Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Part 1 Of 3 - Chase or Sewell
So it seems the controversy for most at this point is do we select Ja'Marr Chase or Penei Sewell with the 5th overall selection and I can see the merit of both selections. With that in mind this is part 1 of 3 and in this part I will first outline in no particular what I feel we need to be looking at with our position groups at this point.

QB - We all know we have our franchise QB in Joe Burrow and at this time the only thing behind him is Brandon Allen. With the right value there could be a selection of a young QB from round 4 down.

RB - We all know that Gio is no longer a Bengal and we know that Mixon has seen time off with injury. I believe we could have our Gio replacement in Trayveon Williams but I do not feel that Perine is the guy I want should Mixon see any amount of time off the field. I see this certainly as a need and depending on value anything round 2 I could see as an option.

WR - While I do not feel that we are as receiver deficient as others I do feel we need to spend a relatively high selection on the position. Some will argue the need for a 4.3 deep threat and yes speed is great but I do not find it near the top of importance for a receiver. CBs in this league are as fast as most receivers and just because you run 4.3 does not mean you can catch a ball. What does that speed mean against a zone? What has the league done to combat this? The receivers have got bigger, stronger, and the back shoulder throw has become a staple in the league. Getting vertical is a great threat but the bottom line in the NFL is 10 yards consistently. I see precise route running, functional football speed, football IQ, and great hands as important criteria for a receiver especially with a QB that has the accuracy of Joe Burrow.

TE - While the TE has not shown to be a big weapon in the Taylor offense or of the offenses that he has been a part of such as Rams I would not see them passing on the right value at the position. I do believe that any TE selection would have to be a complete TE that can help them in the receiving game as well as blocking in the run game.

OT - Signing Reiff was huge and Jonah Williams staying healthy is a must. What do we have behind them? I feel like Fred Johnson under Pollack could have a big NFL future as a RT but that is an if and I would not let that feeling deter a selection of OT in this draft. I feel with health of Williams and the age of Reiff this is absolutely a priority.

OG - I feel better about this position already just having Pollack back. I think Spain and Adenji could be players for starting roles but neither would deter me from making a selection at any point of the draft at the OG position.

C - I like Hopkins and I feel he is a really good center. This would not deter me from making a selection at any point in the draft at this position. Drafting a starting center puts Hopkins in play at the OG position as well.

DE - I think this is in the top half of priorities for this team. I really like Hubbard and I feel he is just learning how good he can be. He may never be an elite pass rusher but he will be a model of consistency with a very complete all around game that you better not take lightly. I like Hendrickson and I feel like Hubbard he is just learning how high a ceiling he has. If he can turn the majority of his breakout season in a consistent model then he could flirt with elite pass rusher. You can never have too many good pass rushers in the NFL.

DT - Even with Geno being cut I feel as good about this position group as any group the Bengals have. I really like the trio of Reader, Ogunjobi, and Daniels. Which Tupou do we see this season and will Wren begin to match performance and overall ability? While I do not see this as a top half priority it could as well depend on value available as pass rush is vital from anywhere on the field.

CB - I like the group they have but what they are lacking is elite shut down CB and size. Like pass rushers you can never have too many good cover corners in the NFL. Having guys that cherish being on an island is a great asset. I would not pass on a elite playmaker anywhere in the draft at CB.

LB - They are young but I really like this group of players. With the quartet of Pratt, Wilson, Bailey, and Davis-Gaither I do not see this as a big priority as others may. I feel that this group just needs time on the field to show their abilities.

S - How can you not like Bates III and Bell? What an awesome tandem. I like Wilson as well and feel confident if he needs to come off the bench. Not a priority but I could see a selection of the right value after the 3rd.

So this is where I feel we are at moving into the draft. Look forward to hearing what you guys think about each position group.

In part 2 I will be doing a PFN no trade simulation with Bengals selecting Ja'Marr Chase with the 5th overall selection and then trying to use the remaining selections to add value to the roster and try to improve areas of need. Part 3 will then be the same criteria with the Bengals selecting Penei Sewell at 5.

*The mock drafts in part 1 and 2 will be simulations so the selections will be of players remaining available and not just mock drafts of whom I would like the Bengals to take at each selection.
Reply/Quote
Great breakdown! I agree with about 95% of this. Honestly I think if this defense can get on the same page, they can be very good!
Reply/Quote