Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parting Observations and Thoughts
(01-02-2017, 11:59 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Gio has suffered some pretty nasty hits. I wouldn't classify him as injury prone just yet. I know you said "almost," but just wanted to throw that out there. I think Gio would have a better chance of getting injured though because he's a scrapper and plays with heart until the whistle blows. I think a player has a higher probability of injury when they don't quit.

I think a lot of Gio's hits were a product of the predictability of the scheme when he was on the field.  Someone always was spying on Gio and would have him sighted up on short roll outs and screens.  See the thread on State of the Bengals:  RB for more about how to solve that predictability.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:01 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Observations:

Owner:
Same ol' Mikey Brown, a child mind doing a adult's job.

Coaching:
1. Lack of discipline.
2. Lack of imagination.
3. Lack of change when change was obviously needed.
4. Clapping.
5. Defense did improve as the season went on. Offense? Not so much.
6. Paul Alexander earned a pink slip.

Predictions:
1. Little will change.
2. Clapping will continue.
3. Paul Alexander will be retained.
4. Chances of a playoff win next year are lower than they were at the start of 2016.

It's day 1 after the end of our season. Hoping something, anything, is done to increase our probability of rebounding next year. However, I anticipate more of the same.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 11:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What about a new offensive line coach?  The current occupant of that position has a 25 year body of work we can examine.

If you look at his whole body of work it is pretty good.  That is why Sports Illustrated chose him as the best O-line coach in the league last year.

However, unlike some people here, I saw a drop in the pass protection in '16 after it being pretty solid for the last few years.  If you are one of the people who see no difference in the pass protection and think Andy just needs to get rid of the ball quicker, then there is no real problem with the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Offense looked like crap this year, but I blame the o-line more than Zampese.

Firing a head coach or a co-ordinator after just one season is bush league.  You have to give a guy at least two seasons.  If we were dead last in offense this year you might have had a point, but we finished 13th in yards and 24th in points.

OC's Bill Musgrave (Raiders), Rob Chudzinski (Colts), and Sean McVay (Redskins), all had top ten scoring units this year, but everyone of them finished 21st or lower his first season as an OC.  Knee-jerk over-reactions are a bad idea.

Chud might be out of a job, as rumors swirling that they will fire the HC
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 08:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: On women I prefer it in the middle.

For example:
[Image: o-HAIR-PART-facebook.jpg]

But I'm not against something on the side:

[Image: How-To-Make-Different-Hair-Parting-Styles-51.jpg]

For dudes, I could care less.

Because I'm straight.
Yup, we see.. Denial IS a river in Egypt after all. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you are one of the people who see no difference in the pass protection and think Andy just needs to get rid of the ball quicker, then there is no real problem with the O-line.

I'm definitely not one of those people! Andy Dalton is getting the ball out faster than ever.
Reply/Quote
Bodine improved dramatically as the season wore on.
I don't hate the idea of trading Eifert. Uzi is good.
I love our rookie WR's and LaFell.
Hill doesn't work behind this line.
I'm fine with keeping Marvin considering the options.
Zampese deserves another year.
Piano man must go.

After the tie:
Giants: loss by 1
Bills: loss by 4
Ravens: loss by 5
Steelers: loss by 4
Texans: loss by 2

There is hope.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you look at his whole body of work it is pretty good.  That is why Sports Illustrated chose him as the best O-line coach in the league last year.

However, unlike some people here, I saw a drop in the pass protection in '16 after it being pretty solid for the last few years.  If you are one of the people who see no difference in the pass protection and think Andy just needs to get rid of the ball quicker, then there is no real problem with the O-line.

I think if your run game is solid, this would give Dalton more time instead of forcing quicker release times. The last thing Andy needs is more batted balls at the line. If you force defenses to stack the box looking for the run, then you prevent them from teeing off on #14. Since you think coaching isn't the issue here, then time to upgrade the run game personnel.
Reply/Quote