Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parler Gone but Not Forgotten...
Parer got shut down last night after Amazon decided they'd no longer host their servers. This came on the back of every other tech vendor bailing on them, and even their lawyers decided it was time to leave. While it was shut down at midnight it was the collapse of those support services that set off a chain of events that will make a lot of people regret ever going there...

[Image: ErdPZZEUUAAjMjt?format=png&name=small]

Essentially what you now have is verifiable records of hate speech, inciting a riot, death threats, etc. The "free speech" app was so horribly run all those fans of free speech are going to find out soon that their speech can still have consequences. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: Parer got shut down last night after Amazon decided they'd no longer host their servers. This came on the back of every other tech vendor bailing on them, and even their lawyers decided it was time to leave. While it was shut down at midnight it was the collapse of those support services that set off a chain of events that will make a lot of people regret ever going there...

Essentially what you now have is verifiable records of hate speech, inciting a riot, death threats, etc. The "free speech" app was so horribly run all those fans of free speech are going to find out soon that their speech can still have consequences. 

I saw some chatter about all the info being downloaded and didn't know if it was true or how it would work.

As an aside my conservative friends have been ranting about "free speech" since DJT got banned and they don't seem to want to hear about why they are wrong.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Those poor terrorists...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: I saw some chatter about all the info being downloaded and didn't know if it was true or how it would work.

As an aside my conservative friends have been ranting about "free speech" since DJT got banned and they don't seem to want to hear about why they are wrong.

Our State Senator here (who is usually an incredibly sensible conservative) posted a tweet on FB that denounced the ban, citing big tech companies going against the 1A. I wanted to jump and state that I knew government was bought and paid for by corporations, but didn't think that they were considered "government" and that people were protected from them infringing on speech. I also wanted to ask for a detailed position on private property rights. However, I had seen this post while waiting in a drive-thru and people beat me to the questions by the time I got home. The Senator is a nice guy and I wouldn't be too harsh. He's a Republican and he actually sent me an audio message a year and a half ago, wishing me luck in my City Council run as an Independent.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: Parer got shut down last night after Amazon decided they'd no longer host their servers. This came on the back of every other tech vendor bailing on them, and even their lawyers decided it was time to leave. While it was shut down at midnight it was the collapse of those support services that set off a chain of events that will make a lot of people regret ever going there...

Interesting. And censorship of free speech appears to be the new priority issue in right wing media, now that social media companies have collectively violated Trump's free speech rights by shutting down his attempts to incite riots from their platforms.  

Maria Bartiromo has dedicated her program yesterday to reveal this blatant attempt of "the left" to shut down conservative speech.  We now live in a totalitarian society, she maintains, in which the mainstream media function as state media. Charlie Kirk agreed, while reminding us of Trump's many accoplishments as president.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Those poor terrorists...

Did you see the video of the one crying in the airport upon learning he's on a no-fly list, now? It's glorious. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:33 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Our State Senator here (who is usually an incredibly sensible conservative) posted a tweet on FB that denounced the ban, citing big tech companies going against the 1A. I wanted to jump and state that I knew government was bought and paid for by corporations, but didn't think that they were considered "government" and that people were protected from them infringing on speech. I also wanted to ask for a detailed position on private property rights. However, I had seen this post while waiting in a drive-thru and people beat me to the questions by the time I got home. The Senator is a nice guy and I wouldn't be too harsh. He's a Republican and he actually sent me an audio message a year and a half ago, wishing me luck in my City Council run as an Independent.  

I realize that some elected officials have to pay it lip service to keep their base but I can't believe they all believe it.

I have a Free Speech meme I share anytime this kind of thing comes up about "censorship"

[Image: 137239117_10224734688258617_471748018194...e=6021E4F4]

I've even posted it on these boards before.

For *SOME* reason all the conservatives got really mad about it this past weekend.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did you see the video of the one crying in the airport upon learning he's on a no-fly list, now? It's glorious. LOL

Link ?
For.....um.....science.
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: I realize that some elected officials have to pay it lip service to keep their base but I can't believe they all believe it.

I have a Free Speech meme I share anytime this kind of thing comes up about "censorship"

[Image: 137239117_10224734688258617_471748018194...e=6021E4F4]

I've even posted it on these boards before.

For *SOME* reason all the conservatives got really mad about it this past weekend.   Smirk

*saved*

Oddly enough, this Senator has brazenly condemned many of Trumps actions and encouraged the acceptance of Biden's win. He is terming out after this cycle, so he's not worried at all about his base. Honestly, he's always spoke his mind and conscience. He's also been extremely good about returning communication and responding with decorum to questions and constructive criticism. I'd honestly like to see him make a gubernatorial run here in Ohio. His name is Jay Hottinger, should you ever get bored and want to look him up.

Reply/Quote
If you want to explain it in a way some of these people may understand try this. Tell them that these tech platforms are like a bakery. Then tell them that this terroristic speech is like a cake and conservatives who want to disperse it are a gay couple. The "bakery" has a right as a private business to reject the "gay couple" and not make them a "cake".

That should make sense to them, right?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did you see the video of the one crying in the airport upon learning he's on a no-fly list, now? It's glorious. LOL

YES!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: If you want to explain it in a way some of these people may understand try this. Tell them that these tech platforms are like a bakery. Then tell them that this terroristic speech is like a cake and conservatives who want to disperse it are a gay couple. The "bakery" has a right as a private business to reject the "gay couple" and not make them a "cake".

That should make sense to them, right?

Well, no. Still won't make sense. 

Free speech applies to stuff they believe is right. Not to the other side. 

Also, your explanation was too long.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:05 PM)Dill Wrote: Well, no. Still won't make sense. 

Free speech applies to stuff they believe is right. Not to the other side. 

Also, your explanation was too long.

Maybe try, "Capitalisim!"?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 12:39 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Link ?
For.....um.....science.
Ninja

(01-11-2021, 12:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: YES!

Tagging Rotobeast for science.

I love that video. It's so good.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:07 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe try, "Capitalisim!"?

Trump himself will make a social media site as soon as he's out of office.  Hold tight, folks. Of course you'll need to donate about a billion bucks to him first, but that's a small price for freedom.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump himself will make a social media site as soon as he's out of office.  Hold tight, folks.  Of course you'll need to donate about a billion bucks to him first, but that's a small price for freedom.

Given his success at start ups how could it fail?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump himself will make a social media site as soon as he's out of office.  Hold tight, folks.  Of course you'll need to donate about a billion bucks to him first, but that's a small price for freedom.

And "news" network.
Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 01:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: Given his success at start ups how could it fail?  Ninja

Trump has the golden goose now, like with the election legal defense he just says "I'll do this if you give me money" then he sets up a slush fund that has no strings attached, takes the money, blames whomever his donators hate and pockets the cash.  Give me a billion bucks and I'll make a patriot-friendly super great Trump Media social media site.

*1 billion dollars and 3 years later*

Trump - Oh, it's coming...but the damn liberals and republicans and um what else do people hate...lima beans.  Those are all stopping it.  Give me more money.

(01-11-2021, 01:15 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: And "news" network.
Rolleyes

This just in...Donald Trump has a great penis and awesome hair and is better than Abraham Lincoln.
Reply/Quote
https://www.rawstory.com/jeanine-pirro-kristallnacht/

BTW, this is basically kristallnacht...

Reply/Quote
Unless I am mistaken Parler was a platform that promised zero censorship. It may have been started as a right wing response to twitter but I believe the primary motivation for it was zero censorship. Because of that I'm not a fan of our big tech overlords deciding that we couldn't have a platform in that mold. There are people who will abuse freedom when given it, but I still prefer more freedom over less, especially when it's companies like Amazon making the decisions.
Reply/Quote