Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palmer's thoughts on Bengals pick, playing #1 overall QB's
(01-10-2020, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree with him except maybe on Chase Young who has disappeared lately. He seems to have blow up games and
then disappears when teams focus on taking him out of the equation. Joe Burrow is just the obvious choice, I don't think there 
is a choice honestly anymore unless Burrow gets injured (knock on wood).

Even an injured Burrow is the right choice (unless it's a *knock on wood* career threatening injury.)
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 07:07 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Even an injured Burrow is the right choice (unless it's a *knock on wood* career threatening injury.)

True.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No way we sit Burrow for a year.  In fact I think it is safe to say that in today's NFL any QB good enough to be taken with the #1 pick by any team is going to be expected to start immediately.

If we trade the #1 pick for a bunch of other picks and take a QB later in the draft then maybe he sits, but I doubt it even then.  Dalton was a 2nd round pick and he started opening day.

If we end up taking Tua then maybe we give him a year to heal, but I pray that does not happen.

This - the whole post.   But the bolded part should encourage us.   If anyone is good enough to start right away it's Burrow.

We just better make sure we give him the protection and the weapons he needs.  That needs to be the # 1 off season goal.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 02:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ben and Eli didn't sit a year. Mahomes only sat because they had Smith. 

It's a waste to sit a guy for an entire year with the way salaries are now and with the way most college offenses are now. QBs are much more able to come in and start right away (taking a few lumps) than to sit where they take their lumps in year two. That's 1 wasted year and one probably not very productive year. 

I never said Rapistburger sat a year. I said of the guys who might get into the HoF based off multiple SB wins (Ben/Eli) ONE of them sat. 

Eli Manning sat the first 10 weeks of his rookie season. He clearly needed to sit the rest of the season too, because he was atrocious when they put him in after Week 10.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I blame Randall Cunningham for giving birth to the hybrid QBs.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 05:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I know some don't really care what Carson has to say about anything, but I always like to see what former Bengals have to say about Bengal related topics, and he shares some of his thoughts in a recent Draft Wire article.

On Bengals taking Burrow or Chase Young:

"I think between Joe Burrow and the Ohio State defensive end Chase Young, the Bengals have a decision to make and I’m not sure there’s a wrong decision between those guys. I think both of those guys are gonna have phenomenal careers. At the end of the day, the quarterback position is just so important and Cincinnati desperately needs a quarterback. I can see Joe Burrow going No. 1 overall there. With Chase Young and the year he had, he looks like an absolute game-wrecker at the NFL level. Again, the quarterback position is just so important and there’s so few great quarterbacks.

I think Burrow is gonna be a great NFL quarterback. He’s led his team up until this point, he’s been extremely tough in the pocket. He’s more athletic than people give him credit for. We’ve seen him use his legs a little bit and I think that’s an underrated trait to his game. Quarterbacks running in the SEC typically translate over well to the pro game. If you can run, take off and get 10 yards here and there against SEC defenses, there’s a good chance that you can do that at the NFL level as well. He’s that type of athlete and he has a dynamic skill-set."

On playing or sitting a #1 overall rookie QB:

"I think that’s more a function of the salary cap and rookie wage scale. When I was coming out, and Phillip Rivers did the same thing by sitting for a year, that was before the rookie wage scale. We were signing six-year contracts back then. Nowadays, these guys are forced to sign four-year contracts. The team and the players don’t have the luxury of sitting and waiting. We’re talking about missing out on 25% of their rookie contracts by sitting them for even just a year. 

When it’s all said and done, that gives them just three years to make a decision on their future and if they’re gonna reward a guy with a big, massive contract extension. I think it’s a function of the way the salary cap and the rookie wage scale is set up nowadays. Ideally, I think it’s important for a guy to sit and watch for a year. You just don’t see that anymore for the reasons I outlined above."
I'm not buying that Chase Young is the best player in the draft, as some say.  I think he benefited from the fact that Ohio State's most difficult opponent that they beat was ranked #8.  We should take Burrow unless we get a phenomenal deal and trade down.  I'm leaning towards Burrow just because we haven't been picking well in the draft lately.  As far as Carson goes he has toned it down after that rant about Mike Brown. I wonder why.
Reply/Quote
With the Bengals, Carson Palmer went 46-51.

Andy Dalton’s record is 70-61-2.

This does not imply Dalton was the better quarterback of the two; clearly he was not. Palmer was a legitimate first pick with lots of talent and potential.

After reading several post-retirement interviews with Carson Palmer and understanding his views on the Bengals in particular, I think he might make a terrific general manager.
Reply/Quote
first good thing the "Quitter" said since he left the Nati
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2020, 10:14 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm not buying that Chase Young is the best player in the draft, as some say.  I think he benefited from the fact that Ohio State's most difficult opponent that they beat was ranked #8.  We should take Burrow unless we get a phenomenal deal and trade down.  I'm leaning towards Burrow just because we haven't been picking well in the draft lately.  As far as Carson goes he has toned it down after that rant about Mike Brown. I wonder why.

I think CY will be a very, very good player, perhaps even great ? But I'm not so sure he's gonna be a super star game changer.

And like FIK says below it may be CP is planning on a future NFL related job.
Reply/Quote
you fix the offense and you fix the defense a little by default. 3 and outs and turnovers really put extra pressure on D. If O is bad D feels like they need a stop every single time. Then you have guys trying to do too much and that's when mistakes happen, See the Bears as an example for this season and the Pats toward the end of the season
Reply/Quote
they desperately need a qb = andy dalton suxors
Reply/Quote