Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parler vs Twitter
Parler has been promoted as a "free speech" site that will compete with Twitter and it has gained the support of lots of prominent conservatives who believe they are censored on social media platforms.

Parler promises no censorship.

From their site:

Quote:Parler is an unbiased social media focused on real user experiences and engagement. Our content is moderated based off the FCC and the Supreme court of the United States which enables free expression without violence and a lack of censorship. Parler never shares your personal data.

If you are familiar with such things there is a parody account on Twitter called "Devin Nunes' Cow" that has infuriated DEvin Nunes so much he has gone to court to find out who really runs that account...and lost...a couple times.

So the parody account sets up on Parler too. 

And this happens:

To me it's funny, but it's also kind of sad that the conservatives created a "safe space" for themselves while calling others snowflakes for four years.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
This sort of thing has been going on for a while, now. Gab is another, similar, site where it is just a haven for far-right extremists under the guise of "free speech."
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-30-2020, 08:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This sort of thing has been going on for a while, now. Gab is another, similar, site where it is just a haven for far-right extremists under the guise of "free speech."

I remember Gab...it was mostly those types.  Parler, from what I gathered initially, was trying to be more "mainstream conservative".  
You mask is slipping.
Stuff like this always reminds me of Wrestlemania III where Nikoli Volkoff was singing the Russian national anthem to a chorus of boos and Hacksaw Jim Duggan chased him out of the ring with his trusty 2x4 and took the mic and said that he's not singing that Russian national anthem because this is the land of the free and the home of the brave. The crowd loved it.

Good ol' "freedom."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Good. This is exactly how the free market is supposed to work.
(06-30-2020, 09:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good.  This is exactly how the free market is supposed to work.

Right, I don't think anyone is rolling eyes for that so much as neo-cons shouting "FREEDOM" when they likely mean "freedom to say and believe what we say and believe."  
(06-30-2020, 10:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, I don't think anyone is rolling eyes for that so much as neo-cons shouting "FREEDOM" when they likely mean "freedom to say and believe what we say and believe."  

My comment was tongue in cheek.

Parler will never be anything compared to Twitter.  So the "free market solution" leaves the neo-cons out in the cold.
(06-30-2020, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My comment was tongue in cheek.

Parler will never be anything compared to Twitter.  So the "free market solution" leaves the neo-cons out in the cold.

I figured.  Rarely do I bring up Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a real argument.  This topic is some open and shut stuff.
"Free speech" is an inherently unstable concept, subject to all kinds of implicit social/political standards that people don't think much about until they are violated.

It is remarkable though how often American conservatives create free speech spaces and then start throwing people out of them for exercising speech.

I logged into one about 20 years to comment on an interpretation of "jihad" from the Qu'ran. I checked back later to see someone had responded. When I tried to respond, I found I had been suspended for saying that "Jihad" is used by most Muslims today as a reference to internal struggle to overcome temptation/evil. Can't remember the title of this board now, but it had the word "freedom" in it.
Better watch what ya'll say about Hacksaw Jim Duggan! HEYYYYY OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

[Image: 7Y6OQ4H7OFCORI7T2WD43LITYY.jpg]
(06-30-2020, 05:59 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Better watch what ya'll say about Hacksaw Jim Duggan! HEYYYYY OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

[Image: 7Y6OQ4H7OFCORI7T2WD43LITYY.jpg]

Nice post, tough guy!
Quite a few rules now.

[Image: Ebwpc-TMXs-AEm6m2.jpg]

I'll let Popehat take it from here:

[Image: a1.jpg]
[Image: a2.jpg]
[Image: a3.jpg]
You mask is slipping.