Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parting Observations and Thoughts
I don't usually spend much time in here after the Bengals season is over, and I just wanted to give final observations and thoughts.

Again, I don't expect much at all to change as long as MB has the baton, so, for me, it's the standard franchise, 'expect the worst hope for the best' approach.

After seeing Rex Burkhead get 119 yards and 2 TDs today against the number 2 run defense, I don't see how they can't consider him as the RB next year with Gio, giving Rex a new contract.

Not sure about Hill's situation since he is still under contract.

Outside of that, I will keep an eye on which free agents they keep and how the draft goes.

The bright side of Marvin staying is, the year after his 4-11-1 and 4-12 seasons, the Bengals made the playoffs, so there is that to hope for.

Happy New Year to all the Bengal forum folks and we'll see what 2017 brings!
Reply/Quote
I am all for the subbing Rex for Hill outcry. After the Pittsburgh playoff loss I was hoping Hill would use that as motivation this year & have a career year, .....not so much

There has to be some accountability in this franchise & because if that & a million other reasons I really don't want to get into, Zampese HAS to be shown the door.

If there is a choice of either Zietler or Kirkpatrick to resign, I'll choose Zietler. I would like to keep em both, but I also know how this franchise operates.

In the draft, would like to see high picks on a LB, Safety, & Oline.

Till next year Who Dey Nation
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 06:51 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: I am all for the subbing Rex for Hill outcry. After the Pittsburgh playoff loss I was hoping Hill would use that as motivation this year & have a career year, .....not so much

There has to be some accountability in this franchise & because if that & a million other reasons I really don't want to get into, Zampese HAS to be shown the door.

If there is a choice of either Zietler or Kirkpatrick to resign, I'll choose Zietler. I would like to keep em both, but I also know how this franchise operates.

In the draft, would like to see high picks on a LB, Safety, & Oline.

Till next year Who Dey Nation

eh Williams was learning a new position I'll give him another year if he still plays poorly I'll take the Eric berry and ed Reed combo in Malik hooker next year. Also is known I think we need an aggressive run blocking center in elflien in the second. But lb should be a major concern heading into this draft.
Reply/Quote
Agreed on Rex situation. Gio regardless of YPC is more valuable than Hill for his catch passing ability too. Too bad Gio is almost as prone as Mr. Glass at getting hurt. Shit looks good on paper...the thing Hill probably does better than the other backs is block, although I didn't see any issues with Rex the last few games.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I saw Rex dragging guys around all game. Today was probably the most fun I've had watching a Bengals RB all year.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
On women I prefer it in the middle.

For example:
[Image: o-HAIR-PART-facebook.jpg]

But I'm not against something on the side:

[Image: How-To-Make-Different-Hair-Parting-Styles-51.jpg]

For dudes, I could care less.

Because I'm straight.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 06:51 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: There has to be some accountability in this franchise & because if that & a million other reasons I really don't want to get into, Zampese HAS to be shown the door.

Offense looked like crap this year, but I blame the o-line more than Zampese.

Firing a head coach or a co-ordinator after just one season is bush league.  You have to give a guy at least two seasons.  If we were dead last in offense this year you might have had a point, but we finished 13th in yards and 24th in points.

OC's Bill Musgrave (Raiders), Rob Chudzinski (Colts), and Sean McVay (Redskins), all had top ten scoring units this year, but everyone of them finished 21st or lower his first season as an OC.  Knee-jerk over-reactions are a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense looked like crap this year, but I blame the o-line more than Zampese.

Firing a head coach or a co-ordinator after just one season is bush league.  You have to give a guy at least two seasons.  If we were dead last in offense this year you might have had a point, but we finished 13th in yards and 24th in points.

OC's Bill Musgrave (Raiders), Rob Chudzinski (Colts), and Sean McVay (Redskins), all had top ten scoring units this year, but everyone of them finished 21st or lower his first season as an OC.  Knee-jerk over-reactions are a bad idea.

I couldn't agree more 
Reply/Quote
Observation 1. Good things happen when Hewitt plays enough.
Observation 2. TJ Johnson had a good game, and might be an answer to the season-long problem on the o-line.
Observation 3. Dre K. also had a good game, but he's such a drama queen.
Observation 4. Burkhead! Did you notice how happy ALL the Bengals were for his success. That's a well-liked teammate.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 10:49 PM)snowy Wrote: Observation 1. Good things happen when Hewitt plays enough.
Observation 2. TJ Johnson had a good game, and might be an answer to the season-long problem on the o-line.
Observation 3. Dre K. also had a good game, but he's such a drama queen.
Observation 4. Burkhead! Did you notice how happy ALL the Bengals were for his success. That's a well-liked teammate.

Observation 5:  Game was a hybrid preseason game especially on the Ravens side.. there run defense was not what they have been this year for sure... looked to me they still had the Steeler loss hang over.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense looked like crap this year, but I blame the o-line more than Zampese.

I agree Fred the line has to take the brunt of the blame here, however minus Smith, these are the same guys that opened RB holes, kept Dalton upright, & scored 7 more points a game more last year under Hue. I do not think Zampese put these guys in the best position to win this year. Wheather it was blocking assignments, scheme, or lack of adjustments, these guys just didn't respond to the new OC. Not to mention being at the bottom of the league in 4th Q scoring. Zampese was the QB coach for this team for 12 years, so letting him go after 13 years not really Bush League. Changes have to be made, & if one thinks a new RB and say a new Center, or just give em one more year will solve all Offenseive woahs, that's Cleveland type of thinking.
Reply/Quote
They were pretty bad last year too. It was just covered up by Andy's super quick release and experienced receivers plus Eifert healthy. WE had issues running last season too.
Reply/Quote

Agreed.  You have to give Zamp another year.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:37 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: if one thinks a new RB and say a new Center, or just give em one more year will solve all Offenseive woahs, that's Cleveland type of thinking.

Actually Cleveland is the king of the knee-jerk overreaction.  They have been quicker to fire coaches than any team in the league.  

And look where it has gotten them.
Reply/Quote

What about a new offensive line coach? The current occupant of that position has a 25 year body of work we can examine.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:17 AM)Joelist Wrote: They were pretty bad last year too. It was just covered up by Andy's super quick release

This is not true at all.

Andy did not suddenly get much slower releasing the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 07:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Agreed on Rex situation. Gio regardless of YPC is more valuable than Hill for his catch passing ability too. Too bad Gio is almost as prone as Mr. Glass at getting hurt. Shit looks good on paper...the thing Hill probably does better than the other backs is block, although I didn't see any issues with Rex the last few games.

Hill is the worst blocking RB the Bengals have...he is poor in blitz pickup.  Also, FWIW (I know it was someone else's question):  Hill has a $1.2 million dollar cap hit and his dead money is just over $200,000, so releasing him essentially saves $1 million from the cap.  

I am not sure what his injury would do to the issue of releasing him, but I would want to give him time to seek a new team, out of respect.

Hill is not a bad guy, and this isn't sour grapes, but if I am looking at my team like a business and my goal is nothing less than winning a Super Bowl, then I release Hill.  See the thread on RBs.   
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 11:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not true at all.

Andy did not suddenly get much slower releasing the ball.

Actually, he did.  With Eifert and AJ out for a great deal of the season, and having to break in a couple rookies, it took time for some of them to create separation.  Ditto Lafell, in terms of just getting on the same page.  Andy did an outstanding job adjusting to all these new weapons.  

Only 8 INTs all season with over 4,000 yards and not much of a running game?  Outstanding.  
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 07:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Agreed on Rex situation. Gio regardless of YPC is more valuable than Hill for his catch passing ability too. Too bad Gio is almost as prone as Mr. Glass at getting hurt. Shit looks good on paper...the thing Hill probably does better than the other backs is block, although I didn't see any issues with Rex the last few games.

Gio has suffered some pretty nasty hits. I wouldn't classify him as injury prone just yet. I know you said "almost," but just wanted to throw that out there. I think Gio would have a better chance of getting injured though because he's a scrapper and plays with heart until the whistle blows. I think a player has a higher probability of injury when they don't quit.

Reply/Quote
Observations:

Owner:
Same ol' Mikey Brown, a child mind doing a adult's job.

Coaching:
1. Lack of discipline.
2. Lack of imagination.
3. Lack of change when change was obviously needed.
4. Clapping.
5. Defense did improve as the season went on. Offense? Not so much.
6. Paul Alexander earned a pink slip.

Predictions:
1. Little will change.
2. Clapping will continue.
3. Paul Alexander will be retained.
4. Chances of a playoff win next year are lower than they were at the start of 2016.

Reply/Quote