be any "brush marks". Maybe just thinning the paint or getting a new brush will help.

Spray paint will work. Spray paint is a lot more expensive per square foot of coverage, but if you are just doing trim that should not matter.

If you are painting unfinished wood trim then you might get marks just where the grain of the wood swells up from the wet paint. In that case you will have to do some sanding between coats.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 01:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: We are redoing the bathroom and the wife wants all the golden oak floor trim and door trim redone to white.  I took off all the trim and was trying to paint it white, but it doesn't look good at all with all the bristle marks in it.  would it be better to paint it with a foam brush or spray it?  would spray paint work?

Do you have decks and/or privacy fencing?  I ask, because if you do, it might behoove you to purchase an airless sprayer from Lowe's or Home Depot.  Talk about a time saver.....and material saver if you do it right.  Go on and get you one of those, some sawhorses, and spray away....so long as it's worth the investment for you.

I bought a Grayco for around 270 bucks a couple years back, and cut my deck/siding/fencing stain time by a good 75%.  I actually used less product too.  Wish I had bought one when I bought the house.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
You can use a mini roller, but the trick to using a brush on it when it's detached is to wet your brush with paint and do one final run down it after you put a coat on. It will smooth out any brush strokes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 02:48 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Do you have decks and/or privacy fencing?  I ask, because if you do, it might behoove you to purchase an airless sprayer from Lowe's or Home Depot.  Talk about a time saver.....and material saver if you do it right.  Go on and get you one of those, some sawhorses, and spray away....so long as it's worth the investment for you.

I bought a Grayco for around 270 bucks a couple years back, and cut my deck/siding/fencing stain time by a good 75%.  I actually used less product too.  Wish I had bought one when I bought the house.

Airless sprayer? Hmm

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Airless sprayer? Hmm

http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/product-type/paint-sprayers.html

You can thank me later dog if you have much staining/sealing to do. :andy:

(they have an internal piston that creates vacuum, and require no pneumatics, hence the term "airless")

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:10 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/product-type/paint-sprayers.html

You can thank me later dog if you have much staining/sealing to do. :andy:

(they have an internal piston that creates vacuum, and require no pneumatics, hence the term "airless")

I was researching before you posted the link. Lol... amazing. I have little to zero skills in painting. Sure I’ve painted the walls and stained some doors before and I hated every minute (well, unless I had lots of beer and could crank the stereo up full blast to either AC/DC or limp biscuit). This thing looks cool.

We need a new roof soon and trying to talk wife into metal roof but she wants shingles. She mentioned yesterday that if we did metal, she would like to paint the house (brick ranch style). Although I cringed at the thought of painting the brick, this would make it easy.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 10:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was researching before you posted the link. Lol... amazing. I have little to zero skills in painting. Sure I’ve painted the walls and stained some doors before and I hated every minute (well, unless I had lots of beer and could crank the stereo up full blast to either AC/DC or limp biscuit). This thing looks cool.

We need a new roof soon and trying to talk wife into metal roof but she wants shingles. She mentioned yesterday that if we did metal, she would like to paint the house (brick ranch style). Although I cringed at the thought of painting the brick, this would make it easy.

Way easy.  My house has cedar siding on the upper level, so it needs a cedar toned sealer about every 5 years.  The first time I did it, I used a shitty Wagner sprayer and an extension ladder.  It took me three days, I had to take a week's vacation to do it all.  This time, I rented a pull behind telescoping lift for 130 bucks for the weekend, and bought the sprayer.  I did TWO coats in about 6 hours.  Most of that was repositioning the lift. :andy:

My neighbor was so impressed, he went out and bought one the next day for his decks.

Reply/Quote
The trim most likely has a finish that you are painting over that repeals water based products such as paint. 3 options:

Sand it then paint it

Paint it with oil based paint

Just buy new trim
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote